limpid

Match Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

12 hours ago, BigAl said:

We got relegated last year with 1 of the lowest point totals ever in Premier League history ,we have had to totally rebuild squad and they have had 3 games together since window has closed ,a point away to a team with one of the strongest home records in the league is a good result ,we are only 6 pts from playoffs and we will only improve .

The result isn't the problem. The performance is. We were hideously bad.

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

The result isn't the problem. The performance is. We were hideously bad.

No, we weren't - if we were, we'd have lost.

We were playing against a ridiculously defensive team who had 10 men in the box almost as soon as we got the ball over the halfway line.

It boggles the mind that people can forget that there was another team playing. 

On 17/09/2016 at 17:27, RimmyJimmer said:

When are people going to understand that we are not entitled to win games just because we are aston villa? A lot of you might think we are far to superior to even grace this league....well we're not. Spending loads of money also doesn't mean we'll have an instant team!!

A point away at ipswich is a good result. Yes we have been lucky this time. I am a little concerned about rdm's tactical nouse but he has to be given time for us to find out if he is good or shite.

Let me put it this way.....8 games into graham taylors reign in the old second division we were woeful..absolute rubbish. I watched us lose 0-5 in the simod cup at home to bradford for gods sake!! Now I'm not saying rdm is the next gt, but he has to be given this season for him to get his ideas across.

This knee jerk squealing after every game is really pathetic and is why a lot of villa fans are called fickle..and rightly so. Grow some balls and back the team...its going to be a long hard season

Mind you this is Villa Talk........

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

No, we weren't - if we were, we'd have lost.

We were playing against a ridiculously defensive team who had 10 men in the box almost as soon as we got the ball over the halfway line.

It boggles the mind that people can forget that there was another team playing. 

What on Earth? When did I say we were the only team playing? We were dreadful, and very lucky to escape with a point. They hit the post and had 2 cleared off the line, not bad for a team who played 10 men behind the ball as you say. One of the worst games I've been to in ages. We need to improve.  And quickly. 

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I was commenting on the fact that we played badly. We were lucky to get a point. I'm not sure what the confusion is.

You totally ignored Ipswich, the way that they played and how it affected us. That's what I don't understand.

Ipswich properly battled yesterday. Last season's team would have crumbled. It seems every team wants to show us up. We have to be better and match them for commitment which will take some doing.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

You totally ignored Ipswich, the way that they played and how it affected us. That's what I don't understand.

I didn't at all. But I don't think we played well. I don't think we were set up well and I think we made the wrong decisions both with and without the ball. I was at the game and that's just how I saw it. Ipswich looked decent and were very unlucky not to win.

The eight minutes of injury time at the end told you all you needed to know about our performance... It was one way traffic. A couple of Kodjia goal line clearances, the striking of the post... and relentless Ipswich pressure.

Eight minutes of injury time... To not have one meaningful 'last gasp' attempt isn't good enough.

But yeah, it will all come good, won't it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

The eight minutes of injury time at the end told you all you needed to know about our performance... It was one way traffic. A couple of Kodjia goal line clearances, the striking of the post... and relentless Ipswich pressure.

Eight minutes of injury time... To not have one meaningful 'last gasp' attempt isn't good enough.

But yeah, it will all come good, won't it?

There were eight minutes of injury time because of a bad injury. In a game with no goals and little real action until injury time itself, there would have been next to no injury time if it wasn't for said injury.

The game was relentless Ipswich pressure for a total of about 5/10 minutes at the end of the game during which they had a couple of shots cleared off the line (one was actually Cissokho) and hit the post as you said. Additionally during this 5/10 minutes Gollini made a decent save. Bringing on Adomah probably led to that spell to be honest as we lost a bit of shape with him in right wing back, a position where he clearly shouldn't be playing.

Barring that 10 minute spell the game was very even with Ipswich quite happy to stick as many men behind the ball as possible and block any shots that we did have. I think McCarthy was happy to keep it tight and then to try and nick the 3 points at the end which he very nearly did. For a game of relentless Ipswich pressure and one way traffic, our 58% of posession and 14 shots to their 17 seem rather odd particularly considering they must have had 6 or 7 of their shots in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Difficult game to really draw too much from. A point at Portman Road won't be one to look back at as a bad result when/if we don't go up but in light of the results we've had so far its disappointing.

Edited by tom_avfc

Â