Gareth Barry

ferguson1

On 22/09/2017 at 16:25, sne said:

barry-stickers-all-small-watermark.png

I still wish him well but the above makes me feel old. Barry's only 11 years younger than me, yet in the time Barry's gone from looking about 12 through to 20 years old, I've gone from looking 30 to about 50. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

I still wish him well but the above makes me feel old. Barry's only 11 years younger than me, yet in the time Barry's gone from looking about 12 through to 20 years old, I've gone from looking 30 to about 50. :unsure:

Haha yeah, but he's still no Javier Zanetti who I'm sure is a vampire.

CMEcg-aW8AAhRIp.jpg:large

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Blimey! That's almost unnatural! Assuming he's not already one of the 'undead', I think he'll pass away aged 132, looking about 28. In contrast, if I ever catch a glimpse of myself, I'm left thinking 'If god existed, he wouldn't be so cruel'.

• Like 2

He was a vital player with the Reds in the heart of the midfield alongside Gerrard, and the club icon says that Barry, who was then with Aston Villa, was originally earmarked as his replacement.

“He wanted to move Xabi on and bring in Gareth,” Gerrard told BT Sport. "Now, for me that wasn’t the right move, although I’m a big fan of Gareth Barry.

“I’d rather have him in to play alongside Xabi because I think they could have worked together.

Interesting comments Barry's good pal Stevie G about his rumored move to Liverpool.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/i-told-rafa-that-barry-couldnt-replace-alonso-at-liverpool/6mk1kzozpi921ipm3hhbp9yv4

Massive congratulations to Gareth Barry. I remember when he first broke into the Villa team and couldn't believe we had such a talented player coming through. How many different positions did he play for us? I mean, the guy just got on with it and played where asked to play, like a true professional. 

For me, our current demise all started when he left the club. He was the start of the exodus yet he had reason to go after spending so long here and turning down good moves to be loyal to us. He gave us a very large chunk of his career and I enjoyed the contribution he made to our football club. Definitely one of our best players of the last 20 years. 

I think the reactions from those in the game say it all really. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Massive congratulations to Gareth Barry. I remember when he first broke into the Villa team and couldn't believe we had such a talented player coming through. How many different positions did he play for us? I mean, the guy just got on with it and played where asked to play, like a true professional. 

For me, our current demise all started when he left the club. He was the start of the exodus yet he had reason to go after spending so long here and turning down good moves to be loyal to us. He gave us a very large chunk of his career and I enjoyed the contribution he made to our football club. Definitely one of our best players of the last 20 years. 

I think the reactions from those in the game say it all really. 

I agree with all the above except the ‘turning down good moves’ part which isn’t accurate. The only move he turned down was to Pompey before or just after O’Neill arrived.

He didn’t turn Liverpool down, he very much wanted to go but Villa said no. To his credit it didn’t impact on his performances the next season though.

Half the Holte End wanted him gone in the 02-03 season when he was playing as a winger. 

I remember telling people to shut up slagging him off and get behind him, he scored not long after.

What a wonderful person I am.  I'm the best. 

I joke, the point is, some rose tinted comments when the reality is, he got some dogs abuse before MON got here.  

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Half the Holte End wanted him gone in the 02-03 season when he was playing as a winger. 

I remember telling people to shut up slagging him off and get behind him, he scored not long after.

What a wonderful person I am.  I'm the best. 

I joke, the point is, some rose tinted comments when the reality is, he got some dogs abuse before MON got here.  

Yes he did, which is why he was close to going to Pompey. 

You can’t be a Villa manager unless you ruin good players playing them in stupid positions.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree with all the above except the ‘turning down good moves’ part which isn’t accurate. The only move he turned down was to Pompey before or just after O’Neill arrived.

He didn’t turn Liverpool down, he very much wanted to go but Villa said no. To his credit it didn’t impact on his performances the next season though.

Didn't he once get linked with a move to Spurs Trent? Maybe I am confusing that with the Liverpool saga.

On 24/09/2017 at 12:22, sne said:

Even allowing for the fact he had the advantage of already looking about 30 when he was 21, and there are 5 national team photos in there (i.e. duplicate years of the club seasons), that's still mighty impressive :)  He must be on the butterfly blood alright :thumb:

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think Barry was a bad LW personally. I remember the season until GT we had an awful side but he more than chipped in with goals on that side.

His pace or lack of made him a bit of a liability, I also think he would readily admit he lost his way/focus at that time.

• 9 months later...

Lost his brother Marc in a car accident last week.

Condolences.

LBION today pledged full support to Gareth Barry following confirmation that his 39-year-old brother Marc was killed in a road traffic accident last week.

Gareth was granted compassionate leave following the incident on Thursday morning, before returning to training this week. He featured in a behind-closed-doors match against Brentford on Tuesday. 

Head Coach Darren Moore said Gareth will be given full support from the Club and further compassionate leave if required. 

Darren said: “This is terrible news for Gareth and his family and everyone at the Club extends their condolences. 

“Gareth knows that he can rely on our full support and understanding in helping him cope with this tragic event.”

Police have issued an appeal for witnesses to the incident which happened in East Sussex at 7am on Thursday, July 19.

Gareth and his family ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult time.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/july/albion-offer-condolences-to-barry-family/

• Sad 4

Â