Intrusive ads

StefanAVFC

Question

Firstly let me preface this by saying I understand that you 100% need ads for revenue and I know I can donate to get them removed.

But. I disable ad-block as requested and I get these ads right in the middle of the page on both mobile (safari) and PC (Chrome)

262lbmc.png

I've cleared cache and they're still there. I don't mind ads but can they not be in the middle of the topic list?

Also, on mobile (can't get a screenshot right now) I get them in the middle of posts in topics.

Edited by StefanAVFC

41 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I know this really doesn't involve Villa Talk, but the ads I get on here are so stupid. I am getting tourist adds constantly for prague. I live here, so why would I need tourist ads?

They're dictated by your browsing habits right @limpid? So if you're searching Prague a lot then you'll get ads for it.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

They're dictated by your browsing habits right @limpid? So if you're searching Prague a lot then you'll get ads for it.

Pretty much. The ads are placed by various networks and they base them on site / page content and your browsing habits. I think we get a lot of travel ads because advertisers buy the "villa" keyword.

We're also a predominantly a UK readership so hits from foreign addresses will look like people travelling to those places. At the end of the day, I don't mind as long as they are paying the bills and the ads aren't intrusive. Anyone can remove them by visiting the store :)

13 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I have occasionally watched videos on a Prague travel guide, but that's about it. I am also getting ads for Paris which I never searched or watched whatsoever. 

I don't know what you want me to say. Those ads are paying for the site you are using - I've no idea what the advertisers is getting out of it..

If you don't want to see the ads, the option to remove them is there in the store :)

Just now, limpid said:

I don't know what you want me to say. Those ads are paying for the site you are using - I've no idea what the advertisers is getting out of it..

If you don't want to see the ads, the option to remove them is there in the store :)

It was more of just an observance than a complaint. I don't mind the ads. 

• Like 1
On 12/5/2016 at 16:38, Czechlad said:

I know this really doesn't involve Villa Talk, but the ads I get on here are so stupid. I am getting tourist adds constantly for prague. I live here, so why would I need tourist ads?

The wonders of programmatic advertising. Regularly delete your cookies.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
4 minutes ago, mark359 said:

Is there a way to flag particular adverts? I don't mind ads normally and realise I can pay to remove them, but the "Men you don't need..." one with the image that is meant to look like a massive member is a bit much. Anyway that can be removed?

Adverts are tailored to your habits. You might be the only person seeing this ad. Your description wouldn't help me track it down even if I had time to do so.

To answer your question; no.

And this is off topic in this thread.

I hear the ads now even though I can't see one playing on the page. Most seem to be about panty liners!

I've muted the tab (Chrome on Mac OS) so not an issue but just seems a bit weird

Â