PieFacE

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I get that Wenger wants to play a sort-of 3-4-3 and I understand that they have defensive injuries... but he can't seriously expect THAT defence to work well against a really good counter-attacking side, can he?!  Switch to 4 at the back, play 2 proper centre backs.  This has been a mess.

Worked well enough in the cup final against Costa and Hazard.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Swiss Westwood, sideways passing cowardly tackles offers **** all

I think he's pretty decent tbh - ticks things over nicely.  Couple of assists here too?

But yeah, does **** all otherwise.

Just now, bobzy said:

I thought Kolasinac only joined this season.

Holding, Monreal, Bellerin and Ox worked well enough in the cup final. Kolasinac actually looked good in pre season.

With all those young playes though you need a vocal leader who can tell players when to hold their positions so Mertasacker is needed for that. It's the same with Man.City when Kompany is frequently injured as Stones and Otamendi are clueless positionally.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Holding, Monreal, Bellerin and Ox worked well enough in the cup final. Kolasinac actually looked good in pre season.

With all those young playes though you need a vocal leader who can tell players when to hold their positions so Mertasacker is needed for that. It's the same with Man.City when Kompany is frequently injured as Stones and Otamendi are clueless positionally.

Yes, agreed.  Hence saying about playing with centre backs (Mertesacker) rather than left backs (Kolasinac) when short of defensive players.  They've won here, so it doesn't particularly matter, but... messy.

Kolasinac will turn out to be one of the best signings in the league this season.

On a free and was excellent for Schalke pretty much every time a watched them.

His work rate is silly and he's quality overall.

Shame that as I can't stand Arsenal.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Kolasinac will turn out to be one of the best signings in the league this season.

Must admit, thought he looked pretty suspect defensively, but that's most likely down to Wenger's hideous tactics. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Must admit, thought he looked pretty suspect defensively, but that's most likely down to Wenger's hideous tactics. 

I didn't see the game but I suspect you are right considering they shipped 3 in :D

Did they play with a back 3 or 4?

21 minutes ago, sne said:

I didn't see the game but I suspect you are right considering they shipped 3 in :D

Did they play with a back 3 or 4?

3, and he was playing along side Monreal and Holding. Bellerin and Ox wing backs.

Thought he looked very impressive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

3, and he was playing along side Monreal and Holding. Bellerin and Ox wing backs.

Thought he looked very impressive.

Nice.

Sure there will be defensive issues before they get used to the formation, but it's an interesting formation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

he had a brilliant game in World Cup vs Messi few years ago when he just 20 i think

Arsenal played it loads end of last season and looked decent. As I said last night they need an organiser in there otherwise players will get pulled out of position far too easily.

Let's not forget Leicester are also a nightmare match up for any team that parks their defence close to the halfway line. Remember the damage they caused Man. City last season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â