Football Manager 2017

V01

I just finished my first season with Villa and lost in the playoff final.

I was then told we'd failed financial thingamajig, I'm under a 12 months transfer embargo and I've got to reduce my wage bill from £850k to £600k.

I never usually pay much attention to the club finances other than the transfer and wage budget and I stayed well within budget so I feel a bit aggrieved. Not sure I can be bothered to carry on or start a new save. Bah!

That doesn't seem right @Paddywhack. Well, it does make sense, but I think the board should be allowed to invest up to a certain amount to avoid the issue. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.. it is quite confusing.

When did that message appear?

The board "invested"  £24m on my save in December the first season.. but I did lower the wage cost of around £150k by selling/loaning out players in the 1st transfer window. Maybe spending the budget is a bad thing in this case?

Edited by tarjei

3 hours ago, tarjei said:

That doesn't seem right @Paddywhack. Well, it does make sense, but I think the board should be allowed to invest up to a certain amount to avoid the issue. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.. it is quite confusing.

When did that message appear?

The board "invested"  £24m on my save in December the first season.. but I did lower the wage cost of around £150k by selling/loaning out players in the 1st transfer window. Maybe spending the budget is a bad thing in this case?

Yeah, I can't pretend to even start understanding it. I'm sure Dr Tony did inject money prior to the January transfer window.

I got the message a few days after losing in the final, I might screenshot and post it later if I get the chance.

What's also strange is that because my aim for the season was to get in the playoffs and I achieved that, I was offered a new contract a couple days before the final. Doesn't seem very realistic. I was promised a rather large transfer kitty which is now no-existent, so I might sue..

• Like 1

Not suffering as many injuries now. But I have had 6 players miss games for 5 yellows, I have had 61 yellow cards in 20 games (and a few fines for it), and 5 reds.

Just had my 5th red of the season for a yellow then a red, which is what it seems to be mostly. Oh and before somebody says I need to stop my players going hard on tackles and blaming my tactics, they aren't!

Edited by DK82

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

....so I might sue..

I kinda thought it sounded like a great challenge... getting screwed over, I know, but it's still possible, especially if you can get rid of a couple of useless high earners.

Wow, @DK82, you seem to get the worst treatment from this game this year. I can only recall having 2 red cards in 2 seasons.

Are they just average player in normal non-aggressive roles? I've seen a few complaints and one bug post on the subject. But for every one with the issues, there's a bunch that haven't noticed anything.

I'm in Feb of season 1 with Millwall, and I have had the same tactics since day 1, so havent introduced anything that has worsened the discipline. Also, my tactic has "get stuck iN" turned off. I am getting a lot of yellows in the match and about every 4/5 matches a red, often more. Yet the opposition dont seem to suffer the same issue. 

A minor gripe. But my squad is thread bare but have brought in some Jnuary loans, havent paid a penny for anyone, no fees. Leading the division being chased by swindon. Absolutely loving it though. Got it last Friday, so five days in 2/3 through season one. No one wants to come to poxy Millwall but they will next year. I will be absolutely raiding Sweden, Norway, Denmark for some circa 100-200k gems. I have sold 2m worth of players somehow, board had better roll it on to next season/

19 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Wow, @DK82, you seem to get the worst treatment from this game this year. I can only recall having 2 red cards in 2 seasons.

Are they just average player in normal non-aggressive roles? I've seen a few complaints and one bug post on the subject. But for every one with the issues, there's a bunch that haven't noticed anything.

I've taken all players off aggressive roles, not got them closing down - and still they get sent off. 

Just had another in the next match:

bdozle.png

I'd make a bug report. It might be a league specific issue, or certain things are unbalanced (like aggression/bravery or hidden traits like dirtiness, sportsmanship, etc). Just save every match with a red card or too many yellows and attach them in the post.

6 minutes ago, tarjei said:

I'd make a bug report. It might be a league specific issue, or certain things are unbalanced (like aggression/bravery or hidden traits like dirtiness, sportsmanship, etc). Just save every match with a red card or too many yellows and attach them in the post.

I've downloaded and tested a few different tactics and it still seems to be the same, so I will make a bug report. It only started post patch (and more so when I got promoted, as I played about 12 games at the end of league one with the same tactic and had zero issues). Bizarre! 

Just to announce that I am also playing the game... My supported teams are Villa, Luton, Hearts and Ayr. Too scared to lose heart by picking Villa, so went to Luton instead - League 2. Transfer budget of about 70k. Board expect a play off place.

Signed Calvin Zola on a free to be a target man - seems okay. Signed a striker from Palace for 60k called Mohammed. Board not happy that I spent so much on one player, but her scored on his debut. Young player, not the best stats but room to grow. I probably wouldn't spend 60k on him in the next save I play.

Won away at Plymouth in first game...

Lost away to Cov in the EFL Cup (just - a very late goal for them and it was an even game).

Then lost at home to Yeovil.

I'm playing 3-5-2 with a target man. The midfield 5 is skewed slightly to be a 4, with a winger on the left playing advanced, between midfield and forwards. I'm trying to use my best players in their best positions and roles. That might not be the best tactic.

Not played a game like this since CM2. Any helpful tips welcome. There is so much to this game that I haven't really got a clue what to do.

Â