Football Manager 2017

V01

Release date of 4th November, 2 week beta access if pre purchased from authorised retailers. FM Touch is available as a standalone and also included with the full game.

There is a loyalty reward for pre purchasing through Steam, up to 20% discount for owning all of FM13-16 or 5% for each one.

I'm trying not to buy this year, but I know I'll cave at some point and end up smashing it for months.

Min Specs

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon 2.2GHz+ 

Memory: 2 GB RAM 

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 Intel GMA X3100 256MB VRAM 

DirectX: Version 9.0c 

Storage: 3 GB available space

Done it since it was introduced, nothing to worry about in regards to glitches or bugs, There is a small update on launch day to upgrade it from beta to full game, maybe a couple of minor tweaks too, but nothing most people would notice.

Basically, if you're gonna buy the game you might as well go for beta access, It's a good idea to keep an eye on the si forums as there is usually a pre-order thread that has the cheapest place to buy with/without beta access. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Midfielder said:

i'll be getting it on the day or soon after, but confess to being a dirty rotten scumbag who cant play it without FM Genie Scout.

If it makes you enjoy the game, then there isn't a problem with it really. People always ask why i continue to play saves that i dominate the league/champions league every season, i just find it fun.

Agreed. Plus there's no guarantees all those who you identify will come anyway. It's a head start. Genie Scout all the way. Sad to admit but I've had every FM bar a couple since the first one in the Amiga and ever since the first Genie Scout have had the two alongside each other. 

Pas for original topic, so in the 2017 release, villa aside, who will people be picking. Most FM players I know have developed soft spots for random teams they have had no previous relationship with in their life. So me, on release day I always do a Millwall save game, one club man. I'll move to do a separate Villa one after though. Most times I revert back to my Millwall one. This all came about once when I just pressed random choice and it picked Millwall and became a ritual ever since. 

Last year there were many ads on TV, prior to release. Real life stories of fans doing the above. You look at the worldwide fan base of the game it's impressive. They showed these four Dutch dudes who are Woking season ticket holders who drive over for every home match, all because of a Woking obsession through FM. Some of the ad campaign stuff last year captured some funny things. Nader Chadli apparently plays daily and literally has an addiction to the game or used to. Fair play Nacer. 

I even look out for the results of some teAms and my FM history predictably sees me choose from the following save game choices, and ps , I never move club ever, I stay one club for life, well.... Per save game. So, most prominently and predictably over the years:

italy- cremonese or Lazio (because of the GOLDEN DAYS of football Italian on channel 4, as a kid, on a Saturday morn or Sunday afternoon, fire up the Amiga , Champo, and a bit of James Richardson and Serie A, those were the days)

England- villa or Millwall as mentioned

sweden - djurgardens IF (have a massive interest in Allsvenskan and DIF I've coordinated city breaks to go see but in th days if their old stadium) 

i sometimes add Spain or Germany as a league but have never ever done a season in either. So for me, I'll do a day 1 millwall save. Then at some point start a villa one and at some point start a djurgardens one. 

In those non-world dominating save games, in a sadistic way, I love the struggle of having these nearly-wonder kids and fearing bids every window, but knowing you have ready replacements and that starlet you signed for 50k from Peru, albeit only getting 3m for gets bought by say Bayern and goes on to be a 300k per week superstar.... I actually love those save games. 

So yeah I'll be Millwall on day 1. They're my FM soft spot team and if I have the day to myself, no visitors, nothing on, I'll even whip out millwall training gear and wear that while playing. Yeah that's right I confessed it. Sad. Sometimes I have to work long hours but end up getting a block of days off, and when the days fall like that, I will totally love a singled out recluse day of nothing but FM and Talk Sport / five live, or Spotify all day, just for some me time and a break from people / everything. De stress. Obviously not all the time though. 

takes a lot of time to play though these days and I have to sometimes block out the time to play it if I have nothing on. It's not the kind of thing I can ever put on for half an hour. I've never grown out of games, and where I can get away with it in Me time, it's my go-to game of choice. November 4th is a Friday right.

im not sure it'll work out like this but that weekend I'll be stopping off at Tesco after work and making a lot of excuses , possibly about a magic bug, not feeling good. That's the FM bug. In saying that though, I never do the beta ever. I just go on day 1 and load when Eugene drops the scout. God bless that Ukrainian. 

22 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

Is the mobile phone version any good? Think that's the only way I'd get time to play these days. 

It's ok, I had spells of getting it on the IPad but it's nothing compared to pc as expected but for 7/8 quid it's very good. There's Classic and Touch now, one is probably say a stripped down PC version and the other like the old Sony PSP version. I just do the pc one , plus I need a mouse to play it and find it fumbly on iPad. 

Although the iPad version is absolutely perfect for train journeys or getting stuck if sent to a hotel by your work or whatever. Except for the former, annoying if someone sits next to you and you find them hooked on watching it, then comes the pressure when you've rotated to your second string X1 to rest the first X1 and find yourself trailing at home to Chesterfield in the FA cup, then they realise oh, you're not Chesterfield then. 

I had to do a secondment about three years ago that meant a ninety minute train ride in each direction daily and playing FM on the train with music in earphones was the highlight of those days as the work was mind numbing. So yeah I'd recommend mobile FM for anyone who has to commute. Me, not for me though any more and playing it on a phone is damn near impossible for man fingers. But like I say, get it if you're not a pc player. Or buy a pc and get hooked on the real deal. 

• Like 1

On 06/09/2016 at 22:20, PatrickCousens said:

Is the mobile phone version any good? Think that's the only way I'd get time to play these days. 

What @Midfielder has said. I only play the mobile version these days and I love it still. It is not as vast as the PC/Mac version absolutely but is ultimately still the same game. I have to get the train a lot for my job and completely agree; fantastic for those journeys! Because it is so easy just to pick up; even when I am at home easy to play rather than going onto main computer. If its the only way you will get to play then absolutely worth it! Though it physically will never be as expansive as the PC version. 

On 7 September 2016 at 13:35, Daniel said:

If it makes you enjoy the game, then there isn't a problem with it really. People always ask why i continue to play saves that i dominate the league/champions league every season, i just find it fun.

I don't, I struggle, it's my main complaint about the game, on my final fm16 game I edited it so villa were in the championship, I'm now in about 2026 and I've won the league 5 years on the trot, 2/3 of the last CL and did the quadruple last year, I'm pretty much just chasing achievements now

for me there needs to be not a better learning curve to it but a curve that can happen at any time, not necessarily new owners and another team getting loads of money but something like a class of 92 or a mechanism of some sort that means someone else can really challenge you, I think the biggest problem is the computers scouting, they buy dross, I have my pick of the world class youngsters, think I've had all 3 players in the ballondor for the last couple of years too, I can easily out scout the computer and it ruins the game

ten years with villa and I didn't have a single regen come through the youth team who I was even able to sell...never had that before, just a shit crop year after year, invested loads in to it too

edit: the fix to that which I think I'd said before in the 2016 thread would be a more realistic football club set up with chief scouts, director of football etc etc as a manager I identify targets through the management meetings and they go do it, an option that says "we need a left back" rather than me spending 2 hours scouting manually and finding the best left back in the world for £1m, I think they should really take power off you and it would make it far harder

Edited by villa4europe

I'm currently in 2042, most of the big teams (Man City, United, Chelsea) all gone from the premier league and replaced by super rich teams like Kettering and Sheffield United. I love seeing how different the league changes the further you go in.

On 06/09/2016 at 22:57, Midfielder said:

i'll be getting it on the day or soon after, but confess to being a dirty rotten scumbag who cant play it without FM Genie Scout.

Wow - that would strip out almost all of the fun, for me.  Most of the teams I build are pretty young - I spend hours finding players all round the world.  Using something that tells me "this guy is the best" makes the game entirely pointless.

Funny how different people get different kicks out of it though, eh?

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Wow - that would strip out almost all of the fun, for me.  Most of the teams I build are pretty young - I spend hours finding players all round the world.  Using something that tells me "this guy is the best" makes the game entirely pointless.

Funny how different people get different kicks out of it though, eh?

can see point of view. A lot of it is to do with time. Damned FM (well, CM) affected my A level grades. Then throughout five years of uni, that Champo addiction and playing it during the day literally became my 9-5 sort of thing, rarely going to classes. Although the game has evolved to be a lot more in depth since, you could blitz through a couple of seasons in a day in those days.

For me, when I’m really busy, a season on FM could take me a month to get through. If on a nearly rare FM day these days I can get through two thirds of a season in a day. Scout definitely fits with lifestyle and my schedule. Plus in some ways, in-game scout usage and manual searching sometimes has no visibility toward the spectrum of players I want to sign. If I was Forest Green and had a 30k budget, I would totally want Genie Scout to show me the Icelandic based striker available for a 7k transfer, the Cypriot teenage goalie who has been regenned without a club etc. In fact that's a major draw too, the regens.

Also, I think in some ways everyone will have FM/CM stories of times when they were way way into it more than they should have been. I blame myself and also lame the game too, for being that good. But yeah I’m happy with Scout usage, suits my time constraints as a bloke in late 30s and also a ruthless drive for FM success and domination and what I want out of the gaming experience.

Each to their own. I respect all FM players and especially those purists who shun the Genie Scout.

On 9 September 2016 at 10:36, Phumfeinz said:

I saw a post on Reddit the other day about someone who simulated to 1000 years in the future, it was a funny read. Here if you want to check it out.

What you all want to know - Villa win 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups in the next 1000 years and that's all :lol:

Look at the CL records, attendances :lol:

Â