Let's check in with Olof (Swedish Football)

Midfielder

On 7/14/2017 at 05:28, sne said:

Östersund, managed by Englishman Graham Potter (a guy I'd love to see at Villa in the future) beating the  mighty Galatasaray with 2-0 in the first leg of the Europa League qualifiers.

The work Potter has done with Östersund is amazing! They were a nothing club playing in the 4th tier a few years back.

Now they are a top team in the Allsvenska (top tier) and reigning cup champs.

Would be the chock of the century if they manage to hold on in Istanbul in a week, but still really impressive.

@sne Your words are wise ones.

Ostersund, Potter and jamie Hopcutt made the BBC news today, good write up, mainly about Hopcutt but here is the link and we are linked??????: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40718383

Hopcutt scored 15 goals last season as Ostersunds were promoted to the Allsvenskan, the Swedish top flight.

He has six goals this term, and Aston Villa and Brighton are reportedly preparing bids in the region of £1.5m.

• Like 1

Unlucky Malmo, no progress past first Champions League qualifier, but... good luck tonight to the two Swedes hoping to progress past the Europa 3rd qualifying round.

aik v sporting braga

ostersunds fk v fola esch

Who the bloody hell are Fola Esch? 

Sporting Circle Fola Esch (French: Cercle sportif Fola Esch), usually abbreviated to Fola Esch or simply Fola, is a football club, based in Esch-sur-Alzette, in south-western Luxembourg. They play their home games at Stade Émile Mayrisch, in the south of the city, which they share with their sister athletics club CA Fola Esch.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_Fola_Esch

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Who the bloody hell are Fola Esch? 

This is when an underdog (Ostersunds) beating a big team (Galatasaray) pays dividends - the seeding system is amazing, so they get a random Luxembourg club next! :D 

It's Sne and couple of others who have brought Ostersunds some worthy spotlight in this thread, I'll be looking out for them. Seems this club has had a "fairy tale" going on for some seasons now, under the radar to me as an outsider, and hopefully the tale continues. 

Good luck then with the first legs Swedish boys! Braga are hardly a small team though so good luck AIK too from a DIF admirer. Let's see home victories with no away goals conceded. 

• Like 1

might be but Ostersunds are falling into the great trap of playing great against the good teams and struggling vs lesser teams. The odds before game had them as really comfortable winners

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Braga are hardly a small team though so good luck AIK too from a DIF admirer. Let's see home victories with no away goals conceded. 

Blasted away goal :( Returnleg won't be easy going on 1-1

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Blasted away goal :( Returnleg won't be easy going on 1-1

Yeah I just watched highlights on YouTube. Good run leading to penalty being awarded. Deserved a goal. 

Ostersunds faired better against their weaker opponents , 1-0 win. 

Edited by Midfielder

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

maxresdefault.jpg

We haven't had a picture of Olof for a few posts so I'm rectifying that now :wub:

I'll post a picture out of leftfield. This picture means a lot below. I'm sure everyone knows this or maybe some don't.... but this below, is a true mark of class, of a gentleman, of someone.... who gave a shit for this club and became one of us. A totally unexpected and unnecessary gesture. 

Didnt just pick up his paycheck, he really BECAME this club. Footballers these days , most could never in a lifetime be role models. Indiscretions off the pitch, on the pitch, attitude deficits and well I could go on. Mr Mellberg, never once did I ever see him involved in any scandal. Never, did his game make anything but the back pages in our time here or have I ever seen in his career. 

Anyone, if they ever threw out a list of descriptive words about the great bearded one, would always say 'loyalty'. Damned effing straight. To his employers, his team mates, his partner (now wife) and his kids. A straight living, zero bullshit professional who graced this club. I could write a better eulogy than this but oh fk yeah the picture , I got distracted by OlofLove

18947672_1853123551674292_60987567045125

Oh yeah so my point... in case some of you lads didn't know, see link

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/olof-melberg-i-had-to-say-thank-you-63540

OLOF Mellberg has revealed that his decision to lavish around £40,000 of merchandise on Villa's away supporters was driven by a huge desire to say 'thankyou'.

The Swedish international, who is currently preparing for Euro 2008, spent the money on 3,100 white Villa away shirts which were handed to every one of the fans who travelled to see Villa at West Ham.

---

so yeah lads, how many players not just for us, but anywhere do you ever see make such a gesture? To do that, as described above shows the guy and who he is, but also and evidently, Villa runs deep in this mans blood. 

We have all said in this thread he will be back one day. It'll happen. In his managerial career he may never amount to a Conte, Mourinho, Ferguson, Capello.... or maybe he will. Who knows. 

Bjt what we do know, is the man is a lion. Which suits this club down to the ground. A manager has an ethos that he instils in his players his staff and the soul of the club. And you know, with this guy... that will be an ethic of unity, giving 100%, having passion and not fearing any opponent. 

Imagine us. With those qualities. If that ever happens win, lose or draw you know you're getting value for money. 

Anyway I just thought I'd post a picture as The Authority was having an OlofLove moment. And I thought I'd add on some extra stuff. I'd better go before I get a boner. 

What I like about this thread is, Olof or Swedish football in general, I've learned a fair bit from our Swedish lads on here about their league, which has fascinated me for years, but that's a point there, it's every now and then... educational. So, I hope there's one VT'er on here who didn't know Mellberg signed off by buying all those shirts to say thanks to our fans. As then you've had a bit of education too! 

SwedeLove / OlofLove, s'all the same. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 3

He really gave it to Freddie on the training pitch that day. CRUNCH. 

I dunno to this day what Freddie did or if Mellberg just generally hated the guy but damn, of all the places to rampage! Someone filming too, it all kicks off and Hedman I think, in English (w t f) can be heard going FOR F SAKE hilarious. 

Also im sure some / most / all read I Am Zlatan, but Mellberg mentioned a couple of times favourably in there too. And I think Kim Kjalstrom and Wilhelmsson too, was that who he called Chippen I can't remember. 

Takes someone, not necessarily with a big ego as such, but more so a solid self-believing, give 100% type to actually ever be "mates" with Zlatan so fair play. 

Edit I posted this way back in this thread. Sorry. Here it is again , 23 seconds in KABOOM

Edited by Midfielder

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

fine I will post my favourite Mellberg photos :P 

Olof+Mellberg+Aston+Villa+v+Birmingham+P 

maxresdefault.jpg

Ljungberg gave it back and all, but there was definitely in the minimum a turtles head in Freddie's pants after it all kicked off. Maybe, even a full follow-through. 

The playing career of Mellberg definitely gave a few shit-your-pants scary moments for opposition players, or in this case, team mates in training. Not a man you want to piss off, but at the same time, respectful and not in your face, like say... a Diego Costa or a Vinnie Jones who all the time wants to be seen as hard and act accordingly. Operative word : "act". Mellberg didn't act, he just was a hard man. And still is no doubt. 

13 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

He really gave it to Freddie on the training pitch that day. CRUNCH. 

I dunno to this day what Freddie did or if Mellberg just generally hated the guy but damn, of all the places to rampage! Someone filming too, it all kicks off and Hedman I think, in English (w t f) can be heard going FOR F SAKE hilarious. 

Also im sure some / most / all read I Am Zlatan, but Mellberg mentioned a couple of times favourably in there too. And I think Kim Kjalstrom and Wilhelmsson too, was that who he called Chippen I can't remember. 

Takes someone, not necessarily with a big ego as such, but more so a solid self-believing, give 100% type to actually ever be "mates" with Zlatan so fair play. 

Edit I posted this way back in this thread. Sorry. Here it is again , 23 seconds in KABOOM

WTF are those half shorts/half track pants that Ljundberg is wearing? No wonder Olof took him down for looking like a tw*t.  

8538479.jpg

29 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

18947672_1853123551674292_60987567045125

Oh yeah so my point... in case some of you lads didn't know, see link

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/olof-melberg-i-had-to-say-thank-you-63540

OLOF Mellberg has revealed that his decision to lavish around £40,000 of merchandise on Villa's away supporters was driven by a huge desire to say 'thankyou'.

The Swedish international, who is currently preparing for Euro 2008, spent the money on 3,100 white Villa away shirts which were handed to every one of the fans who travelled to see Villa at West Ham.

--

Is that a pic of your own shirt? If you were there it must have been fantastic. 

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

WTF are those half shorts/half track pants that Ljundberg is wearing? No wonder Olof took him down for looking like a tw*t.  

8538479.jpg

Dude I have a pair on right now lounging about me gaff

Just now, Midfielder said:

Dude I have a pair on right now lounging about me gaff

Yeah but you wouldn't choose wear them to play football with the mighty Olof.  Only appropriate warrior kit is necessary for getting the job done. 

Olof can of course wear a silky sarong at home when relaxing but still make it look manly.

Â