Fear of flying

darrenm

I won't let myself get too comfortable or complacent because I think sod's law is going to get me. The minute I start thinking 'I'm perfectly safe', something will happen.

I think it comes from being a Villa fan.

As I don't have a job that entails jetting around the world, flying to me always means that i'm travelling to somewhere I have a personal interest in seeing, somewhere i've paid a decent amount of money to get to and invariably, somewhere i'm going to enjoy visiting.

Which means I **** love flying.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2016 at 21:18, tonyh29 said:

New app called Sky Guru released today to help people with a fear of flying

the description of it from the news article made it sound a load of bollocks but you never know , it might help 

Seems to have crap reviews thus far!

I'm alright flying, don't mind it.  I think that's because I didn't get on a plane until I was 13, so it was pure joy of doing something so "fun".

Had a couple of shakey flights, an aborted landing somewhere I can't remember (got about 30ft from the ground), but generally I've been lucky.

My wife on the other hand.. Poor thing :(  She's good that it won't let her stop flying, and she's booked us a 3 night stay in Iceland for March, but she does suffer, I just try and keep calm and try and explain (bullshit) what the noises are and that it's better to open her eyes as her movement senses are heightened when she closes her eyes.

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm alright flying, don't mind it.  I think that's because I didn't get on a plane until I was 13, so it was pure joy of doing something so "fun".

Had a couple of shakey flights, an aborted landing somewhere I can't remember (got about 30ft from the ground), but generally I've been lucky.

My wife on the other hand.. Poor thing :(  She's good that it won't let her stop flying, and she's booked us a 3 night stay in Iceland for March, but she does suffer, I just try and keep calm and try and explain (bullshit) what the noises are and that it's better to open her eyes as her movement senses are heightened when she closes her eyes.

Get her to read the book I recommended earlier in the thread. Seriously.

• Like 1

Its not the fear of flying i dislike its the feeling of claustrophobia. Being stuck in a confined space for 8/10 hours makes me feel very anxious. One time when I was at Chicago O'hare airport waiting for 6 hours for a connecting flight to Salt Lake City I couldn't relax and sit down. i just paced around the airport concourse the entire time. i can relate to how Gazza and Marcus Trscothick felt when flying. However I feel great when we are landing. Such a relief. 

I used to be anxious when flying, even though I was on 50-60 flights per year.  I'd dread it for days in the build up.  Then I read the first edition of this book and it changed everything.  I'd recommend it to anyone, and often do!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J7S2WDE

Conquer Your Fear of Flying is a positive and empowering guide to help you overcome anxiety and panic attacks when travelling by plane. Based on The Fearless Flying Programme, successfully run by Consultant Psychologist Dr Maeve Byrne Crangle, and now updated with the latest information on security screening and safety procedures at airports, this well-established book examines the many types of anxiety involved with flying and sets out a workable plan to conquer these apprehensions.

I used to be scared of flying but it's gotten a lot better. Turbulence is scary but won't down a plane.The wings on a plane can basically be stretched to nearly a 90 degree angle without snapping so you're safe there. I've flown a lot for my job. Scariest was taking a small 12 seater plane in Michigan in the middle of January when it was negative something outside with crazy wind. 

I was actually in Heathrow tuesday and getting on my flight when some poor bloke fell on the escalator behind me. I heard shouting and had no idea what was going on. I got on the 2nd escalator and saw him laying face down across 3 steps with the escalator luckily shut off. I wonder what happened to him.

I also got to see a lot of Britain's Paralympic team since they came in the same day we left. 

There seems to be less incidence of 'bad experiences' on flights in the USA, considering how much more flight is a common mode of transport. Is there less windshear because Jetstreams are more uniform than say The Alps or the west of Ireland?

the talk here on turbulence is re-assuring. Most of the time when flying I have been fine, I used to hate take offs, but that spell when you're above the clouds on a nice day is just amazing. Honestly, will never stop feeling in awe looking out the window, and I'll always have a sense of " I should not be up here, 30,000 odd feet in a confined cabin". I had always had smooth flights, and whilst my ears hated the descent I'd enjoy them ( although learned from the first long haul flight I took, to drink far less than you think you should! ) - but the last one, we had the most awful turbulence and had never experienced anything like it before, it had followed a long day of delays, and I just had a deep sense of foreboding ( which was obviously misplaced in hindsight ) but I was and others around me were definitely terrified for a while. Everyone was holding hands, eyes shut trying to focus on something - it went on for the best part of 30 minutes including a big 'dip' which elicited some cries. 

You cheerful lot may laugh, but never had I felt so much relief to be on terra firma at the end of it all!

• 3 weeks later...

Is that a Bombardier CRJ900? Looks like it. Flew on one with Eurowings from East Mids to Dusseldorf and back earlier in the year. Very comfy. Think there were less than 50 on it when we flew out. Can honestly not remember feeling any different in regards to noise, movement, etc. when compared to a larger craft, apart from as I say, the comfort factor, which I think was purely down to only having 2 seats on either side of the aisle so to my mind it seemed more 'roomy'. I imagine if you were to dig out the stats the legroom/chair width would be near identical (although now I've typed that I'm very curious to find out whether it was all in my head or not).

Edited by hogso

On 10/10/2016 at 15:13, StefanAVFC said:

I'm flying on one of these next week

d-acpb-lufthansa-cityline-canadair-cl-60

Never flown on anything smaller than a 737 so it'll be interesting.

Very interesting experience. Very bumpy, felt absolutely everything that the plane was the doing. Was only an hour flight so was pretty easy really. Cabin felt more cramped, even with only around 50 on board.

Â