Mark Halsey and Refereeing

StanBalaban

Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey has made the stunning claim that he was told by his superiors to say he had not seen controversial incidents in matches.

Halsey suggested during a Twitter conversation on Friday that Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) - the governing body for elite referees in England - instructed him to claim he hadn't seen flashpoints when he clearly had.

It follows the debate over Sergio Aguero's elbow on Winston Reid during Manchester City's win over West Ham last weekend, which has led to the Argentine being handed a three-match suspension.

City had appealed the ban because they refused to believe referee Andre Marriner's assertion that he had not seen the incident, which occurred in the 76th minute of City's 3-1 home win.

A review of video footage suggested Marriner had an unobstructed view of Aguero's tussle with Reid and could have made a call.

City claim that Marriner saw the incident and did not deem it a bookable offence and so no further action should have been taken afterwards.

Instead, Aguero was charged with violent conduct following a retrospective review of the incident and received a ban that will keep him out of the Manchester derby with United on September 10.

But Halsey's comments have deepened the controversy and appear to indicate that top level officials have long been told by PGMOL to claim they didn't see moments of controversy.

Replying to another user, he tweeted: 'I have been in that situation when I have seen an incident and been told to say I haven't seen it.'

In a later reply, he said: 'To be fair to the FA... it's not them. It comes from within the PGMOL.'

37DC04E200000578-3772116-In_a_response_o

37DC04E600000578-3772116-The_ex_Premier_

The comments were seized upon by the former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville, who tweeted: 'Mark, I'd like to know who told you to say that!

'@FA and @Premierleague think you have a major issue on your hands.'

PGMOL was founded in 2001 with the aim of improving refereeing standards and receives funding from the Premier League, English Football League and the Football Association.

They are responsible for the 18 full-time professional Select Group referees that take charge of Premier League fixtures.

Sportsmail has contacted PGMOL and Mark Halsey for a comment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3772116/Mark-Halsey-claims-Premier-League-referees-governing-body-told-claim-hadn-t-seen-controversial-incidents-matches.html#ixzz4JBvRPpRF 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just makes me think of that Vidic tackle, and the lack of a red card, in the cup final on Gabby. :rant:

1 hour ago, ChrisVillan said:

I never trusted that shitehawk to get anything right either. 

Indeed Halsey decisions v us.....

SHA 2003 Derby...gets a lot of stick for this but in fairness it was a ridiculous hostile night which was always going to boil over on the pitch, both our reds were correct. Just missed Dugarry spitting.

Arsenal 2004,,,,that quick Henry free kick. Ridiculous especially as he was amongst the Arsenal players when he suddenly decided to let them take it quickly.

Man. United 2012- Young conning him.

Southampton 2013- Rodriguez diving in air and getting penalty. It amuses me as he admitted these errors in his book and just said matter of factly Villa were the opposition on consecutive pages.

Anything else I've missed out on. Not a decision but I remember that Carling cup game in 2006 at Chelsea where we took 6k and some idiot threw a bottle on the pitch....he made a big song and dance about taking it right infront of the Villa fans.

Bloke didn't like us for whatever reason.

• Like 1

First I've heard of that...I always remember Dion saying to the camera as he walked off that Savage was a "cheat" but it all got swept under the carpet soon after.

Regardless Dion was on a yellow so he was getting sent off for the lunge and then he headbutted Savage for good measure!

What a mental night that was, never seen Villa Park in such a rage.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Indeed Halsey decisions v us.....

SHA 2003 Derby...gets a lot of stick for this but in fairness it was a ridiculous hostile night which was always going to boil over on the pitch, both our reds were correct. Just missed Dugarry spitting.

Arsenal 2004,,,,that quick Henry free kick. Ridiculous especially as he was amongst the Arsenal players when he suddenly decided to let them take it quickly.

Man. United 2012- Young conning him.

Southampton 2013- Rodriguez diving in air and getting penalty. It amuses me as he admitted these errors in his book and just said matter of factly Villa were the opposition on consecutive pages.

Anything else I've missed out on. Not a decision but I remember that Carling cup game in 2006 at Chelsea where we took 6k and some idiot threw a bottle on the pitch....he made a big song and dance about taking it right infront of the Villa fans.

Bloke didn't like us for whatever reason.

Stoke away. The game where we lost 3-2 to a last minute goal.I seem to remember he turned down a blatant Villa penalty and then went up the other end and gave Stoke a dodgy one. Think that was their 1st ever Premier League game.

I despise Halsey.

so 5 decisions against in 10+ years means doesnt like villa. hmmm

always find it bizarre whenever people moan about refs not liking a team. with most referees theres usually comments in match threads saying "i hate <insert ref>, he hates us". and its said by every teams fans.

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gharperr said:

so 5 decisions against in 10+ years means doesnt like villa. hmmm

always find it bizarre whenever people moan about refs not liking a team. with most referees theres usually comments in match threads saying "i hate <insert ref>, he hates us". and its said by every teams fans.

Halsey was a terrible ref. Absolutely loved the big clubs and I can't think of many other refs (other than Dowd) who ******* us over as often as that ****.

• Like 1

No one will come close to dowd

that cup final decision + the baggies sending off

i dint know what the outright worst decision I've ever seen vs us but to hide 2 come close, probably the ref who didn't know that seeing as enkleman didn't touch the ball it should have been a corner :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Out of interest, can anyone readily list favourable decisions that we've had from referees?

Not really...

i can remember arsenal fans moaning like **** when we had a penalty vs them because the ref played advantage, wiemann fluffed it, the ref called it back for the foul

rudys goal vs Leicester last year had a bit of handball about it

and this whole thing, it's on the brink of going to where it should be, refs being allowed to say they saw it but not well enough to make a decision so let's have a panel with a better view make a retrospective decision on the refs behalf, everyone with a bit of brain fully understanding that thought process...it will actually go to a bloke watching a tv screen having 30 seconds to take a slightly better guess at it...once that bloke has the wrong decision also then there's no going back, case in point I always use - Suarez dive vs us, video ref gives that, doesnt make it right

Â