PieFacE

Looking good in the Charity Shield game. Though, Chelsea dont look quite ready for it at the minute.

Can Arsenal win the league this year now they've signed Cech?

Not convinced myself, but they are looking good.

Nope. Cech is an improvement but they've not improved enough to close the gap and they still have the other weaknesses that have been their downfall in recent seasons.

They really should have signed Benteke I will never ever understand why they didn't.

• Like 1

Goals shouldn't be a problem though....

Alexis 20 goals + no problem at all.

Giroud always gets 15 no problem despite his defiencies in the bigger games.

Walcott will get 10 seeing as he's played through the middle now and will rotate with Giroud.

Welbeck will probably scrape about 5.

And they'll chip in with goals from central midfield....Ozil, Cazorla and the Ox.

They're in far better shape than this time last season and at the back again I'd say they've got a better unit than what Man. United have currently.

Nope. Cech is an improvement but they've not improved enough to close the gap and they still have the other weaknesses that have been their downfall in recent seasons.

They really should have signed Benteke I will never ever understand why they didn't.

Guess 32m is a lot of money for a backup striker. Don't think he'd replace Giroud. However, it could be the difference between them winning the league and not so it would be worth it.

Yes thats true Chris but the question has always been asked about whether Giroud is good enough. They could probably do with a world class defensive midfield player but Coquelin has done well there. They signed Gabriel from Villareal last season. He hasn't featured much but I think he's a very good cb. Yes I do think its their year!

Yes thats true Chris but the question has always been asked about whether Giroud is good enough. They could probably do with a world class defensive midfield player but Coquelin has done well there. They signed Gabriel from Villareal last season. He hasn't featured much but I think he's a very good cb. Yes I do think its their year!

I think not getting another DM could well be their undoing.

Cocquelin is a great fit but he's not elite like say Matic and if he gets injured the alternatives are what Wilshere and Arteta, not convinced by that at all in the bigger games.

CB is getting overplayed...they had a better defence than Man. United last year with poorer keepers so if people are typing with straight faces Man. United will challenge for the league, Arsenal certainly will.

I would be surprised.

Injuries will play a big part aswell, Arsenal and Man. United always seem to have a tonne out at some stage of the season.

Last season Chelsea barely had any....Terry played all 38 games incredibly,Cahill only missed games when he was dropped, Fabregas and Matic only missed games when suspended, I'd love to know their training routines as it certainly works for them.

Need to keep Costa fit as they looked pretty toothless without him today.

Guess 32m is a lot of money for a backup striker. Don't think he'd replace Giroud.

*confused face*

At the moment? Benzema by a good distance. 

Benteke will get better and better though 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Benzema's a flat track bully. 

Scores his goals against Honduras and pub teams in La Liga, AWOL in quarter finals v Germany. I saw both games against Atletico in the CL and his touch was horrendous in both games, I think he's overrated personally and same level as say a Cavani.

He also spent Euro 2012 trying to be some midfield playmaker.

Benteke hasn't had the opportunity yet in major tournaments or CL so unfair judgement. 

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Interesting question presumably you mean who would be the best for Arsenal as its in this thread?

I think Benzema would be the better fit for their style. Benteke has great technique which most outside of Villa fans don't seem to credit him for however his quick one touch and close passing can sometimes be a little loose and that would be shown up with Arsenal certainly more than Karim.

Obviously Tekkers gives you a plan B which arguably Arsenal lack and need to get them through games where the pass to death strategy fails.

I would say Benzema is far more clinical at this point and more proven at the highest level (ie CL and crunch games in title).

However you never know how players are going to translate in the PL and CB has proven success against these defences.

That reduced risk and higher future potential would mean I would edge towards CB as being the "better buy for Arsenal" in this hypothetical game.

Edited by villaglint

Arsenal wont win the league, cech alone will not stop them losing points against teams like us, stoke & west ham.

Go toe to toe with arsenal and they will rip you apart (like the cup final) but they are weak at the back and they have 'off' days to often to win the league.

Arsenal wont win the league, cech alone will not stop them losing points against teams like us, stoke & west ham.

Go toe to toe with arsenal and they will rip you apart (like the cup final) but they are weak at the back and they have 'off' days to often to win the league.

That's true but the question of whether they will win the league is dependent on them changing to a better and more focused team.

Â