PieFacE

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The gulf in class is down to Wenger.

He should have gone 4 years ago.

Pretty much, they have massive resources and loads of money but he chooses not to spend it properly. Arsenal have not had a consistently good 'spine' since they last won the title. If you look at their team now lack top quality up in central striking positions, central midfield and central defence. Which is why they are getting turned over so heavily whenever they play proper teams. They get overpowered, exposed for being weak and exposed for a lack of quality in the areas I just mentioned. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The gulf in class is down to Wenger.

He should have gone 4 years ago.

I agree but they are the opposite to us and I know the expectations at arsenal are far greater than they are at villa but I wish we were where they are. I think he is a bit too old now. He qualifies for a pension. The best managers are in their 40s or early 50s. Fergy was an exception. He has fallen behind Pep and Klopp is football thinking

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I remember saying earlier in this thread (probably near the front two pages) that Arsenal should go all out to try and sign Vidal when he was at Juve. I was greeted with a graphic stating how according to the stats he isn't much better than Coquelin. This is why using stats in football to compare players or teams is largely pointless, Vidal would be perfect for Arsenal. But nope, they've stuck with Coquelin who just isn't that good.

Arsenal are a joke. 

Its all relative isn't it but they are not as big a joke as us.

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I remember saying earlier in this thread (probably near the front two pages) that Arsenal should go all out to try and sign Vidal when he was at Juve. I was greeted with a graphic stating how according to the stats he isn't much better than Coquelin. This is why using stats in football to compare players or teams is largely pointless, Vidal would be perfect for Arsenal. But nope, they've stuck with Coquelin who just isn't that good.

Arsenal are a joke. 

Yep, the eye ball test is often better than statistical test in this game. But then the statos never really dig deep into the stats and control for doing it in the big, important games. 

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree but they are the opposite to us and I know the expectations at arsenal are far greater than they are at villa but I wish we were where they are. I think he is a bit too old now. He qualifies for a pension. The best managers are in their 40s or early 50s. Fergy was an exception. He has fallen behind Pep and Klopp is football thinking

I don't think it's about age so much as arrogance.

For the price they paid I think Ozil has been pretty poor. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd hope they would sell him rather than renew his contract for the 250k a week that he is supposedly after.

In the big games when it matters the most such as yesterday he goes missing far too often and his workrate is pretty poor so almost becomes a liability.

I think Sanchez is as good as gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Totally agree, plus they are mentally weak.

Its all down to Wenger, he just spunks money on players that make no impact.

...and gives them contracts well beyond what anybody else would...and keeps them on for an eternity. Hasn't Mertesacker been given a new deal? 80k a week maybe. How long did he keep Diaby around for, Arteta, Rosicky, Gibbs, Denilson a few years back, Chamakh and many others I cannot think off the top of my head.

Scandalous.

Coquelin must be on the best part of 60,000 a week now. Who is going to match that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Coquelin must be on the best part of 60,000 a week now. Who is going to match that?

Jenkinson is the other one. Palace couldn't match his wages last month and he is seemingly happy not playing football and collecting his wage at Arsenal. Sums up what is wrong with football. Palace actually offered him a decent wage for his ability but he obviously thinks he is better so..

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Jenkinson is the other one. Palace couldn't match his wages last month and he is seemingly happy not playing football and collecting his wage at Arsenal. Sums up what is wrong with football. Palace actually offered him a decent wage for his ability but he obviously thinks he is better so..

I forgot Sanogo and Flamini are the other two that now spring to mind. They sign average players, who perform average, then reward them for their average displays by giving them staggering deals  and just keep them around for an eternity. For what? Why? Are they 'triffic lads or something? All I see is losers. This current bunch will be the same if Wenger stays on for another 5 years.

The funny thing is, he ends up keeping the ones no-one else wants to steal.  If you're any good you end up at Milan (Flamini), Barça (Hleb, Fabregas, Song, Vermaelen), Man City (Toure, Clichy, Adebayor, Nasri) or Man Utd (RVP).

The fatal flaw in his nursery-style project is that while they're maturing and, by definition, not winning anything while they wait, the ones who are ready to win and who are not willing to wait any longer end up buggering off to pastures new, and Arsenal take 2 steps back and start again. Rinse and repeat.  They never get to where they're going, but Wenger gets the credit for developing players - for other clubs.  And the balance sheet remains healthy.

• Like 1

Arsenal have committed £70million to secure the futures of Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kieran Gibbs, Aaron Ramsey and Carl Jenkinson, who have all signed new five-year deals.

The improved contracts mean Wilshere’s pay goes from £50,000 to £80,000 a week, Oxlade-Chamberlain’s has trebled to £60,000 a week and Gibbs
has had a rise of £10,000 a week to around £50,000 a week. It is believed Ramsey now earns £60,000 a week while Jenkinson will earn about £35,000 a week, an increase of £15,000.

Nobody wants these players, they are shit.

Wenger should have gone a few years ago. Far too stubborn to win anything. I said a few years ago, he'd be perfect for England. He would develop players and get us with a good style of football.

Koeman should be favourite (although I see talks of him replacing Enrique at Barca), Tuchel linked as well.

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Nobody wants these players, they are shit.

Arsenal's problem is that those players are not at the level Arsenal want to be playing at.  Other than Aaron Ramsey, they are either squad players, or players who can't be relied upon because of injury.

To quote Roy Keane "when Keiran Gibbs is wearing the captain's armband then you know you're in trouble".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

For the price they paid I think Ozil has been pretty poor.

All because he delayed on stumping up an extra few quid for Higuain. Not to worry, they wouldn't have needed his 112 goals in the past 3 and a half years anyway.

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

nah m8. best #10 in the world. 89 rated on fifa with 86 passing.

Off topic, but at the Villa last Saturday the guy next to me said to his son "That Hogan is quick, isn't he?"

And his son replied with

"yeah Dad... 90 Pace!"

• Like 4

Â