PieFacE

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

And yet Wenger still thinks he's doing a great job and was going to stay on. The mind boggles. 

Don't criticise Wenger, now he is leaving we are not allowed. It's all those damn players fault, they have let him down big time, he's a legend of the game, it's a disgrace etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc...etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc..etc..etc...etc...etc

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Yep, Liam Brady (former Arsenal youth team director) confirmed it on Irish TV. He was forced out (sacked) by the owner, he didn't resign.

I was under the impression the decision to leave was his, but it was the timing of the announcement that "wasn't his decision"

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I was under the impression the decision to leave was his, but it was the timing of the announcement that "wasn't his decision"

According to Brady that wasn't the case, he was forced out. I would suggest that it suits all parties for it to seem like Wenger is leaving of his own accord...

and that they were right to sack him.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit similar to Benitez, good record but tends to do better in cup competitions than over a league campaign.

Won three successive europa leagues at Sevilla which was certainly a very good achievement and that is Arsenal's level at the minute.

In many ways did very well with Sevilla and he did a good job at Almeria for what that's worth. Never rated him at Valencia and whilst he has won the domestic treble with PSG that's hardly any achievement at all whatsoever given their resources, they looked total shite in the Champions League. No idea how this will go but wouldn't be surprised if they're looking for a new manager for the following season.

think the arsenal rebuild is a very different job to what PSG is

3/4 months a go my first suggestion for the arsenal rebuild would be "get draxler" but now its tuchel at PSG who might use him and emery who didnt use him now at arsenal so i dont see it

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i dont think they are buying a world class holding midfielder, they're too rare and too much of a commodity, developing one maybe, scouting the next kante maybe

I dont think he has to be a world class midfielder, a mobile player in the mould of Jedinak for example would be what Arsenal need

55 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In many ways did very well with Sevilla and he did a good job at Almeria for what that's worth. Never rated him at Valencia and whilst he has won the domestic treble with PSG that's hardly any achievement at all whatsoever given their resources, they looked total shite in the Champions League. No idea how this will go but wouldn't be surprised if they're looking for a new manager for the following season.

He actually finished 3rd twice at Valencia so much higher than Sevilla where he didn't finish top four in any of his seasons. They also sold David Villa and Silva around that time.

Not saying he's amazing but think this is a decent pick up for Arsenal. Arteta would've been too much of a gamble straight after Wenger imo.

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Steven N'Zonzi?

Sevilla connection...

Could do much worse. He's improved a lot from when he was at Stoke when he was a decent but unspectacular midfield player. Played very well for Sevilla last two years and made France WC squad.

Arsenal certainly need better organisation at the back. Look at the two goals they conceded against Atletico, so much wrong with them.

47 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Then they  need two centre halves and a keeper. 

And someone to coach theses three. Since Sczesny left, he has been much more solid and was eventually chosen as Buffon's replacement at Juve. 

10 hours ago, sne said:

Steven N'Zonzi?

Sevilla connection...

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not a bad shout actually. Better than all the midfielders they have, and in the mould they need. 

I thought his rebirth was achieved as a defender though.

Emery is less of a risk than Arteta. In reality though someone like Conté or Simeone would have been ideal but the director of football/scouting team won't want any manager who will stand up to them. They want someone who will be the fall guy if things go wrong so that they keep their jobs.

Â