Dean Saunders on Brian Clough

wazzap24

Also, nobody really mentioned the alcohol part. Nobody seems upset by it, his family haven't spoken out.

Cloughy was an interesting character. A legend to just about everyone who has even a passing interest in football. Even the bloke he thumped! Hill has got his knickers twisted over nothing here. 

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Also, nobody really mentioned the alcohol part. Nobody seems upset by it, his family haven't spoken out.

Cloughy was an interesting character. A legend to just about everyone who has even a passing interest in football. Even the bloke he thumped! Hill has got his knickers twisted over nothing here. 

Eh? A journalist asked him "was this story that you feature in true" and he said "not really, no".

I'm pretty sure his underwear is in a perfectly normal state.

He might very well have been a good player for us, but Saunders just seems like an idiot to me.

I hadn't heard this until today and was hoping for a laugh but it's all just a bit weird, and it being almost certainly embellished (to say the least) makes it all the more uncomfortable.

30 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Eh? A journalist asked him "was this story that you feature in true" and he said "not really, no".

I'm pretty sure his underwear is in a perfectly normal state.

He said quite a bit. Somebody mentioned the family too, maybe that wasn't him. Can't be arsed to read it again. 

Not really sure what part of my post you disagree with? Thread went from Saunders and Clough are legends, what a great story, to slating Deano in the blink of an eye. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

55 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

He might very well have been a good player for us, but Saunders just seems like an idiot to me.

I hadn't heard this until today and was hoping for a laugh but it's all just a bit weird, and it being almost certainly embellished (to say the least) makes it all the more uncomfortable.

he was my favourite player as a kid and 1st player I ever had name on back of jersey. but for some reason he has soured on me in recent years, I dont know if because he was anti-villa punditry a few times or the fact he is a crapper manager than Tony Adams

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He said quite a bit. Somebody mentioned the family too, maybe that wasn't him. Can't be arsed to read it again. 

Not really sure what part of my post you disagree with? Thread went from Saunders and Clough are legends, what a great story, to slating Deano in the blink of an eye. 

If we start with "all of it" and work from there.

If we put aside the dispute of whether it's true and assume that it is (although there's only one person gaining from embellishing the story and it isn't Alan Hill, who has probably given this episode little thought in the last 25 years).

You've basically got somebody laughing at somebody else's illness that will go on to effectively kill them. 

Out of curiosity, if it were one of our former players turning up on Halfwit AM with a story along the lines of "huh huh huh, Paul McGrath, turning up for training smashed off his face every day, what a ledge..."  would that be a great story or a sorry indictment of somebody's pretty terrible attitude (even if they'd been a good player for us in the past) towards alcoholism?

Call me a po-faced stick-in-the-mud if you like, but I'm not sure if I'd think less of Saunders had he made the whole thing up, or whether the whole thing was actually true and he thinks that alcoholism is a big funny joke.

17 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Out of curiosity, if it were one of our former players turning up on Halfwit AM with a story along the lines of "huh huh huh, Paul McGrath, turning up for training smashed off his face every day, what a ledge..."  would that be a great story or a sorry indictment of somebody's pretty terrible attitude (even if they'd been a good player for us in the past) towards alcoholism?

how does the cringe worthy villa song about "on the piss my Lord "  fit into this scenario ?

17 hours ago, ml1dch said:

If we start with "all of it" and work from there.

If we put aside the dispute of whether it's true and assume that it is (although there's only one person gaining from embellishing the story and it isn't Alan Hill, who has probably given this episode little thought in the last 25 years).

You've basically got somebody laughing at somebody else's illness that will go on to effectively kill them. 

Call me a po-faced stick-in-the-mud if you like, but I'm not sure if I'd think less of Saunders had he made the whole thing up, or whether the whole thing was actually true and he thinks that alcoholism is a big funny joke.

There is definitely a divide on whether this type of behaviour is funny.

I was watching Paul Merson's Fantasy Football the other week and it had Jason Mcateer best 11...He naturally picked McGrath and was discussing what he was like on away trips and Merson quipped along the lines of "Probably never saw him, he was probably in the bar." to mild laughter.

I thought it was poor form to be honest. Maybe it is a generalisation thing. Talksport does my head in on it aswell to be honest. Half the presenters must be functioning alcoholics but it's all just a laugh.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

how does the cringe worthy villa song about "on the piss my Lord "  fit into this scenario ?

Lot of bellends in the Holte, tbh.

I wonder how long it'll take after Gazza passes for it to be acceptable to tell 'funny' stories about him not handling his drink.

6 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Well this buzz has been well and truly killed. Everything is offensive to somebody, somewhere these days. 

Still funny IMO. 

I wouldn't worry. There will probably be a homeless man that you can throw some stones at somewhere. Or a blind person's stick that you can kick away to get that buzz back. 

Â