Villa Park History

1974Centenary

Man those pictures bring a tear to my eye. 

Another thing I have recently remembered is the skill of guessing how long it would take you to get into the ground from the length of the queue,  all those people paying cash on the door.  Sometimes it would stretch half way down the side of the ground or beyond to get into The Holte. 

My Wolves mate reminded me the other day of how everyone would do the laurel and hardy tune when the police came out towards the end of the game. I had totally forgotten about that. 

33 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Oh the days- night games on the 11c outer circle- when these came into view my heart lifted straight away.

thanks for the memory

Agreed. Night games always feel a bit more special anyway but there was something enormously atmospheric about those floodlights and I don't think it's just lost youth or nostalgia talking. 

People who bang on about what an amazing stadium eg The Emirates is just don't get the spirit of the game for me. I would much rather visit Goodison or Ibrox than go to another modern bowl that's a bit more "special"  than most modern bowls. 

Loved going to Swindon away in the cup a couple of years ago,  what a dump but definitely a football ground.  Not a Stadium. 

• Like 4

On 9/4/2016 at 17:15, rjw63 said:

criminal that the 5-1 against Redscousescum wasn't captured on film

One of our Historys great disappointments.....was there that night and the missus won a portable Tele on the raffle at The Aston Social, while I was at the match.

I will never forget Emlyn Hughes shrugging his shoulders (as the 4th went in) at Kevin Keegan..... we didn't just win, we literally blew them away in that first half. It was the most devastating half of football I have ever witnessed from us.

That '77 team was the most exciting VT I have ever seen.

If we had of had Rimmer instead of Budgie I think we would have won it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 21:58, Dave J said:

Oh the days- night games on the 11c outer circle- when these came into view my heart lifted straight away.

thanks for the memory

...Stop it:)

On 05/09/2016 at 22:14, sidcow said:

Agreed. Night games always feel a bit more special anyway but there was something enormously atmospheric about those floodlights and I don't think it's just lost youth or nostalgia talking. 

People who bang on about what an amazing stadium eg The Emirates is just don't get the spirit of the game for me. I would much rather visit Goodison or Ibrox than go to another modern bowl that's a bit more "special"  than most modern bowls. 

Loved going to Swindon away in the cup a couple of years ago,  what a dump but definitely a football ground.  Not a Stadium. 

That's the key for me.

Grounds > Stadiums

• Like 1

Â