Pre match thread

Dirk

2 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

Injuries pending I wouldn't mind seeing this 4-4-2 line-up - Adomah for Ayew is an option, Bacuna for De Laet if injured. 

---------------------------Gollini-----------------------

De Laet---------Elphick-------Chester-------Amavi

Ayew---------Jedinak---------Tshibola-----Grealish

--------------Kodjia------------McCormack----------

Two full backs that can't defend with Ayew and Grealish infront of them who also don't defend. That's asking for trouble 

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Two full backs that can't defend with Ayew and Grealish infront of them who also don't defend. That's asking for trouble 

Have you watched the games? Ayew and Grealish have done plenty of defensive work and I just don't agree De Laet and Amavi can't defend - although I accept Amavi is rusty.

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

there is no easy games in this division.

There are loads of easy games in this division, most of the league are shite. We should be good enough to start beating plenty of teams home and away starting with Ipswich. If we don't then the manager will be under huge pressure and rightly so.

Money buys success. We've spent alot, where's our success?

Edited by villa89

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Doesn't always work like that I'm afraid.

It does if you do it right. We spent the money well now it's up to the manager to get us promoted. If we don't go up this season it's his fault imo. He has the resources to do it. 

34 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There are loads of easy games in this division, most of the league are shite. We should be good enough to start beating plenty of teams home and away starting with Ipswich. If we don't then the manager will be under huge pressure and rightly so.

Money buys success. We've spent alot, where's our success?

We have spent a lot of money but we have a complete new team and we are only 7 games into a complete rebuild it will take time unfortunately but we will get there 

Time to go 5 at the back and play with some width:

.....................Gollini............................

..........Baker....Elphick....Chester........

...De Laet................................Amavi..

.................Jedinak..............................

............................Tish.........................

...Ayew...............................Greaslish...

........................Kodjia..........................

If it's not attacking enough bring McCormack on for Tish

Need that left hand side creating, mixing it up with going down the right with Ayew and centrally with diagonal balls through to Kodj

Edited by VERB27
  • Like 1

We need three in the middle. The current formation isn't working. We have to rely on our attackers to get us the win whereas having a protected defence and a tight back line would be able to see us over the finish line in games when we're ahead.

Just don't ever expect us to win. We have a weak mentality at the moment with conceding late so often and throwing points (and games) away. Add to that the fact we haven't won way in nearly 14 months means we're desperate to get this monkey off our back. Need to win away at some point. Hope we do it tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, KHV said:

Ayew is one of our hardest working players defensively. Always tracking back and winning the ball deep in our half.

16 hours ago, KHV said:

Two full backs that can't defend with Ayew and Grealish infront of them who also don't defend.

Not having that.  I've seen Ayew track back and defend like no other player .  He is one of the hardest working players we have

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VERB27 said:

Time to go 5 at the back and play with some width:

.....................Gollini............................

..........Baker....Elphick....Chester........

...De Laet................................Amavi..

.................Jedinak..............................

............................Tish.........................

...Ayew...............................Greaslish...

........................Kodjia..........................

If it's not attacking enough bring McCormack on for Tish

Need that left hand side creating, mixing it up with going down the right with Ayew and centrally with diagonal balls through to Kodj

Thats what I'd go with, but Bacuna in for De Laet if his injured (which I think is looking likely). The pressure might be off away from home a bit and hopefully the team will benefit a bit. By Christ we could do with a win, but I don't think it will come here. Mick's teams are well set up & they had a good result against Derby.