Football Manager 2017

V01

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

It's interesting that you say this - it kind of feels to me that 'everyone else' (computer controlled teams) has wonderkids, but never seem to get any when I start a new save or even come through during the course of a game. Apart from sending about 13 out on loan to get more action, I do not understand how to get your average youth/U23s to improve. I tend to let me assistant set the training and intervene once a fortnight with an occasional tweak.

I havent been in the FM thread for a while. Had play time interrupted, of all games. But finding time here n there. 

I'm still on my Torino save, same one since day 1 of install, about 11 years in. In this time I have evolved the club to having massive coaching staff, however, a superb Head of Youth Development. I poached him from Inter (Inter in my savegame took one hgell of a fall from grace with a relegation in about season 5 so did Lazio and are yoyo teams) anyway so this guy i think his name is Roberto Samaden, has plucked in the last say five seasons, about 5 or 6 players i play in my first 11. One, a regen called Vallefuoco (my AML) is one of the best players i have ever had in my entire history with FM/ CM. Actually not sure thats helping your question. But of all my annual regen harvests from the youth candidates of Torino i always get at least 2 worth keeping always. and for that matter, i am all over other under 16s so bad, that i should have operation yewtree after me because i am stalking throughout feb march april when they all generate. anyway...

Right so my point is, I believe in securing the absolute best backroom staff possible, I'm all OCD about that. Ones that dont want to come, I keep them on staff shortlist as one day, as you grow, they will. Anyway, thats all great when youre a big team, well.... Torino werent that big when i started savegame, anyway so i have evolved the backroom over time. When i get regens pop out of the FM womb in about april 6th ish in Italy, i like reading that most are Torino fans and have most names from my backroom as fave staff and that bodes well as i have players who yes, you get the bids from Madrid or Barca but their heads arent turned, although sometimes they hit you with the wanting more money but most times ill just ask them to sack their agent and they do. If you want a payrise son, ill be telling you when thats on the menu.

right anyway, so, good backroom staff as best as possible. like you, i also believe in the loan system but i wont loan them to anyone. and i also dont believe it when their offers say Important First Team Member, as often sometimes they dont stick to that. So, ill screen loans and actually look at the teams squad, oh so they actually do need a DR, fine i will allow him to go there, as most times the player youre loaning out is better than their main 1st choice anyway or as i find. So i screen loans, i want any loaned out players to get at least 30 games and be playing. I have trialled keeping some in the reserve team versus loaning them out and i find the loaned out ones advance much much quicker. even quicker, than say having a 17 year old wonderkid and you include him in 1st team, but say give him ten subs appearances, still doesnt grow quicker than if loaned out to lower league. Even if, that teams a sh-- one , i just want them to play. nothing i hate more than having a player about say 20 and hes got about 20 appearances to his name. i want a 20 year old to have about 100 appearances by then! 

good backroom to ensure as good a regen as poss is "born", effective use of loans to manipulate as best as poss how many games a loaned out player gets...i also let the assistant control the training agree with you there. but then my assistant is the best i can get. in the beginning of any save i actually spend most of my transfer budget getting rid of and replacing staff members than i do buying players...

also, as admitted before, and i dont hide it, i do actually use FM GENIE scout (but no editors) so i actually press print a few times a season and casually read the Current Abilities and Potential Abilities as I'm playing and dont get me wrong, sometimes i have load times or just glance away as i have the highlights on and it makes for good reading. As i see a list of players who are responding to development and those who quite simply you have everything in place for them to succeed but they are simply never up to it. 

For instance, my becnhmark is 150 PA and above and by the time they are 18, i want them to be 100 CA (current ability) 120 by 19 if poss but min of 130 by 21, but the true greats, you see wonderkids of 140 CA by 18 and those are the true greats. I'm scientific about youth development on FM but do admit to Scout usage which is like steroids i guess by way of analogy. 

excuse this post, because i AM TYPING AND ITS MAKING IT LOOK LIKE I AM WORKING AND THAT I AM BUSY WHEN WHAT I AM REALLY DOING IS GETTING TO 4PM WITHOUT BOREDOM-TO-DEATH IN THE WORKPLACE and helping you...

• Like 3

5f57463ff829582e00537fc4e579498c.png

Finally got round to finishing this season (2023/24). Very pleased I managed top half, it seems to be a common theme for me that my first half of the season is really poor (Only a couple points above 18th at one point) and then once January comes around it all changes. Didn't do anything in the cups again which is disappointing, desperately want to win at least one of them next season. The club also announced new stadium plans however everything was TBC so not actually sure when that'll happen. Aim for next season has to be Europe, I've put together a pretty decent side now. 

0ff705a171c9006cd267deb5ee58dab0.png

Speaking of wonderkids, here's Jason Harker I showed last time. He's developed incredibly well. Ended up using him as a 10 so that's where I've trained him, would probably do better up front but I have another regen there who's been with me since the Championship and just scored 24 goals in the season, not a chance I'm dropping him. 

18 hours ago, Farlz said:

5f57463ff829582e00537fc4e579498c.png

Finally got round to finishing this season (2023/24). 

How are Villa doing? My Argyle save is about March 21 and I'm in The Championship fighting for the play offs but Villa are fighting not to drop to League One and on their 4th manager.

8 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

How are Villa doing? My Argyle save is about March 21 and I'm in The Championship fighting for the play offs but Villa are fighting not to drop to League One and on their 4th manager.

They never once got promoted to the Prem and just finished 15th in League 1 having been relegated the season earlier.

starting to think jonathan calleri is going to end up on one of these comedy FM wonderkid who ended up being shit lists in 10 years time, in the last 3/4 games he was pretty much must buy for me (along with pavon, melli, silva, cubas, vadala and peruzzi...)

I think I have to conceded I'm just shit at FM these days. I struggled with 16 (longest save lasted about 6 seasons) and I'm struggling to get s decent save on 17 going.

I really like my Villa team but after getting promoted and then surviving my first Premier League season, I'm struggling in the next season. Bottom of the league and nearly cut adrift. 

Really frustrating and my Mrs thinks its hilarious how annoyed I get. Before FM 16 I owned FM10 and without bragging I ripped that game a new behind. At least 2 saves where I just dominated.

I was up for the challenge don't get me wrong, I'm no flat track bully. However constant lack of success and never really understanding what I do wrong has left me a little deflated. I imagine this is how Tim Sherwood would feel if his head wasn't up his own ass. 

• Like 3

On 23/04/2017 at 00:24, Villan_of_oz said:

I think I have to conceded I'm just shit at FM these days. I struggled with 16 (longest save lasted about 6 seasons) and I'm struggling to get s decent save on 17 going.

I really like my Villa team but after getting promoted and then surviving my first Premier League season, I'm struggling in the next season. Bottom of the league and nearly cut adrift. 

Really frustrating and my Mrs thinks its hilarious how annoyed I get. Before FM 16 I owned FM10 and without bragging I ripped that game a new behind. At least 2 saves where I just dominated.

I was up for the challenge don't get me wrong, I'm no flat track bully. However constant lack of success and never really understanding what I do wrong has left me a little deflated. I imagine this is how Tim Sherwood would feel if his head wasn't up his own ass. 

Without knowing any ins and outs I think a good tactical overhaul can save the day. Also bear in mind it can take time for tactics to kick in, well definitely with the familiarity anyway. And get ready to start picking a first choice eleven. When results are going against, it's easy to keep chopping and changing but I'd stick to a first eleven, this is a needs must crisis. 

I have never uploaded any screenshots of my FM yet but will upload my tactic at some point. Hopefully later if I get the time. 

On FM we have all been there then you get one result out of the blue and it literally is like turning a corner when the points start clocking up. Just out of interest, how many games are left to play and how many points adrift are you from safety? 

Edit... see? Happens to us all

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2923562/bournemouth-defender-steve-cook-gets-video-game-rage

"Unfortunately, the red mist got the better of Bournemouth defender Steve Cook this week with the 25 year old succumbing to a fit of rage" ..:. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:58, Midfielder said:

I havent been in the FM thread for a while. Had play time interrupted, of all games. But finding time here n there. 

I'm still on my Torino save...

Hi there - what a comprehensive and diligent post... I haven't quoted it all back to save valuable forum bytes. Some invaluable guidance in there, which upon reading through it twice is actually pretty simple if you know what you are doing. I of course, do not really know what I am doing, but I have a bit of guidance now to follow from you to improve my set up. In my next save, I can do things leaner and smarter from the off - kind of like if Villa did appoint an experienced manager instead of a fan from the Holte!

Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I am grateful... May all your saves, be top notch ones.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Hi there - what a comprehensive and diligent post... I haven't quoted it all back to save valuable forum bytes. Some invaluable guidance in there, which upon reading through it twice is actually pretty simple if you know what you are doing. I of course, do not really know what I am doing, but I have a bit of guidance now to follow from you to improve my set up. In my next save, I can do things leaner and smarter from the off - kind of like if Villa did appoint an experienced manager instead of a fan from the Holte!

Thanks for taking the time to post all that. I am grateful... May all your saves, be top notch ones.

I have spent a lot of time on FM right from early 90s on the Amiga through to present day. And albeit I do use Genie Scout from time to time, I have developed an OCD and routine for playing it... I'll share anything relevant . Probably more capable experts than I on here but any questions just ask. 

But later on I'll post up my tactics and stuff I've never done it before. 

b74d4e3d69f888fa6aad9192b977ad898f0f75d2

Affiliates – I realise if you’re a lower league manager this is a luxury as your board might refuse you one because of the annual cost. However, some clubs have them at the start, do you have one that is setup just for a friendly? Can you renegotiate it to be one where you can turn it into a loan setup? Have a try, or to set one up under that pretense with the aim to change it (get one over the stingy chairman) if they allow at all. But for chairmen that say yes, do it. I swear by affiliates, as many as possible. Across a range of divisions, as soon as your player is 17, ship em out! Anyway, my point is twice a year roughly the option comes to ask the board for an affiliate. Do it. And need I say anymore … WORK PERMIT AFFILIATE. If you are Peterborough United or Whitehawk FC they 99/100 wont allow it. If you’re Villa or anyone above, they most likely will. Oh whats that, that Columbian 18 year old would come for 50k fee and a grand a week? Hell yeah, off to my affiliate you go. It’s not about having them live in that country any more for 3-5 years. NO! it’s about getting them games, so that you can ask the govt to appeal for a work permit, it gets granted. You’ll be amazed especially if it’s a non-main nation, often, once they start getting u21 int games, a lot get given: Conditional permits. Then its party time. You can play them OR…. Loan them domestically… further increasing their game time and … having them learn the language and culture quicker. So it’s about getting your foot in the door. Sure, the next Neymar may laugh in your face… but, what about those low key gems… the Uruguayan Ian Taylor, the Chinese Dean Saunders… sign em up. Get em into the system. People mock Chelsea and Man City in real life for stockpiling talent, but that’s the future, some make the grade some dont. Get that talent in, and youll either be playing them or selling them on at crazy profit. Football is not just a sport, it’s a business. Get that PLC mindset and get that commodity conveyor belt going, play the system.

Facilities. Like the above really with the regular board requests, however, obviously you’ll know your club and their constraints. If you are a cash rich team they will happily allow upgrades a lot of the team, bear in mind a youth setup upgrade or training facilities upgrade is a few mill a time for top division teams, have 4m in bank/. No deal. So upgrade upgrade upgrade as much as possible…. When possible, like I said above about PLC mindset, if you get selling players regularly you’re eventually earning for amounts to spend. Afterall, you want the stature of the club to grow too right? I mean you might want to get Bristol Rovers to the Prem for instance, but you have to move with the times. It’ll cost, but sometimes the club will finance it via a loan. So it’s worth asking. In the growth of my beloved Torino, I was constantly at the chairman’d door with requests, like Andy Duprene in Shawshank with the library books. I’ll keep asking til you say yes, and then when you say yes, ill be asking even more. I didn’t get bummed in the showers at Torino though, nor is that how my chairman relationship is so good. Anyway so yeah get with the upgrades, to the senior team and the youth team stuff. You get 2-3 asks per “go” across the diff areas that are askable, so spend them wisely. Imprving youth recruitment though, and junior coaching, I’m all for that as soon as possible. Keep an eye on those requestables becoming lit again to pick. I mean the affiliates one alone is twice a year so sorta remember 6 months on from when you last clicked etc to click again.

Backroom staff- as said in another post up a few, I place heavy emphasis on this. Sure, if you’re lower league you’ll take who you can get and be limited in size. But you will grow. If the board allow the space, fill those positions, if you can, ask for more spaces. I genuinely think that this has a direct impact on how good the Newgens are. Ok so my Torino game is successful, but, every year , naturally, it churns out at least two wonderkids. And these wonderkids are from the Turin region, Torino die hards at the age of 16… with all their stated fave personnel in place at my club and love Torino. Very rewarding when you get there. Actually I’ll mention newgens:

Newgens- as you’ll be aware, new players are generated every year. Some of which often replace those who retire (regens), not many but some. But newgens are guaranteed within a sort of window of time. Now, when they are “born” into the game they pretty much are available to sign on a pre contract for about 2 days before they sign YTS type terms (showing my age here, if you think whats YTS then I envy you). Anyway so , when theyre born ill have a butchers, and move in. Sure, that takes money and if you’re tight, it wont happen much. For me, I’m all over it. I don’t go and take every good one there is though but I am like a hawk. Most often too, I do not go for any add ons just a straight fee. Though, quite sensibly the clubs mandatorily demand a sell on fee, and quite rightly. But other fees, sack that, I would rather pay for it one go and often works out the same if not slightly cheaper, and they get all the money in one go too. Win win. England I think churns out regens about first week of march I think, Italy usually a week later, in fact I think March is newgen time for all the big euro nations. So keep an eye out. If your youth team is a bag of ----, get sly with someone elses. PLC mentality I said, commodities etc. Miss that window of a couple of days post-birth and Ajax might not want 2m for that star youth, but instead may want 60m now. Some might make the grade and be your superstar, some, might be ones you probably even never will play but will earn you many millions upon sale and with your own sell on fee clauses added. Double payday.

Fitness- Serie A is nice for fitness, the league seems to by default… make the home league players fitter. What I mean by that is its usually no problem to get 2 games a week out of my first eleven without having to rotate. Pace of the premierleague though…. Takes its toll. Bear in mind also the intensity of this tactic will be harder on the legs in the premiership. So your players who need cotton wool to achieve two games a week might be the ones you often find yourself subbing on 70 mins. But you can still squeeze two games per week out, but I place a lot of emphasis on mine for stamina and strength as usually that means natural fitness is high. Nothing wrong with rotating. And not a chore either , if once a season you bother to save a 1st team selection aaaaaaaaaand your rotated xi selection. Click click , team swapped. Simple.

Damn, I knew this would turn out long. Anyway better talk tactics.

First off, I used to be absolutely obsessed with getting as much green as poss with the player suitability to role. I used to do the real life mantra of setting a formation around the players you have. And so, like I said, making sure they were all as green as possible woth positional familiarity. Screw that! I set my tactic on day 1, have only tweaked it slightly in all my in game seasons, ill post it below. I do not ever change it except maybe three times per season when IN GAME I will switch to counter attacking mentality if say away at Barca. If I am being outplayed in that circumstance I will soak it up for a bit hopefully not concede or if I concede itll be only one… but then… let their phase die out like some Muhammed Ali taunts & footwork and deliberately taking some jabs to fool them before BAM its attacking mentality and one uppercut later I’m scoring and theyre up against the ropes. But otherwise, I do not change tactics. If I am losing a regular match though, I will almost instantly go OVERLOAD mentality. I know that sounds dramatic and very dangerous. However, I keep the back line back, and if that improves things and fends them off, ill then move the backline further forward. I find more often than not, that in those times, you will score. The test, is how long you have the balls to keep that back line up. But, if like me, youre watching the highlights, or if you don’t but youre keeping an eye on things, youll know what to do next. It’s like an anaesthetist, watches a patients BP and heart function, while the op is taking place. That’s you, watching if all is ok to proceed. So if you use this tactic, I hope it works as I don’t fiddle much. Personally I like my midfielders, and I like them traditional and rounded. Stick your AMC’s up yer arse. I want me a three man central team, two Gerrards and a Viera. I want one striker with two Inside forwards, no wingers. Inside forwards are not wingers people. I don’t want crosses from my Forwards! I want them cutting in, Ronaldo and Bale, theyre not wingers… I want that. Anyway:

If you have set my formation up, some of these instructions replicate across the players automatically so you wont need to adjust to select these. Some you may, but, I have listed them all in their entireity in case you see something different, ill list by position with instructions listed, both positional and individual. Ok?

Detail incoming!

MENTALITY STANDARD - FLUID

GK – DEFEND

Distribute to centre backs, roll it out,

DR + DL – WING BACKS – ATTACK

Shoot less often, tackle harder, fewer risky passes, dribble more, run wide with the ball, cross more often, cross from the byline, get further forward,

DC + DC – CENTRAL DEFENDER – STOPPER

Tackle harder, pass it shorter, shoot less often, dribble less, fewer risky passes,

DMC – BALL WINNING MIDFIELDER – DEFEND

Shoot less often, mark tighter, pass it shorter, dribble less, fewer risky passes, hold position, close down much more, tackle harder,

MC + MC – BOX TO BOX MIDFIELDER (YES BOTH OF THEM) – SUPPORT

Shoot less often, dribble less, tackle harder, mark tighter, get further forward, more direct passes, more risky passes, move into channels, close down much more, roam from position,

AMR + AML – INSIDE FORWARD – SUPPORT

Close down more, tackle harder, mark higher (those three are defaulted across but don’t be worried by them being listed, not detrimental), get further forward, roam from position, sit narrower, dribble more, cut inside with the ball, more risky passes, cross less often,

AC – DEEP LYING FORWARD – SUPPORT (yes I know it says support, trust me, im a doctor!)

Hold up ball, more risky passes

Ok that’s yer lot. A couple of those instructions may seem contradictory. But I find my formation works. What does it say, well I think this formation is balanced, and aside from the wing backs crossing, and central midfield playing some choice direct balls, the rest is nice passing style. Brian Clough once said, ‘ if god wanted football to be played in the air he would have put grass in the sky’, god damned right brian. I don’t want my midfielders crossing! Crossing to a minimum from my wing backs. “Whats he on about, I’m lower leaguer aint got the players for that sh--” I don’t care, keep it on the carpet lads… surprise yourself. Entertain your fans. In your head, they’ll be singing “its just like watching Brazil” on the Dover terraces or wherever!

I don’t need wingers because I get coverage from attack minded wing backs, albeit hosted as DR and DL. So I do get some… crosses. Screw wingers. I want AML and AMR as almost-strikers. Like I said, Bale and Ronaldo. Even if you’re in the Conference, don’t worry. Go with it. Narrow central midfield , the way it should be. Basic DCs but with the instructions to pass out nice and short, hoof it forward = I kill your first born. And besides, I allow my MC’s a little direct passing lee way, afterall, their passing is 15+ isn’t it people ;o) anyway sack it you can see some screenshots and work it out for yourselves if youre bothered. New tactics do take a while to bed in, remember that, look at the tactic familiarity bar can take weeks and months. So implement it and stick with it and with patience. Sorry for mega long post, I haven’t posted up tech detail in FM thread before though so that’s me done, almost.

Two final thoughts. Player happiness. Even in my total utopia save game I rarely but it happens, get players who think they are bigger than the mighty Torino. I have the conversation and 19/20 they’ll be staying and the chat is friendly. However, you’ll know… that one who eventually becomes the bad apple. If I see one aspect of dissent or something I don’t like, I don’t care if they are my favourite newgen they are out. Listed there and then. Even if its feb 1st. Because then sonny, youre dealt with, you cant dissent much if you know your future is that youre being shipped out where c words are welcome and will have burned bridge with fellow players and the fans. And if you do this, the squad will side with you I find. Even the post sale news interview sides with you. Think of it like this, a Romero zombie film. One of your lads gets bit by zombie, but kinda hides it at first. You bet your arse, that scumbag “will turn” in the future and bite into your squad when they’re all on the team bus home. Get that zombie scumbag out of your squad as soon as. Fan favourite? I don’t care. Silver bullet that gimp, “terminate with extreme prejudice”.

Finally - Accurate squad status – damn… this I find is so important to stop players coming to your door. It is worth reviewing this regularly. Not doing so leads the players to requesting contracts a lot more and also potentially become disillusioned. All youth of mine, all…. I have as hot prospect. Always. That works for many many years up to the point theyre getting about 15-20 starts a season. But I am very careful as to who I allow to call themselves as key players. First teamers more so, and obv the squad rotation but use key player sparingly. Eventually they’ll want a contract to match that and that is absolutely fair enough… but they can have that deal when they have around 18 months left. Don’t be afraid to get them to sack their agent too, I do this a lot as quite often on mine I have had players wanting pay upgrades literally twice a year and its not actually their fault it’s the bloody agent. Anyway sht , I better go. Heres some screens.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

£373m in 10 years? i think i spent that in one season with PSG

Next time you're spending, Andrea Belotti of Torino. In about 25 years of FM / CM, I have never had anyone more prolific. Couldn't tell you how much he costs as I refused to sell him. I play him still age 34. Absolute legend for me. 

Rumour is he's coming to premier league... welcome, The Rooster! 

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Midfielder

I never go online for FM stuff but the occasional glance at the thread here but since I mentioned up a few about Newgen dates... heres a guide of approximate dates for the first few years. I just pinched the link, just in case anyone likes em young:  http://www.footballmanagerstory.com/fm-2017-regen-dates-youth-intake/

COUNTRY         2017                           2018                  2019                 2020                  2021

Argentina 31st July 8th August 1st August 30th July 31st July
Australia 13h September 13th September 13th September 12th September 13th September
Austria 14th February 10th February 14th February 18th February 11th February
Belgium 9th March 13th March 6th March 9th March 9th March
Brazil 11th September 11th September 18th September 14th September 7th September
Chile 5th March &
19th September
26th September - 29th February -
Colombia 6th January 13th January 10th January 2nd January 6th January
Croatia 22nd February 19th February 22nd February - 25th February
Czech Replublic 7th March 16th March 12th March 4th March 6th March
Denmark 16th March 12th March 5th March 5th March 5th March
England 7th March 28th February 1st March 28th February 6th March
France 1st March 1st March 3rd March 26th February 6th March
Germany 3rd March 26th February 6th March 29th February 5th March
Holland 14th March 19th March 25th March 17th March 24th March
Ireland 8th September 19th September 17th September 14th September 7th September
Italy 8th March 14th March 6th March 15th March 5th March
Japan 27th August 27th August 27th August 26th August 27th August
Mexico 19th February 24th February 22nd February 15th February 19th February
Norway 4th February 28th January 3rd February 23rd January 23rd January
Paraguay 7th June 7th June 7th June 6th June 7th June
Portugal 17th March 6th March 6th March 16th March 15th March
Romania 24th February 7th March 5th March 2nd March 23rd February
Russia 21st February 19th February 17th February 9th February 16th February
Scotland 8th March 28th February 7th March 3rd March 3rd March
Serbia 23rd February 18th February 25th February 16th February 22nd February
South Africa 24th March 21st March 30th March 22nd March 21st March
South Korea 5th September 1st September 4th September 6th September -
Spain 19th March 18th March 17th March 27th March 28th March
Sweden 22nd August 2nd September 2nd September 28th August 30th August
Switzerland 25th February 8th March 8th March 27th February 5th March
Turkey - 8th March 27th February 4th March 28th February
Ukraine 15th March 6th March 12th March 6th March 14th March
Uruguay 20th July 21st July 18th July 18th July 22nd July
USA 26th December (2016) 27th December 27th December - 27th December
Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I've never actually bought him myself, seen him get mega money moves a couple of times and not do much, dybala is my go to mega signing striker

Have never signed Dybala, but on mine Man City bought him for 40-50m + and he was the bain of a few Champions League games for me. 

I'm totally bossing it with Villa but I do have quite a lack of youth talent minus 4 or 5 players. Trying to be in a position with my squad where I can start selling the stars and replacing them with the youth players. Problem is, my youth talents are mainly wingers and I don't play with wingers. 

1 minute ago, quazzie goat said:

I'm totally bossing it with Villa but I do have quite a lack of youth talent minus 4 or 5 players. Trying to be in a position with my squad where I can start selling the stars and replacing them with the youth players. Problem is, my youth talents are mainly wingers and I don't play with wingers. 

do they have any "yellow"?

As in retrainable positions? Half the time, an ML or MR make a good AMR or AML. They might just be playing at 15/20 of their ability at best... but if they turn out good that's still considerable. 

18 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Affiliates –

Facilities.

Detail incoming!

Ok that’s yer lot.

Two final thoughts.

Finally -

Jeeeeeeeeeezus - that took some reading, and kudos to you for taking the time to share all that and type it all out! I'd buy you a beer or a J2O for that without flinching. My first game was Luton Town... got them promoted and won Checkertrade Trophy in first season (okay, my very first dib, I was sacked in October so started again). I had them on course for promotion from League 1 (which they did, but got relegated immediately back from Championship) in second season and in FA Cup 4th round when I got the Leeds job. Steered them to promotion through play offs. Joined Villa January 2019.

At the start of my Luton game, I got Villa as my affiliate - so I am still sending two players a season there, amongst others.

You put a lot of detail in the tweaks required in your system. My formation is largely this -

GK - doing his GK stuff. Never played a sweeper keeper.

DC - DC- DC (yep, three at the back)

DM (currently I have a player who is full green as Regista and support)

CM - box to box

CM - ball winning MF support

AMR (winger support)

AML (winger support, but rotate with Grealish as inside forward - 15m buy back from Burnley in July 2019)

AMC - support (I have two regens rotating in there with 4 stars... wonderkids)

Complete Forward - Attack... rotated with a Poacher (regen wonderkid) - Attack.

Depending on the strength of my oppo, I will leave the AMC out and put a third box to box CM in. And sometimes, if I expect a big win, I'll take out the DM and put the third CM in, along with my preferred front four.

I have started chasing the game with ATTACK if I go a goal behind or haven't scored when I really really need to win. I have my team playing possession football.

I have historically found Tottenham, Man Utd and Arsenal to be quite 'overpowered.' But I'm getting there.

• Like 1

Â