Pre match thread

Dirk

Must win game. We have dropped too many points already from winning positions. We are now 6 points off 2nd spot and cannot afford to let this get much more if we harbour hopes of coming back up, which we should be given the money we spent. SHA are even 5 pts ahead of us and what have they spent. We have the players, now lets start getting the results. 

• Like 1

I think our forward line will give them trouble. I can see Harlee Dean being given the run-around something rotten by our pace. Pitting Gestede against Dean might be a shrewd move as he tries to impose himself on attackers and has it within him to lose his rag when he can't. Having said that, they're not conceding much at the moment so despite their recent departures at the back, they still seem fairly solid.

Hogan is banging them in for fun at the moment so we'll need to keep him quiet and we'll need someone to sit on MacLeod as he seems to have started really well this season (although he's due an injury as he's been fit for a fortnight now).

I don't think this is as easy a match as some seem to be thinking. If we come out with a win, I'll be happy.

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

Each game becomes more and more important as we can't seem to win. 

I'm very nervous, but we should now have a stronger team for this match (hopefully everyone uninjured and fit). 

1 win in 7 must become 2 wins in 8.  No excuses left, and i'm not sure Xia would accept anything less.

I don't like to use the word 'must-win' this early in the season... but its all about confidence. 

Win this game and we start to flow.   Lose this game and the fragile confidence we have could be shattered and not recover for weeks, by which time it will be too late.

I would make a few changes for certain

Steer

Bacuna Elphick Baker Cissokho

Gardner Jedinak

Adomah McCormack  Ayew

Gestede

freshen things up by resting De Laet, Grealish and Kodija and dropping Westwood(one day it will happen) and Chester

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We seem very confident we're going to hammer these. Hope we don't end up with egg on our face. If we play like we did against forest I think it could be 4 or 5.

to be fair, i don't think anyone is confident.  I think we are all just hoping with fingers and toes crossed.

We are more than capable of beating any team in this league, we just need to string a few wins together to build confidence and belief.  Winning needs to become a habit again - hopefully this is the game that kick-starts our season and we go on a run.  Would be nice to have a couple of convincing wins going into the Newcastle game.

I can't see where the optimism is coming from. As long as our defence continues to play like school girls, we will always be up against it when playing teams with any attacking ability. Rotherham and Derby had nothing going forward, hence clean sheets. Brentford are scoring a few and therefore I can see a score draw as our best result. If we start putting more of our chances away, we could win 4-2 or a similar scoreline but i've seen nothing to suggest we will start doing that.