The problem of the great window

Mic09

I would like to start a topic that I don't think has been discussed in much depth, however one that needs serious attention when considering how successful this transfer window was.

I am over the moon with our summer activity and the people we have brought in, however I have one 'devil's advocate' question which has been bugging me for the last few days:

IF we get promoted this season, are we going to sell players like Chester, Jedinak, Kodjia because they will not be able to compete at the top 10 PL level? Or are they just going to be in reserves and eating up our wage budget for the next 3/4 years?

Xia showed some serious intention with these transfers, however I don't think any of the players that have been brought in can individually take us where the good Doctor wants to be.

Unless of course, we create a real team and do a Leicester, but don't you think this is highly unlikely?

Our immediate goal has to be promotion and we appear to have signed players specifically for that task. I don't imagine we have given players older than 30 long term deals, and the younger one's shoudl be motivated by having another crack at proving they can be first team material in the Premier League. That will obviously not be acheivable for all of them but they are professional footballers and IF we win promotion this season they will be aware that we will have to strengthen again to stay there before we contemplate strenghtening again to break the top 10. 

Looooong road ahead, first things first, let's hope they are good enough to get us up before we worry about hurting their feelings in the premier league by having to buy better players.

• Like 1

You will know immediately how serious Tony is with his claims. If we mainly stick and try to find a couple of half decent PL players to supplement them I suspect it was all BS and the aim is just to become a well run self sufficient middle of the road PL outfit. Mind you nothing wrong with that,  it's what I would have been delighted with over the last few years. 

If however we spend a load and have a wholesale change again I will think he is genuine in his claims and we are on the start of a very exciting journey. 

Mind you,  need to get there first! 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

You will know immediately how serious Tony is with his claims. If we mainly stick and try to find a couple of half decent PL players to supplement them I suspect it was all BS and the aim is just to become a well run self sufficient middle of the road PL outfit. Mind you nothing wrong with that,  it's what I would have been delighted with over the last few years. 

If however we spend a load and have a wholesale change again I will think he is genuine in his claims and we are on the start of a very exciting journey. 

Mind you,  need to get there first! 

We won't go mad, the first year if we are promoted. You survive first and then it becomes a bit more of a long term project. 

Too many changes and we could find ourselves relegated again. 

The here and now is promotion and that's all that matters at this point

• Like 1

I said something like this few weeks ago and people said fundamental goal is promotion which is 100% true but yes it will be a major concern if we did go up and then we had difficulty selling players.

But i for one think if they are good enough to get us up their will be interest in them

First things first - let's get up.

But on that assumption, we will have many players that have achieved multiple promotions and given the cash from parachute payments, the clubs we replace will pay significantly for that experience if / when we need to upgrade.

I imagine some will make the step up, some will stay as back up and others will move on. If we go back up first time it means we haven't go too many turkeys to shift. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to RDM creating a TEAM out of this lot. A solid, unified, core would do wonders if we are promoted or not. 

As a result, I wouldn't expect us to make too many punt-type signings if we go up. This window was a matter of performing drastic surgery in getting rid of a number of halfwits and arseholes. Subsequent ones will be more targeted around individuals. 

• Like 1

When RDM was hired didn't Tony or someone mention they were impressed with him particularly because of how he set out plans that he intended to build three teams, one for promotion, one to stay in the PL and one to push for Europe? I vaguely remember that, anyone else?

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

When RDM was hired didn't Tony or someone mention they were impressed with him particularly because of how he set out plans that he intended to build three teams, one for promotion, one to stay in the PL and one to push for Europe? I vaguely remember that, anyone else?

Only 'push for Europe?' You spoilt my Friday lol...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mic09 said:

IF we get promoted this season, are we going to sell players like Chester, Jedinak, Kodjia

I personally think Chester is solid enough to compete in a mid-table PL team at the least. Jedinak will probably go after one or two seasons due to his age anyway, regardless of ability, and we'll have to wait and see how Kodjia competes in the PL

It's a decent point and one which concerned me but perhaps for a slightly different reason.  Not that we wouldn't be able to sell the players as I think we would.  I think we'd be able sell at a loss actually and the loss would be taken as investment to get promoted.

No my worry was that we wouldn't want to sell.  That the investment made so far would not be replicated as it would be seen as a one time only investment to kick start the club.  But that is a wait and see worry.  For now we have spent an awful lot but was needed and no doubt at some point this team will get us promoted

14 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I thought that was Moyes, though it's probable that Di Matteo did as well.  Any manager with an ounce of common sense would have produced a similar plan of building teams for each stage.  It's nice having the money to do it as well.

if we were promoted we could add 4 or 5 players of higher quality and sell players from this squad. if they are from a successfull squad then they should be snapped up mabye not even at too much of a loss.get for exapmle 3o million back from 4 or 5 players and buy some with our new wealth from sky deals etc. push on from there

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought that was Moyes, though it's probable that Di Matteo did as well.  Any manager with an ounce of common sense would have produced a similar plan of building teams for each stage.  It's nice having the money to do it as well.

Ah, you could be right, perhaps that's was Moyes, aka Gollum made flesh.

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

But i for one think if they are good enough to get us up their will be interest in them

This but also it's important to point out that because these are championship players their wages aren't lescott or Gabby levels. It's wages and contracts that stop players from moving. None of the players we signed would be hard to move on if needed, and alot of them would be good squad players.

15 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We won't go mad, the first year if we are promoted. You survive first and then it becomes a bit more of a long term project. 

Too many changes and we could find ourselves relegated again. 

The here and now is promotion and that's all that matters at this point

Interesting, and probably correct, but we've gone "mad" now with huge changes to push for promotion.  Why would the same be damaging rather than uplifting in the Premier League?  Is it a strategy that can only work in the Championship?

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interesting, and probably correct, but we've gone "mad" now with huge changes to push for promotion.  Why would the same be damaging rather than uplifting in the Premier League?  Is it a strategy that can only work in the Championship?

I think it's easier to go mad buying proven quality at this level. As a newly promoted team I'm not sure it will be as easy. 

Also the situation we found ourselves in left us no choice but to ship out loads of players and bring in nearly a new starting 11.

Promotion will mean that things have gone well and are on the up so we won't be in a position where we have to replace most of the squad who are disruptive or hated by the fans.