Fear of flying

darrenm

I used to be on those fellas all the time from Nuremberg to Frankfurt or Munich.  It was quite a luxury compared to the ERJ135 or 145 we'd get to Paris, which has a configuration of single seats on one side and double on the other.

560px-RAEerj145.jpg

I always used to prefer that to flying over the Alps to Vienna in this boneshaker.  Once I was in Business Class and was sitting at the front, facing the back like cabin crew.  I was the only one who got a meal so the whole plane watched me eat it...

A22F000DA7914F04B04C3BA8062BAECB.ashx?.p

• Like 1

Take some Diazepam or other sedative. Put lots of nice relaxing songs on your phone (that are available offline). Watch loads of Aircrash Investigation shows....this helps as it shows how much of a freak occurrence planes coming down are, and that they never due to turbulence.

Then just chill. Comfort is key. Turbulence does not bother me as I know what it is.

My worst nightmare is actually having screaming kids or a bunch of drunks on a plane, this would make me unsettled and nervous. Or worst still someone knocking the back of my seat, this would almost certainly result in an air-rage incident/decapitation. 

All that said, you still wouldn't get me on one of those shitty little planes with propellers.     

Edited by NottingVilla

On 17/10/2016 at 19:43, StefanAVFC said:

Very interesting experience. Very bumpy, felt absolutely everything that the plane was the doing. Was only an hour flight so was pretty easy really. Cabin felt more cramped, even with only around 50 on board.

I was going to be a big meanie before you took the flight and try to give you some scare stories about the smaller 'planes, but I just couldn't do it knowing you were genuinely anxious.  Yes in essence you feel far more.  You're far less cosseted so you get the 'experience' :)  Sounds like you did well though, so well done :thumb: .  You should have no fear any more! If you add props then you get a bit more feeling and potentially a lot more noise.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2016 at 18:59, NottingVilla said:

Take some Diazepam or other sedative. Put lots of nice relaxing songs on your phone (that are available offline). Watch loads of Aircrash Investigation shows....this helps as it shows how much of a freak occurrence planes coming down are, and that they never due to turbulence.

Then just chill. Comfort is key. Turbulence does not bother me as I know what it is.

My worst nightmare is actually having screaming kids or a bunch of drunks on a plane, this would make me unsettled and nervous. Or worst still someone knocking the back of my seat, this would almost certainly result in an air-rage incident/decapitation. 

All that said, you still wouldn't get me on one of those shitty little planes with propellers.     

Funny, I don't mind going in a little 172 as much as a big airliner.

Must be a trust/control thing. I can check the wings on the Cessna myself. I have to trust someone else to do it for me on an Airbus

From a film-project I was part of in Bahamas

0006.jpg

0005.jpg

Very interesting flight. IT'S VERY LOUD!....  WHAT?

I don't have fear of flying, but my friend on the right was a bit nervous. Turns out watching over the pilots back made her feel safer.

I'm more wary of the water. So it was worse for me when we caught a ride with a fisherman from one island to another. It was a small boat and the weather was.. bad. He said the storm would stay on the opposite side of the islands that we traveled along. About half way in the weather turned to scary bad. Storm, tropical rain, sudden freezing cold, fog so thick we could only see a few meters ahead, and waves that made my behind ache for days afterwards.

• 4 months later...

So, I forgot to buy that book on page 3...

Got back from Reykjavik today and it wasn't a great flight, lots of turbulence for a 30 min period where we passed through a jet stream.

Wife nearly had kittens :(  

So I've ordered the book.  Will let you know the results.

Edited by lapal_fan

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 03:47, tarjei said:

From a film-project I was part of in Bahamas

0006.jpg

0005.jpg

Very interesting flight. IT'S VERY LOUD!....  WHAT?

I don't have fear of flying, but my friend on the right was a bit nervous. Turns out watching over the pilots back made her feel safer.

I'm more wary of the water. So it was worse for me when we caught a ride with a fisherman from one island to another. It was a small boat and the weather was.. bad. He said the storm would stay on the opposite side of the islands that we traveled along. About half way in the weather turned to scary bad. Storm, tropical rain, sudden freezing cold, fog so thick we could only see a few meters ahead, and waves that made my behind ache for days afterwards.

any bikini shot of the blonde girl you could post ..just to ally my fear of flying and prove that she didn't die horribly in a plane crash  and made it to the beach  , and no other reasons

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

any bikini shot of the blonde girl you could post ..just to ally my fear of flying and prove that she didn't die horribly in a plane crash  and made it to the beach  , and no other reasons

You're too old, gross and creepy for saying that now. ;) 

Not sure if I've already posted this. It's brilliant

http://fearofflyingschool.com/air-turbulence

Tim Benjamin: It’s interesting – when people talk about turbulence, particularly nervous passengers, they often talk about their plane hitting so-called ‘air pockets’.

Is there such a thing as an ‘air pocket’?

Dr Bob Sharman: Well, I personally don’t like the term ‘air pocket’ because I’m not quite sure what it means.

It sounds like there’s this invisible vacuum out there that an airplane falls into – and who knows what’s going to happen to it.

Um – what’s REALLY happening is that once this turbulence is generated, part of the component of it is ‘up-draughts’ and ‘down-draughts’: vertical excursions of the air.

Tim Benjamin: In other words, some air moving up and some air moving down?

Dr Bob Sharman: That’s correct.

And so when an aircraft hits that, and the magnitude of those up-draughts and down-draughts are large enough, it may force the aircraft UP – or it may force the aircraft DOWN.

When it goes DOWN, I think that’s what a lot of people are referring to as ‘air pockets’.

But it’s simply the fact that the airplane hit some downward motion that it wasn’t expecting.

Tim Benjamin: So, just to be clear, when the plane is going down, it’s STILL supported by air? It’s NOT in free-fall?

Dr Bob Sharman: Oh – absolutely. There’s still lift on the wing, which I think you’ve talked about in other interviews.

And – uh – that lift of the wing is always MUCH more than the downward motion of the air that’s pushing it down.

So it’s NOT going to fall out of the sky.

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hate to disappoint but she's my BFF and would never speak to me again if I did that.

Here's a pic taken a week later tho featuring her and a barracuda. Sip up or lose it!

DSC_0474.jpg

• Like 1

The only real fright I've ever had was landing at Billy Bishop in Toronto. 

I'd never been to Toronto before, and while I knew academically that it was on Lake Ontario I had never actually thought about that actively, and I wasn't thinking about that when, as I woke up and peered into the darkness of a Canadian night through the porthole, I noticed that we were about 5 metres above the water! Shock lasted all of about 10 seconds until we hit the runway. 

I don't love flying, and I hate airports (I always aim to arrive no earlier than an hour before departure) but I'm not scared. I've flown with Lao Airlines before, who have a significantly less than stellar record of transporting their own government ministers safely about the country, so I'm prepared for most normal eventualities now. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â