Life Insurance

Guest av1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Thanks for the advice mate. I did look into that but my partner earns very little, and she smokes. So i think a joint policy has more pros than cons. I got a couple of joint quotes yesterday and they were silly. 

As an example:

I could ensure myself for 150k for £21pm. 

A joint policy at £27pm came back 31k. 

They don't like smokers. 

Wouldn't it be logical to insure the person the insurance company thinks is the most likely to die early?

On 9/15/2016 at 23:41, av1 said:

Thanks for the advice mate. I did look into that but my partner earns very little, and she smokes. So i think a joint policy has more pros than cons. I got a couple of joint quotes yesterday and they were silly. 

As an example:

I could ensure myself for 150k for £21pm. 

A joint policy at £27pm came back 31k. 

They don't like smokers. 

Joint policies rarely represent good value. Better off with two separate policies for very little more.

I run an insurance brokerage here in the UAE, and I can't recommend critical illness cover (CIC) highly enough. Sure it will cost you more, but that's simply down to the sad fact that we're more likely to make a claim in our working lifetime.

If you have kids, it's still definitely worth insuring a low-income partner as, in the event of a critical illness or death, it allows you the financial freedom to take time away from work to look after the kids. 

Just now, av1 said:

Thanks for the advice Stan :thumb:

My pleasure. There can be a strange mindset when it comes to insurance. People don't think twice about insuring their cars, homes or possessions, but have a completely different attitude to insuring themselves. Perhaps some of it is having to deal with the issue of one's mortality.

I've met many a person that's said to me that because they smoked, worked in stressful jobs and rarely exercised they wouldn't bother with life and critical illness cover because the insurance companies bump up the premiums - whilst completely failing to see that the reason the premiums are rated is purely due to the likelihood of them having to make a payout. You're completely right, insurance companies charge more for smokers because they're statistically more likely to need the policy.

Good luck in the hunt. Whilst shopping around is a good thing, don't continue shopping at the expense of actually getting a policy under your belt. Feel free to fire any questions across and I'll do my best to give you more info if I can. Cheers.

• 4 years later...

Bringing a thread back from the dead.

Close to buying my first house and trying to arrange some cover (life insurance, critical illness and income protection)

It's giving me a massive headache trying to get the best cover I can, but not being too expensive. Something I wish I did earlier in life as being 39 bumps up the premiums especially the critical illness side but only now at a point to buy a house its not something I considered at all.

I've done online quotes, my mortgage advisor does protection too and also spoke to another financial advisor for a quote.

In terms of the 2 advisors I've spoke to both sell the policies they have suggested very well and say there's is the best, but trying to decide which is actually best for me is frustrating.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Close to buying my first house and trying to arrange some cover (life insurance, critical illness and income protection)

It's giving me a massive headache trying to get the best cover I can, but not being too expensive. Something I wish I did earlier in life as being 39 bumps up the premiums especially the critical illness side but only now at a point to buy a house its not something I considered at all.

I've done online quotes, my mortgage advisor does protection too and also spoke to another financial advisor for a quote.

In terms of the 2 advisors I've spoke to both sell the policies they have suggested very well and say there's is the best, but trying to decide which is actually best for me is frustrating.

Who are the two providers and what's the price difference?

5 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Royal London was about £10 per month more than Zurich

Tricky. It's a better policy, but £10 better? Maybe, maybe not. 

Easy solution - go back to the one with the more expensive policy, ask him to outline the extra £10 "worth" of the RL one compared to Zurich. Once he's done that, if you think you've got £10 per month of extra value from it, then do it.

If not, then go the other way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

What is your situation? Married? Kids? 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

What is your situation? Married? Kids? 

Married with 2 kids. The quotes were for life to cover mortgage plus extra for critical illness and income protection for us both.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
Added a bit more

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Have you checked your benefits at work? I might just have been lucky, but my last few employers have had it as an option.

There is some extra bits I can get through work but would still be paying for it and not really sure what happens if I leave can I stick with policy? No immediate plans to but would like to start looking once things settle down a bit. If I have to look again say 5 years time I imagine it would be too much a month.

Glad this thread has popped up.

Im 38 and mrs 37 touch wood seem to be in good health. We rarely drink a d non smokers. Just bought a house and have been thinking about life insurance for a while.  Dont even know where to start.  Looking online so much info and its a lot of info to make sure you get the correct type for someone in my situation  who has no kids. 

Is it worth getting now or when i have kids which will probably next year we start trying

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Glad this thread has popped up.

Im 38 and mrs 37 touch wood seem to be in good health. We rarely drink a d non smokers. Just bought a house and have been thinking about life insurance for a while.  Dont even know where to start.  Looking online so much info and its a lot of info to make sure you get the correct type for someone in my situation  who has no kids. 

Is it worth getting now or when i have kids which will probably next year we start trying

Have you checked what you are entitled to from work?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What do you mean? I wouldnt think im entitled to anything as i work in public sector

Just the fat public service pension only ;)

Most companies, public or private, will have certain benefits, especially if you pay into the pension. Death in service payouts / life assurance, etc. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What do you mean? I wouldnt think im entitled to anything as i work in public sector

You'll likely have six months full sick pay, six months of half your salary and either two or three times your salary death in service.

Which is pretty substantial. Although the second part (I'm guessing) won't cover your mortgage. 

Speak to a financial advisor about it. It's nearly always commission-based, and paid by the provider. So nothing to really lose from talking to someone. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

Â