Football Manager 2017

V01

23 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Jesus mate, when you install, what will unfold before your eyes will be like a UFO landing in your living room I mean, the tech advance. I'm not saying that as a negative, as a positive. If you have time to waste / play a game, has to be FM. I'm into my PS4 too but always get hooked on FM too.

That aside, you aren't just tempted, you're going to go away and google it, see about it. Then you're going to come to a conscious decision, get it or not. We've made that decision for you, because we are good and considerate like that. That is, that yes, you're to get it. You can do this via Steam (digital download) or you can head to a 24 hour Tesco and buy it right now, or Game / Argos anywhere for the disk version. Sorted. If you do, let us know, as there are some "day 1" things I would advise to a newcomer such as where to find "turn attribute masking off" which I would recommend for you, and related stuff.

Seriously though mate, 30-34 squids, and you'll love it.

Cheers chief

I deliberately haven't purchased this in a number of years (or any games for that matter) as I'm already far too unproductive in my spare time, watching TV/films and generally pissing about in the little time I have away from my energy sapping, morale crushing 'career'. I always thought I should galvanise myself to be more productive in my spare time... perhaps do volunteer work, or maybe get round to writing the commercially successful novel I deludingly think I have in me. But no, I generally sit in my underpants browsing this forum while supping far too many cups of tea.

Even looking at some of the screenshots on here has me looking like this:

giphy.gif

That being said, I may give it ago. See if I can recreate leading Peterborough to domestic glory like I did in CM2, with Neil Lennon (a canny purchase from Crewe Alexandra) being my 'Captain Marvel' and star payer for a decade or so. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Cheers chief

I deliberately haven't purchased this in a number of years (or any games for that matter) as I'm already far too unproductive in my spare time, watching TV/films and generally pissing about in the little time I have away from my energy sapping, morale crushing 'career'. I always thought I should galvanise myself to be more productive in my spare time... perhaps do volunteer work, or maybe get round to writing the commercially successful novel I deludingly think I have in me. But no, I generally sit in my underpants browsing this forum while supping far too many cups of tea.

Even looking at some of the screenshots on here has me looking like this:

giphy.gif

That being said, I may give it ago. See if I can recreate leading Peterborough to domestic glory like I did in CM2, with Neil Lennon (a canny purchase from Crewe Alexandra) being my 'Captain Marvel' and star payer for a decade or so. 

I totally understand that. I used to play FM with a mate at uni and he stopped getting it about 8 years ago. Since then, it has actually evolved massively to being an incredibly immersive, addictive, time-taking experience. It will be daunting at first as there is without doubt a lot to learn, just in navigating the screens, the drop down boxes, the sheer "science" within the game. At the end of the day I guess it still is in some way a very sophisticated sort of spreadsheet if I was to put it that way. You'd get the hang of it. If I go to chill at this mates, I'd take my laptop and he'd be boggled by it, totally put off at how advanced it has become. There is a reduced version, FM Touch too. But, that's like foreplay. You get some, but well, you know.

As for the time sapping. Odd you say that mate, as I am a procrastinating writer too. So in spare time, its A or B. And if FM is A, youre not doing B and yes, no end result, however, fun to play, entirely entertaining and rewarding. Regulation is the key! But only after the addictive novelty period wears off :ph34r:

I'll get to writing too. This weekend has come, I have a cold, I'm sat as close to the radiator as I can be feeling like sh-- and loving the new instalment which is much the same but with some nice tweaks here and there. Everyone on here will help, no question is too dumb! As for The Posh , I used to do them when Big Ron Manager was on the telly about 10 years ago. From that program, even though it effectively made them look tacky for participating, I did enjoy it, and the Ron factor. From that, I developed a little soft spot for them as rarely does any club allow access like that, warts and all, there were many warts in that program. I did saves around the time to "help them out".

If you did get it, after your time on the sidelines, a Peterborough one wouldn't be a bad start. Loans, frees, you can always "liquidise your assets" and sell a handful of turds , raise about 300-500k maybe and get cracking, increase the wage budget to afford wages of more frees, and have some change to make some actual signings.

There are many fan sites and guides online, including the Si Games site. ironically I never check any of them, but did earlier when it was installing. You could even get tactics off the net, direct to download and inject into the game. Lots of resources to ease you in. Learning the game after a time out, is a learning curve I wont deny. But when you quickly catch up, youll love every minute.

FM aside, I totally get it about productivity and gaming. As I do too much of the latter and not enough of the former. I've let fitness slip a lot in the last month, two months, and have personal objectives that are being neglected. However, ill get past the FM bug and catch up. There are worse things you're going to spend 30 notes on in the next few months for sure.

I don't know how much sick time you've had from work this year, but youre due some. D&V alone is 48 hours, and there's the piano you had to help your mate move that he bought off Gumtree, you know your back twinge? It is the absolute right of any FM player to develop some FM sickness, minimum four days per year. Minimum. Those days, are Spotify and FM days.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

• Like 1

Went to mates house, had some food and a few home brew beers. It's been 4 hours since I crossed the threshold of my doorstep but it feels like I've been gone for a couple of days. It's like two parallel worlds and one is moving much faster than the other!

1 hour ago, ermie123 said:

Read the reviews on Steam before buying!  I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

I read that the reviews are to do with Chinese language support. It was promised a few years ago resulting in terrible reviews this year, when it was suggested it might support a few more languages and it doesnt. 

Anybody finding that with the new patch, there are: a lot of red and yellow cards, & when the opposition get a red they suddenly become unplayable?

Three times I have faced a team with who get a red (winning 2-0, 3-1 and 3-0) and after the reds the matches ended 2-2, 3-3 and 3-2. 

Baker and Elphick was clear 1st choice in defence. Chester is ok as backup.

McCormack has kinda surprised me... doesn't look that good, but he gets goals. Has scored about 1 in 2 in both the championship and premier league. Ayew got almost 40 goals 1st season, but has been much less effective in the PL.. possibly because I've changed to playing with just 1 upfront.

My signings so far that I'd recommend.
John McGinn and Matty James in midfield. Both cheap and does a great job until you can attract better players.
Alex Gersbach as backup for Amavi if you sell Cissokho. £500k. Talented and more than good enough
Diogo Dalot (RB) on loan in the 2nd season. He's been great
Charlie Taylor (LB) on a free as backup for Amavi
Fredrik Sørensen was quite cheap in the 2nd season. £3.5m. He has been my best defender this season.
Caglar Soyuncu from Freiburg was more expensive, but very talented CB with no weaknesses.
Ivan Cavalerio from Wolves. Great winger that should be easy to sign if Wolves doesn't get promoted.
I managed to sign a transfer listed Marco Asensio from Real Madrid. Pure quality!
Almost signed Colidio from Boca but I dropped the ball and he singed with Sporting on deadline day... he looks immense.

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Baker and Elphick was clear 1st choice in defence. Chester is ok as backup.

McCormack has kinda surprised me... doesn't look that good, but he gets goals. Has scored about 1 in 2 in both the championship and premier league. Ayew got almost 40 goals 1st season, but has been much less effective in the PL.. possibly because I've changed to playing with just 1 upfront.

My signings so far that I'd recommend.
John McGinn and Matty James in midfield. Both cheap and does a great job until you can attract better players.
Alex Gersbach as backup for Amavi if you sell Cissokho. £500k. Talented and more than good enough
Diogo Dalot (RB) on loan in the 2nd season. He's been great
Charlie Taylor (LB) on a free as backup for Amavi
Fredrik Sørensen was quite cheap in the 2nd season. £3.5m. He has been my best defender this season.
Caglar Soyuncu from Freiburg was more expensive, but very talented CB with no weaknesses.
Ivan Cavalerio from Wolves. Great winger that should be easy to sign if Wolves doesn't get promoted.
I managed to sign a transfer listed Marco Asensio from Real Madrid. Pure quality!
Almost signed Colidio from Boca but I dropped the ball and he singed with Sporting on deadline day... he looks immense.

What tactic did you use 1st season?

I'm now more likely to get relegated than promoted.

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

What tactic did you use 1st season?

I'm now more likely to get relegated than promoted.

Mainly a standard 442 with few instructions. Something like below, sometimes with a DLP-D and/or AP-A in cener midfield. 4411 for shuting down games. I'd probably change Amavi to FB as well. Wingbacks seems very vulnerable to runners behind.

Aston Villa_  Overview.pngAston-Villa_--Overview-5.jpg

Here's my lineup in the 2nd season.

Standard/flexible in most games.

Instructions are

Slightly higher d-line
Play out of defence
Shorter Passing
Get stuck in

Aston-Villa_--Overview-6.jpg

Nothing spectacular. And it's not plug-n-play. Will have to make changes as the matches unfold. I've survived on infinite amount of beta builds by using very simple tactics.

4 hours ago, tarjei said:

Mainly a standard 442 with few instructions. Something like below, sometimes with a DLP-D and/or AP-A in cener midfield. 4411 for shuting down games. I'd probably change Amavi to FB as well. Wingbacks seems very vulnerable to runners behind.

Aston Villa_  Overview.pngAston-Villa_--Overview-5.jpg

Cheers mate, ill give that a go and see if it turns me around.

Â