Where do you think we will finish?

Demitri_C

Where will we Finish?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Now our summer business is over where do you think we will finish?

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I think we will click and the goals will come, just like Benteke's start for villa, slow then BOOM!

With the evident commitment and investment we should walk to promotion but that is not being disrespectful, this is a very different league to the PL, and is very competitive in the top half, but we are one of two teams that are like Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea in this league - we can spend to ensure we have the best in the league (don't mention Chelsea and Man Utd last season!).

The rest is down to RDM and his staff, there in lies the question, but so far I am confident, other than the Bristol game we have been unlucky and should be 4-6 points better off than we are. We are still not far away in terms of points, with a long season ahead and much added quality in the window. We should and I expect to finish top 2, but I suspect play-offs.

did Benteke not score with his first touch for Villa after coming on as a sub?

or is the Mandela effect kicking in?

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

So 17th/18th?

Not a chance. Tony simply won't let it happen.

I get the impression that he would put on his boots if things were that dire, such is his determination to succeed. 

On 06/09/2016 at 09:58, tonyh29 said:

Champions or RDM should walk / be fired

Harsh  ? no not really  ... with the money spent there can be no excuses  and I doubt Dr T will be that understanding either

Not a chance in hell. I doubt he is going to expect us to go from the worst team ever to play in the Premier League in its history, to league Champions in one season.  Nobody would expect that because that would be ridiculous. 

If he doesn't get top 10 though, he will be sacked I'd say 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

If he doesn't get top 10 though, he will be sacked I'd say 

If RDM does get top 10... like 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th... he will also be sacked.

Xia will expect promotion this season, and he'll be expecting us to be in the chasing pack (ie: top 6) by Christmas.

He has already said we'll be buying/loaning more players in January. He'll be expecting those extra players will give us the final push to take a top 2 position.

I'm not so sure. I think so long as the club was definitely making consistent progress and gave a thrilling ride but missed out on promotion I'd say his job would be safe but yes, tenth ish or below I think he would be in trouble. I'm sure I read somewhere that their plan was a two year project at getting back up. Whether or not that remains the status quo later in the season depends on progress as quickly as possible. 

When you look at it, just the three tickets available out of the division and some capable looking teams, even wild cards like Huddersfield etc. No pressure then. But I think RDM would be safe unless pressure built and Tony saw the fans turning on RDM. 

Look in the past, when comes the point you see banners up like McLeish out, Lambert out, randy wasn't interested. Difference is, this time around, Tony seems switched on to in a way, checking the pulse of the consensus of fans and would be more ruthless as business man I'm sure than randy ever was. I'm not saying he would sack RDM if a banner went up, but he does seem to take on board fan opinion more than randy ever did. And so long as the fans were happy with RDM say if we missed out on the playoffs but we were happy with the ride along the way, and knew that in season 2 we looked strong to be automatic promotion chasers, I think he would stick and see it out, then act quicker if a bad start. All just speculation from me, opinion. Plus any new manager would know Tony has a big pool of money and would want their own 50m kitty probably and risk much of the same, not be a club in continuous transition to find a starting eleven bedding in new players. 

Part of me thinks we will be in the Championship next year, but much much stronger and possibly favourites to go up, not whoever big comes down this season. I hope I'm wrong and we go up of course. 

I voted playoffs in the thread vote and hope the team prove me wrong

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I'm not so sure. I think so long as the club was definitely making consistent progress and gave a thrilling ride but missed out on promotion I'd say his job would be safe but yes, tenth ish or below I think he would be in trouble. I'm sure I read somewhere that their plan was a two year project at getting back up. Whether or not that remains the status quo later in the season depends on progress as quickly as possible. 

When you look at it, just the three tickets available out of the division and some capable looking teams, even wild cards like Huddersfield etc. No pressure then. But I think RDM would be safe unless pressure built and Tony saw the fans turning on RDM. 

Look in the past, when comes the point you see banners up like McLeish out, Lambert out, randy wasn't interested. Difference is, this time around, Tony seems switched on to in a way, checking the pulse of the consensus of fans and would be more ruthless as business man I'm sure than randy ever was. I'm not saying he would sack RDM if a banner went up, but he does seem to take on board fan opinion more than randy ever did. And so long as the fans were happy with RDM say if we missed out on the playoffs but we were happy with the ride along the way, and knew that in season 2 we looked strong to be automatic promotion chasers, I think he would stick and see it out, then act quicker if a bad start. All just speculation from me, opinion. Plus any new manager would know Tony has a big pool of money and would want their own 50m kitty probably and risk much of the same, not be a club in continuous transition to find a starting eleven bedding in new players. 

Part of me thinks we will be in the Championship next year, but much much stronger and possibly favourites to go up, not whoever big comes down this season. I hope I'm wrong and we go up of course. 

I voted playoffs in the thread vote and hope the team prove me wrong

I think they are covering themselves by saying two years, they dont want to get fans hopes up and not deliver. I think we are good enough to  win the league on paper, but unfortunately does not work like that as we know. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2016 at 15:19, Demitri_C said:

I think we are good enough to win the league on paper

I think that is crazy talk. In no universe is this squad good enough to win this league on paper, on the pitch, or anywhere else. Our back up midfield are atrocious and, since our 1st choice are injured, that is a real problem. Our defensive cover is Baker, Hutton, Cissokho and erm..... I won't even mention our goalkeeper. 

I think our 1st choice 11 could maybe finish in the top 8 but as a squad I'd say we are about a mid table side. League winners? Not a chance.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

i don't think centre midfield is strong enough to go up this season....There is a question mark over the fitness/ form of Jedinak, who I was looking at as an important player for us.

Gardner and westood are not strong enough for me and Tshibola I am unsure about.

I am looking for a driving force in there.....and to date I don't see it.

ps Its still early and our signings were very late ( couldn't be helped,I know) so it could all change dramatically for the better.....sincerely hoping so.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

i don't think centre midfield is strong enough to go up this season....There is a question mark over the fitness/ form of Jedinak, who I was looking at as an important player for us.

Gardner and westood are not strong enough for me and Tshibola I am unsure about.

I am looking for a driving force in there.....and to date I don't see it.

ps Its still early and our signings were very late ( couldn't be helped,I know) so it could all change dramatically for the better.....sincerely hoping so.

Admittedly the centre of the park has been my biggest concern too, Tshibola, whilst very good seems like a bit of a sick note! An injury or two leaves us very light weight, let's just hope the young ones step up to the plate as the season goes on and some confidence gained.

I currently still think we will make at least the play offs.

11 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I think that is crazy talk. In no universe is this squad good enough to win this league on paper, on the pitch, or anywhere else. Our back up midfield are atrocious and, since our 1st choice are injured, that is a real problem. Our defensive cover is Baker, Hutton, Cissokho and erm..... I won't even mention our goalkeeper. 

I think our 1st choice 11 could maybe finish in the top 8 but as a squad I'd say we are about a mid table side. League winners? Not a chance.

On paper I said but like I said it's not quite as simple as that. You say that our "backup is atrocious" but what you and a lot of others are forgetting is that newcastles backup isn't great either and I get a lot if our backup options would be first teasers for numerous championship clubs.

i don't think we will win the league at all, I have always said I expect play offs at best as too much changes this year. But I think next season for sure we have a excellent chance.

13 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I wouldn't go that far, but understand your position.

Players on paper, are just that.....We need to see them play and only then can we judge.

They may hit the ground running or conversely need to grow in to the season, we can only wait and see.If its the latter,we could be cut loose, by the time we gel/hit form, so its very much ifs buts and maybes.....We can only sit back and watch it unfold.

I was always of the general opinion 2 seasons, because I think we had left ourselves too much surgery to do and I think if we make the play offs, we have done well.

RDM needs a balanced approach from all of us owner and fans.

The midfield for me is not strong enough to mount a serious challenge, but we will see.The goal keeper needs to cut out the errors too, particularly the unforced ones.

• Like 2