The problem of the great window

Mic09

I'd say Chester, elphick, amavi, ayew, McCormack could all be decent/good players in a side trying to avoid relegation, kodija, grealish, adomah, tishi and gollini all have the potential for the premier league but a lot of it depends on how they do this season which  will determine if they get their chance. All we need to do is add little bits of class each window and we will find ourselves progressing, I for one am extremely excited about our future. 

• Like 3

The OP presents a valid question, but I personally think what we've brought in, coupled with the normal summer deals you would expect next year would be enough.  In other words we have the foundations of a decent Premier League side now, and if it finds itself in the Premier League next season then it will have shown at the very least that it can play as a team.

Of the players we've brought in, 5 of them have Premier League experience.

Jedinak, Elphick, Chester, Adomah & de Laet.

Maybe not world beaters, but perfectly capable of doing a job.

Of the other 4, Gollini, Kodjia, McCormack and Tshibola, in a scenario where we have been promoted, we can assume the 'keeper won't have been a disaster otherwise you don't go up, and I have no qualms about McCormack and Tshibola.  In fact didn't we beat some Premier League sides to their signatures this summer?  With Kodjia it remains to be seen how he does this season because it's not impossible that we get promoted and one of our forwards doesn't chip in as much.

As for the rest.  The likes of Grealish, Amavi & Ayew?  No concerns here at all and particular with the first 2 I think we'll be going up with much better Grealishs and Amavis than we came down with.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

When RDM was hired didn't Tony or someone mention they were impressed with him particularly because of how he set out plans that he intended to build three teams, one for promotion, one to stay in the PL and one to push for Europe? I vaguely remember that, anyone else?

I remember that too and it does indeed sound like a fine plan!

i said something similar to this a few days ago, the £50m spent was clearly just to get us up, this team might just get us back in the premier league, but it wont take us any further, so it will need another £50m spent on it.

but this is still a business at the end of the day, and no businessman is going to run at a loss, id expect tony to look at other avenues once were promoted, maybe a feeder club in china, a few chinese players in our acadamy, maybe in the first team also (although cant name any at the moment) merchandise sale to increase with shirts sold globally and not just from a little store behind the north stand, who knows what tony has planned to increase revenue, what we do know is that he will have to spend alot of money on this club.

the above paragraph may have gone of tandum alittle, but its necessary to spent more on the first team.

and tone, please rebuild the north stand!

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Somebody should tweet this question to the good Doctor.

You are only going to get one answer though, he is hardly going to tweet "we hired sherpa only 4 the ascent not glory at the summit".

i think these guys will be good enough for Villa, and ultimately may figure as more of a squad player as new blood is brought in, but despite the willingness to pay what was needed now, we are not going to see 7 PL standard players arrive if we get promoted, that would cost £200m at current prices. 

Its a squad game and the players we have bought have improved our squad significantly.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BOF said:

The OP presents a valid question, but I personally think what we've brought in, coupled with the normal summer deals you would expect next year would be enough.  In other words we have the foundations of a decent Premier League side now, and if it finds itself in the Premier League next season then it will have shown at the very least that it can play as a team.

Of the players we've brought in, 5 of them have Premier League experience.

Jedinak, Elphick, Chester, Adomah & de Laet.

Maybe not world beaters, but perfectly capable of doing a job.

That's a bit of a stretch! Adomah has Premier League experience from this season only - so maybe 2 games? Likewise Elphick played, what, 10 games for Bournemouth in the Prem?

Further, these players have made the step down for a reason IMO. Jedinak in particular is coming toward the end of his career and has never been a great player anyway. We shouldn't be relying on him, for example, if we got promoted. 

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

You are only going to get one answer though, he is hardly going to tweet "we hired sherpa only 4 the ascent not glory at the summit".

Brave man who predicts Dr T's tweets! 

You may be surprised by what he would answer - I've often been gobsmacked at his tweets.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, the really difficult transition would be from Championship to Premier League. If RDM manages to create a side that plays together really well, so that individuals perform above expectations ( in a sort of reverse of last season where some individuals played well below expectations because the team overall was so poor) then there will be a real issue about whether to give them a go in the premier league with a few enhancements or start to build a premier strength team from scratch the first summer. 

However, I am just about to go and reread my dictionary entry for "hubris"... :) 

It's s bridge I'd be happy for us to cross n the next two seasons but we have a lot to do to get anywhere near facing that dilemma.

I said at the end of last season we will need a player turnaround of at least 10/15 players and at least a couple of seasons to bed in the new management regime system to rebuild.

We actually had a turnround of 25 players so for me it's still in the inception phase of rebuilding the project. 

Handback to the Premier League is not in the programme for phase one.

• Like 1

If we get promoted and those players aren't good enough for us we can always sell them to other teams who are trying to get promoted. They'll be proven Championship players who get promoted so will be demand. We will also have the benefit if £100m to soften any blow of selling them for less than we paid. This summer showed how easy you can make it to overhaul a squad if you've got the right people pulling the strings. For me though let's forget about next season and concentrate on getting up. Then we can worry who's good enough. Kodija could be a top quality PL striker lets get there and find out. 

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The problem with the great window is you won't know whether it's great for several months. 

Exactly - definitely one for a re-visit. I think there is ample evidence in the past few seasons to support that teams being promoted have a solid base in which to compete and stay up. The Premier League has had some serious hangers on in recent times (us being one of them). I believe there are still a few left. 

A cliché, but for the first time in a long while I am feeling excited and positive about this season. If we can unearth a gem in players like Tshibola or Kodija whilst getting the best out of raw talent like Grealish, all of which can perform week in week out in the Premier League, we have a solid foundation. At this stage though, there is still a lot to be proven to us fans and everybody else so judgment has to be reserved. 

I think out of our 1st 11ers

gollini RDL Chester Elphick Baker Ally Amavi Bacuna Jedinak Tshibola Adomah Ayew Grealish McScore Kodjia

we have a team that should/could beat most Ch teams

injuries & suspensions could find us out playing Sat Wed Sat Wed a fee weeks running

So as a squad I think its tough to expect top 6

Dr X has proved one thing, money is not an concern, and even if we are only in with slight chance of the playoffs by Xmas (which imho we should be) he will go all out in the Jan window to get in who is needed whatever the cost.

He's already stated that he knows of AfCONs consequences and will buy/loan to cover.

Dr X is going for it and I really hope we go up. If not it'll be harder with 3 moneypowered PL clubs coming down next season. He'll want to compete and no doubt he will imho.

If we dont go up within 2 yrs I really dont know where that will leave us Playerwise manager and financially (ffp). More importantly Dr X POV at that moment in time.

If we are in PL in due time, I can image Dr X going for it financially again. My only concern is how long will he tollerate "failure" ( no promotion to PL or Promotion->Relegation back to Ch) till he says "Ok, fail, sell or let it run its own course"

Apparently we had a £1million loan deal until end of the season for Jordan Rhodes rejected by Middlesbrough on Transfer Deadline Day as they wanted more.

Maybe we may go back in for him in Jan or maybe not :)

Edited by Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

Apparently we had a £1million loan deal until end of the season for Jordan Rhodes rejected by Middlesbrough on Transfer Deadline Day as they wanted more.

Maybe we may go back in for him in Jan or maybe not :)

i'm guessing loan in January to cover AFCON and second half of season push

• Like 3

Just now, Richard said:

i'm guessing loan in January to cover AFCON and second half of season push

i'm not Rhodes biggest fan but would probably be a very good player if we signed him perm or on loan.

Certainly can fill in from January onwards and our strike force potentially from Feb would scare teams to death in Championship

There's always the hope that most surprise us by gelling together and in time advancing as the club does. Not a fabled utopia but a unit that you wouldn't want to disintegrate too much, just add a few sprinklings of quality here and there to bolster the first XI. Imagine if we have spent best part of 15m for Kodjia in this division, the fees we will pay for prospects if we were to go up, and backed with our technical director having a proactive ability to source the best of those prospects available and who want to come, I look forward to those days. 

A lot can be achieved having a solid team that is united but isn't the most skilful I mean look at Leicester or us under o Neill even. I'm not saying we will be capable of winning the league but I'd hope for these boys to click together, develop a communal ethic, stick by it and then establish that as our proven ethos. If or not we go up this year is one thing, but another is, that along the way:

- we see good entertainment from positive attacking play

- we see our players above give their all and actually care

- that as mentioned above, they act as a unit, not individuals. They came here, they bought into this, time to fulfill that. 

There could be many bullet points added there but take those three, a team albeit in the Championship got up, could replicate that in the Premier League. It is possible to punch above weight in the Premier League. You look at some of the teams in the top division, they are content to just be there. Teams like Sunderland, Swansea, no offence to them, but what are they known for... Will they ever advance to being consistent top half performers or Europe chasers... 

Life we got up, we seem to have a plan. Gone are the days of us settling year after year of flirting with the drop, taking the nice tv money. The club has restored ambition and yes we have to get out of this division first, but if we did I think that by then, some of our buys will be first X1 'ers in the Prem too. Part of me thinks that say Kodjia at 15m isn't just for this division, that he has potential to step up, find that next level. Players like Vardy came from lower divisions, they stepped up. Maybe some of ours will. That is my hope.

agreed, as many have said, there will be reinforcements come but I can see some of our lads really take off. For instance, I could potentially see our back four being a Premier League back four for us. I won't be presumptious to expect promotion. We could have a team of World X1 galacticos play for us and that wouldn't guarantee us promotion. Expectancy is one thing but realism is another. They will at some point start firing on all cylinders I am sure of this and hopefully that will be enough to see us secure enough points for promotion automatically. I hope this gelling period is minimal. We have had the international break, lots of opportunities for bonding and team building off pitch. Then comes Forest at home. This could be the start, of us grinding out results, earning points and gaining consistency. This could be the dawn of our hoped new era where these boys gel as a mostly go-to first X1. 

And if some don't cut it, so long as they gave all and didn't act like Lescott et al, we can recover a similar fee for them or something close to that. Tishbola etc. Then sure why not, lets snap up a fit rejuvenated Wilshire after a Bournemouth spell for example and keep the squad fresh and competitive, and premier league expansive. 

It's going to be a good year lads. The club has a plan, the owner and staff cares. The fans have a buzz about them and I hope this seeps through to our players, bolstered with more leaders, players with proven determination regardless of some of them being Championship by reputation. It could take us far. We could be seeing these players in claret and blue for some seasons to come. UTV. 

Edit- in reading this back, I guess I'm an optimist now then. Years of BS and doom n gloom hopefully gone. U T ------- villa!:wub:

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1