Football Manager 2017

V01

i got a work permit for some mid-table Brazilian defensive midfielder with no caps or european experience

game is flawed though, fans threw a tantrum because I tried get rid off then loaned out Westwood and Richards

vF9Viol.jpg

First season Ricky Miller-less and it's a real struggle

Made it through the Championship with not too much trouble, but now it seems the gap in quality is too big. Or the FM gods are conspiring against me..... I got a £6m budget and £350k wage budget. It was increased by £28m the day before deadline day... but with my poor player knowledge skills it takes like 3-4 weeks to scout a player. The weirdest part though is that there were less players interested in joining then there were when we were was leading the Championship. I guess club and manager reputation is just too low. I could only sign transfer listed players from Championship, League One and Serie B. I even lost out to League One teams in contract negotiations.

A couple of days before the window closed I got one of my half decent strikers injured for 2-3 months. Managed to get a loan in, but first game after the deadline my main striker broke his foot.. out 6-7 months!

Each game is a hard watch... I just can't get them to score like they used too and the opposition run through my defence like a hot knife through butter. Managed a 6-0 loss at home to Burnley somehow. Goalkeeper might as well not have shown up. But there's the odd undeserved win and lucky draws. We're conceding by far the most amount of goals from corners, free kicks and penalties in the league, and have more red cards then any other team.

On the plus side, since I haven't spent much on transfers or wages the club is projected to have £92m at the end of the season, so even if relegated I guess it worked out for the better.

• Like 2

Millwall, got them to the Prem, spent first third of season getting whipped, shocking goals against ratio. Then something clicked. Started picking up points, finished 11th . The came pre seasons. Lost some "stars" who were only of premier league quality. And the board gave me 35 to spend. Added my player sales in pre season and wanted to buy more English players as my match day eleven had none. anyway, so I go and buy 

Jack Butland 15m GK

Jack Wilshire 10m MC/amc

Ross Barkley 19m AMC

Will Hughes 10m MC

and some Dc / MC called Renato Tapia on a free, Peruvian guy

so clearly I felt cocky and couldn't believe it as Barkley coming that was unexpected. Then out of the blue England offer me the job, I didn't even notice the manager was sacked nor to be honest did I even know who it was who had been sacked. I haven't done anything to warrant the job, I've won League One, won the Championship play off final, spent about 13 months in the Prem..... Was surprised. I almost didn't want the job as, as much as I love it, sometimes it can be a real chore, but took it anyway. 

Lo and behold , about 9 matches into the season and I've won only two games! Played two England games in the international league won one lost one. Have to pull my socks up. I fancied a dark-horse push this season (season 2 in the Prem ) but my start to the season has been pure R Di Matteo! Fans and board love me though, no danger. Staying for the life of this save game at Millwall. Done all the facilities and got me a good range of feeder clubs, got me a well statted back room, loving it. But next time I load up I need to not have the telly on , I get distracted by box sets sometimes.

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Millwall, got them to the Prem, spent first third of season getting whipped, shocking goals against ratio. Then something clicked. Started picking up points, finished 11th . The came pre seasons. Lost some "stars" who were only of premier league quality. And the board gave me 35 to spend. Added my player sales in pre season and wanted to buy more English players as my match day eleven had none. anyway, so I go and buy 

Jack Butland 15m GK

Jack Wilshire 10m MC/amc

Ross Barkley 19m AMC

Will Hughes 10m MC

so clearly I felt cocky and couldn't believe it as Barkley coming that was unexpected. Then out of the blue England offer me the job, I didn't even notice the manager was sacked nor to be honest did I even know who it was who had been sacked. I haven't done anything to warrant the job, I've won League One, won the Championship play off final, spent about 13 months in the Prem..... Was surprised. I almost didn't want the job as, as much as I love it, sometimes it can be a real chore, but took it anyway. 

Lo and behold , about 9 matches into the season and I've won only two games! Played two England games in the international league won one lost one. Have to pull my socks up. I fancied a dark-horse push this season (season 2 in the Prem ) but my start to the season has been pure R Di Matteo! Fans and board love me though, no danger. Staying for the life of this save game at Millwall. Done all the facilities and got me a good range of feeder clubs, got me a well statted back room, loving it. But next time I load up I need to not have the telly on , I get distracted by box sets sometimes.

That's some nice buys. Do you pay most upfront? I want to get into the habit of doing that for the challenge but every time it's just so tempting to slap on that 48 months installment and spend 4 times as much!

My guess is you were offered the job due to starting reputation/past experience. Still it sounds a bit daft though.

I've changed to a different tactic and things are looking slightly better.. gone from a 442 to a 41221. The latter is more attacking but the anchor man seems to shore things up. I've also turned off all closing down on my defenders. So sick of them rushing out to close down players and leaving a juicy gap behind them. And I've re-done all the corner settings, which were left at default. Result: Two clean sheets in three games. I think cruising through the lower leagues on the back of Ricky Miller made me a bit complacent!

FM has always give me a couple of those seasons of two halves every now and then. I don't know what's going on with that.. there must be some underlying processes that add to it. Mostly I guess it's how the opposition approach you, but it can't be that simple.

It's interesting though... I'm still testing the latest beta versions and in it you can see opposition teams mentality, shape and players roles, and it's facilitating to see how attacking the AI teams are against me this season compared to earlier season. It's like they think they can walk all over us, which for the most part is true of course.

I do that too btw. I always watch a game or a tv show on my 2nd monitor.

Edited by tarjei

http://i.imgur.com/AzUcVuH.jpg

This one hurt a bit! Awoniyi's shot had not even crossed the line before I went total shut-up-shop-mode, so when Afonso headed in a free kick I was literally jumping and clenching the air. Only to have it all taken away and then further humiliated as my heart sank into my stomach... no other game does this to me. Playing at the The Den for a bit, by the way. Just borrowing, will return it nice and polished.

Edited by tarjei

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 07:23, Midfielder said:

Jack Butland 15m GK

Jack Wilshire 10m MC/amc

Ross Barkley 19m AMC

Will Hughes 10m MC

Im still playing fm16 but Renato Tapia is always in my teams. 

I've made a solid start to my Villa save. Sat 3rd in the league after just beating Forest at home 3-2, after being 3-0 up at half time. Only lost once so far, to Sheff W on the opening day. 

I've bought in Tom Ince, who's got 3 goals and 2 assists already, and a centre midfielder, Gregor Breinburg, from NEC who's bossing it with 90% pass completion next to Jedinak. 

Ive rebuilt and filled the back room, adding Scholes and Lindeman, plus a load of youth coaches and sorts scientists, now rated best in the league across most staff areas. 

The promotion push is on. Kodjia, Ayew and Ince have clicked as a trio for me with McCormack as a shadow striker behind. With Adomah, Grealish and Green as competition. 

This is my first Villa save in years and i'm loving it so far.

Christmas time and i'm unbeaten but drawn a few too many. Sitting top of the league by a couple of points.

Sold Kozak and Cissokho. Got £6m for Aly from Sunderland, pants officially pulled down.

Focused on the Midfield for improvements.

Brought in Diego Poyet on a free, Donny Van de Beek and Daley Sinkgraven for £8m combined and then loaned in Kasper Dolberg with a £10m future fee.

Playing a 4-3-3 with Jedinak/Poyet in defensive midfield and a combination of Tish, Gardner, Bacuna and my new additions in front.

Grealish, Ayew and Kodjia are my main 3 with McCormack, Adomah and Dolberg rotating in.

Westwood, Gestede and Gabby all want to leave but nobody wants them.

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

This is my first Villa save in years and i'm loving it so far.

Christmas time and i'm unbeaten but drawn a few too many. Sitting top of the league by a couple of points.

Sold Kozak and Cissokho. Got £6m for Aly from Sunderland, pants officially pulled down.

Focused on the Midfield for improvements.

Brought in Diego Poyet on a free, Donny Van de Beek and Daley Sinkgraven for £8m combined and then loaned in Kasper Dolberg with a £10m future fee.

Playing a 4-3-3 with Jedinak/Poyet in defensive midfield and a combination of Tish, Gardner, Bacuna and my new additions in front.

Grealish, Ayew and Kodjia are my main 3 with McCormack, Adomah and Dolberg rotating in.

Westwood, Gestede and Gabby all want to leave but nobody wants them.

I didn't spot Poyet until it was too late! The scouting knowledge is atrocious so making it harder to find players for me. 

Im scouting a fair amount of players in anticipation of promotion. 

I haven't shipped many out, only Hutton and Kozak, will look to move on a few in January who aren't getting a kick. 

8 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I didn't spot Poyet until it was too late! The scouting knowledge is atrocious so making it harder to find players for me. 

Im scouting a fair amount of players in anticipation of promotion. 

I haven't shipped many out, only Hutton and Kozak, will look to move on a few in January who aren't getting a kick. 

To be honest I noticed he went to Fulham in another save so snapped him up quickly on this one.

Did have Filipe Santana, ex Dortmund and Schalke centre half signed up as well but couldn't get a work permit for him.

Hi all, im still on fm16 but this just a general question....

Does anyone else have problems against the bottom teams?

I regularly lose to them and I have played a lot of FM so its not just a few times.

No matter what I try i just struggle against them but I can't really work out why.

Any advice or experiences shared would be appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming you're a much better team they will just shut up shop against you and deny you space, You attack them constantly and then they score a counter. 

You have to find a way to break them down.

You can play a patient passing game trying to draw them out and create space, or go less subtle pumping the ball into the box towards a target man with another striker and/or attacking midfielder to get on the end of flick ons.

It's simple to say and difficult to implement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, V01 said:

Assuming you're a much better team they will just shut up shop against you and deny you space, You attack them constantly and then they score a counter. 

You have to find a way to break them down.

You can play a patient passing game trying to draw them out and create space, or go less subtle pumping the ball into the box towards a target man with another striker and/or attacking midfielder to get on the end of flick ons.

It's simple to say and difficult to implement.

Cheers mate, in my latest game I was 4th and Qpr were 20th with only 1 win in 12 games. I actually scored 1st so i decided to play a patient controlling game and they go bang bang 2 goals.... really cant understand where it came from they had only scored 5 goals in the 12 games. Without whinging did feel like a bit of FM moment

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Cheers mate, in my latest game I was 4th and Qpr were 20th with only 1 win in 12 games. I actually scored 1st so i decided to play a patient controlling game and they go bang bang 2 goals.... really cant understand where it came from they had only scored 5 goals in the 12 games. Without whinging did feel like a bit of FM moment

Just to add to what @V01 said, but complacency tends to be a factor in games such as that. Unless you rock the boat a bit your players will go in expecting to win easy.

In addition to form and stature, what you said in the post-match team-talk in the prior game and in the pre-match press-conference might add to complacency.

If you are up against the bottom teams I've found it's better to upset your team in the final team talk and talk them down to the press a bit.

29 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Just to add to what @V01 said, but complacency tends to be a factor in games such as that. Unless you rock the boat a bit your players will go in expecting to win easy.

In addition to form and stature, what you said in the post-match team-talk in the prior game and in the pre-match press-conference might add to complacency.

If you are up against the bottom teams I've found it's better to upset your team in the final team talk and talk them down to the press a bit.

I have just replayed the game for the third time. Each time I alter my tactics and I dominate possession. I have lost all 3 games. Cmon this has to be rigged........ I have scored 1 goal to their 6 in these 3 games. 

Â