Intrusive ads

StefanAVFC

Question

Firstly let me preface this by saying I understand that you 100% need ads for revenue and I know I can donate to get them removed.

But. I disable ad-block as requested and I get these ads right in the middle of the page on both mobile (safari) and PC (Chrome)

262lbmc.png

I've cleared cache and they're still there. I don't mind ads but can they not be in the middle of the topic list?

Also, on mobile (can't get a screenshot right now) I get them in the middle of posts in topics.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Yes, there is now a block of ads in the middle of the list of topics. Ads are placed where the advertisers pay for them to be placed. In your opinion they might be intrusive, but they have no audio autoplay, they don't do screen takeovers or pop-unders. They just sit between the topics.

This is caused by people using adblock. The site is busier than ever and yet the number of ad impressions is back to 2012 levels. I've moved to a single ad partner so that we might actually be able to get bad adverts fixed. They don't pay as much as the several networks I used previously. Revenue is down and costs are up. What do you want me to do? 

I don't believe you'll notice them in a week, but if you do then I'm happy to re-assess at that point.

Is there any way of stopping the auto-play ads from running in Chrome?

I'm using mobile data to access the internet at home so I try and avoid video content where I can.

I've checked "Let me choose when to run plug in content", which works for some news sites, but it hasn't made any difference to the ads on here as far as I can tell. I also tried to disable Flash altogether from 'Manage individual plugins', but that hasn't worked either. 

What's up with those ads? Will someone ever click them on purpose? Mine are in a weird attempt at the Norwegian language and it's either about old woman that got rid of wrinkles or some form of "watch this video to become a millionaire in [insert your hometown]".

The ads on top and on the right side in the posts are usually related to stuff that I've been looking for lately or sites that I've visited, but the middle ones makes this site feel like it's promoting malware

Ps! I have adblock but it's disabled for Villatalk, however I get the pop up " VillaTalk is paid for by advertisers. Please disable your adblocker for this site..." every time I log on.

13 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Ps! I have adblock but it's disabled for Villatalk, however I get the pop up " VillaTalk is paid for by advertisers. Please disable your adblocker for this site..." every time I log on.

Then you've not properly disabled it :)

I've had a few comments about the ads in the middle of pages and have reported back that the ads they serve are really poor matches. I'll probably remove them. Unfortunately they are the ones that pay the most.

39 minutes ago, mwj said:

I agree the new ad locations are a bridge too far. 

I had disabled my ad-blocker to help pay for the site over the last few years but its definitely now back on for now.

There are no new ad locations. What do you mean? I've removed the new one that people didn't like.

Just gone ad-free via the store. Makes the site pleasurable to use again.

Don't know who else has seen this, but the ads frequently froze up the page on android chromd and Uber were managing to get the browser to fire up the Google Play store. Extremely bad from on their part.

Regardless of this, £2 or so a month is a no-brainer for such a great site.

Serious problem with the ads on my iPhone in the last week or so. It automatically redirects (no clicking needed) to download some dodgy looking app. Makes the site unusable.

This is probably geo-based, so it's worth mentioning that i'm in the US.

image1 (1).JPG

Just now, Enda said:

Serious problem with the ads on my iPhone in the last week or so. It automatically redirects (no clicking needed) to download some dodgy looking app. Makes the site unusable.

This is probably geo-based, so it's worth mentioning that i'm in the US.

Please can you supply the info requested at the top of the Site Issues forum?

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

I've only the one browser on my phone, but it makes no difference in "private mode" or regular. Mobile data vs wifi makes no difference.

How are you posting this?

Please try with another browser just so that we can rule that out. Whenever we've had this before it's only happened to people on mobile data. What wifi are you connecting to - just your regular home router?

Â