Mark Halsey and Refereeing

StanBalaban

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Friend is an arsehole. That QPR where we won 3-2 was clearly bent.

Yep and did he do Chelsea away a few months later in which he denied us about 3 penalties.

That said I struggle to picture todays refs bar the high profile ones like Clatternburg and Mike Dean. The rest just merge into one...what's the difference between a Kevin Friend and Keith Stroud...

Whereas I can still name all the 90s ones no problem...Rennie, Poll, Graham Barber, Dermot Gallagher, Durkin, Ellerey etc.

Although you can't seem him here, anyone remember this Shearer red card.....?

aug-1999-referee-uriah-rennie-sends-off-

This ref told a few mates of mine he was going to send him off the Thursday before the game. They thought he was just talking big.

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Out of interest, can anyone readily list favourable decisions that we've had from referees?

we got a few when Young was in the team but that is a half decade or so. havent really got much recently

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Although you can't seem him here, anyone remember this Shearer red card.....?

aug-1999-referee-uriah-rennie-sends-off-

This ref told a few mates of mine he was going to send him off the Thursday before the game. They thought he was just talking big.

Ha, I remember that, Shearer's 100th match for Newcastle and his first ever sending off wasn't it? Was that the one he threatened to resign as England captain if it wasn't overturned?

Every Villa fan thought one of ours was sent off, I can't remember who it was though.

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ha, I remember that, Shearer's 100th match for Newcastle and his first ever sending off wasn't it? Was that the one he threatened to resign as England captain if it wasn't overturned?

Every Villa fan thought one of ours was sent off, I can't remember who it was though.

was when he kicked Neil Lennon in the face that he threatened to resign as England captain

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Out of interest, can anyone readily list favourable decisions that we've had from referees?

Literally the only big one that comes to mind was back in 2010 when we scored a late equaliser against Palace in the FA Cup from a corner which we shouldn't have had.

Ironically, the ref that day was Kevin Friend.

6 hours ago, One For The Road said:

No. He definitely didn't. He has had some right shockers for us. Anthony Taylor on the other hand.....

Refs always wind me up so I always keep a close eye on them. Halsey was pretty bad but not the worst, Friend had some really dodgy matches for us where it seemed there was something dodgy going on. But I never saw Clattenburg give a dodgy decision against us. In fact I remember always thinking that he seemed to have a soft spot for us. One free kick he pushed an opposition player out of the way so we could take it quickly and we scored.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 20:30, gharperr said:
9 hours ago, Mantis said:

Literally the only big one that comes to mind was back in 2010 when we scored a late equaliser against Palace in the FA Cup from a corner which we shouldn't have had.

so 5 decisions against in 10+ years means doesnt like villa. hmmm

always find it bizarre whenever people moan about refs not liking a team. with most referees theres usually comments in match threads saying "i hate <insert ref>, he hates us". and its said by every teams fans.

West Ham on Boxing Day was never a penalty....and West Ham should've got a penalty near the end when Westwood handled in the box from a free kick.

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

It's interesting, isn't it.  We always remember any tiny thing that goes against us, but pretty much gloss over anything that goes in our favour.  I really can't think of much in the latter category either.

I remember El Ahmadi being well offside when scoring against Man City at home (think we ended up winning 3-2?).  The Arsenal 3-1 victory at the start of the season was a bit of a farce too - both some Arsenal player being sent off and us winning a penalty when Koscielny had cleanly tackled Agbonlahor.  Can't think of much else!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The Arsenal 3-1 victory at the start of the season was a bit of a farce too - both some Arsenal player being sent off and us winning a penalty when Koscielny had cleanly tackled Agbonlahor.  Can't think of much else!

That game was fine. Koscielny didn't 'cleanly' tackle him. He wiped out Gabby first then got the ball.

Screengrab if you can't watch

33vzvc1.png

As for the red, was harsh, but no harsher than some of the shit we've had. Koscielny went in with the intent. It was clumsy; didn't make much contact but probably was a yellow card by itself.

14 seconds in. Hits Gabby's back leg first then gets the ball. They talked about it on MOTD too (I was there)

Edited by StefanAVFC

31 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That game was fine. Koscielny didn't 'cleanly' tackle him. He wiped out Gabby first then got the ball.

Screengrab if you can't watch

As for the red, was harsh, but no harsher than some of the shit we've had. Koscielny went in with the intent. It was clumsy; didn't make much contact but probably was a yellow card by itself.

14 seconds in. Hits Gabby's back leg first then gets the ball. They talked about it on MOTD too (I was there)

We'll agree to disagree here - I think a slight amount of contact is pretty much guaranteed when you're tackling someone.  He didn't "wipe Gabby out" and then get the ball; it's about 0.01 of a second between the two contacts.  Personally, I'd be fuming if that was given against us.

Plus a yellow card for it too :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

We'll agree to disagree here - I think a slight amount of contact is pretty much guaranteed when you're tackling someone.  

Of course it is. The problem is when the contact comes first. I was always taught if you take the player before the ball, it's a foul 100% of the time.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2016 at 19:02, Davkaus said:

Honestly, the rules need to change.

Refs are only human. If a ref sees something but drops a clanger, it's absolutely absurd that they can't say after the fact that they made a mistake and have the correct action taken retrospectively.

Yep, this is the only saving grace here for the PGMOL.  In order to come to the right decision on a foul, they had to side-step their own silly rule in order to retrospectively dish out a punishment.  Rather than have a situation where a ref can say he saw it but didn't see it properly.  It's not even a clanger.  There are degrees of seeing something.  You can think you saw an incident fully, when in reality you missed most of it.  You won't know that until afterwards.

This is not the egregious cheating conspiracy that it's being painted out as IMO.  But it would certainly make everyone's life a whole lot easier, and it would reduce fan blood presure, if the retrospective punishment rule was changed to allow referees/FA/PGMOL to re-assess a situation that was; through no fault of the ref; only partially seen at the time.

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We'll agree to disagree here - I think a slight amount of contact is pretty much guaranteed when you're tackling someone.  He didn't "wipe Gabby out" and then get the ball; it's about 0.01 of a second between the two contacts.  Personally, I'd be fuming if that was given against us.

Plus a yellow card for it too :D

I would be asking what the **** my defender was doing tbfh

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Of course it is. The problem is when the contact comes first. I was always taught if you take the player before the ball, it's a foul 100% of the time.

This seems to be something that gets repeated a lot, but there's no mention of it at all in the laws of the game, nor in guidance to referees. Certainly not the pundit's favourite defence which is the inverse of this, either - "it wasn't a foul, he got the ball first".

Â