Where do you think we will finish?

Demitri_C

Where will we Finish?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Now our summer business is over where do you think we will finish?

I think if this team clicks, and gels quickly, we could absolutely destroy this league with the team we have assembled. And in fairness we have looked good against the teams we have played even though results have not gone our way. We do still have a mental frailty and we need to fix that. Ideally we need a couple of good results and can then start to string a run together. 

I think that the international break has come at a good time for us, RDM will have time to at least integrate the new signings into the squad and have a look at how everyone plays together, much better than if there was a game this weekend. 

Now, realistically I think we are going to be top 6 - but I would hate to predict whether that is automatic promotion or play offs. It all depends on how quickly everyone moulds into position. 

I would have hoped that we could get all our business done a lot earlier, but appreciate that was close to impossible, so we are playing catchup. We have basically lost 5 games. If we were going into a pre-season with this squad, I would expect us to muller this league. As per RDM - it may even be next year that we get promoted, but I do think that towards the end of the season we will be flying. Hopefully we will have stayed in touch up till then.

I still feel that the defence and midfield is frail.

Take either Elphick or Cheser out and we'll see baker or richards in their place and that worries me.

Tshibola is already injured, if we lose jedinak to suspension that means westwood and gardner in centre mid and that worries me A LOT.

Up front we have lots of options, but 3 of them will be gone to AFCON leaving us with only McCormack (lets face it Kozak and Gabby arent getting a game).

This worries me and if he isnt on form come January, we're in deep trouble!

Don't get me wrong, we've done great business in 1 window.  But outside of our first 11 we are still a pretty poor side playing in a very physical league with lots of games.  There are going to be injuries and suspensions, and when that happens we will lose points.  I still cant see us getting into the playoffs.  Hoping we are still in touch come Jan so we can pick up some more players and push on.

10 hours ago, BOF said:

That's the thing.  Newcastle and Norwich will have probably 2 to 3 months headstart on us.  Whether or not we have the best squad in the division, historically, the sides who go straight back up after relegation tend to be the sides who kept their squad together.  We haven't done that because we didn't want to keep that squad together.  But it does mean that statistically we have a much larger job to do than either of the other relegated sides.  We've done right by us, but that doesn't mean we're not up against it.

the funny thing is we had a 2 or 3 month headstart on them but ballsed it up. **** you Randy

• Like 4

13 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don't see how anybody could look at the squad we have and call it weak. for the Championship, it just isn't.

its true though. best 11 vs 11 we are probably better than most teams in the league. when we get injuries and suspensions and have bring in shit like Hutton, Richards, Westwood and Kozak we wont be as good

On ‎2‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 03:53, villa4europe said:

My best mate is getting married on the day of the play off final

im tempted to go bet my life savings on it

I haven't met them, and I am sure they are a lovely couple, but for the sake of it, put me down for 50 bucks on 5 years.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

its true though. best 11 vs 11 we are probably better than most teams in the league. when we get injuries and suspensions and have bring in shit like Hutton, Richards, Westwood and Kozak we wont be as good

I know the cool thing to do at the moment is to slag off Westwood in every single thread but he'll play a load of games this year and not just because of injuries and suspensions. 

we may have bought 9 players, but is nobody expecting injuries? its a squad effort, we still need more players, better than what we have already, plus, as mentioned, time to gel, which the team dont have but need.

im not saying theres at least 9 teams better than us, and ye sure them clubs will need their new players time to gel as well, but this is villa, weve never exceeded the limitations since the 90s.

On 9/2/2016 at 22:37, TheStagMan said:

I think if this team clicks, and gels quickly, we could absolutely destroy this league with the team we have assembled. And in fairness we have looked good against the teams we have played even though results have not gone our way. We do still have a mental frailty and we need to fix that. Ideally we need a couple of good results and can then start to string a run together. 

I think that the international break has come at a good time for us, RDM will have time to at least integrate the new signings into the squad and have a look at how everyone plays together, much better than if there was a game this weekend. 

Now, realistically I think we are going to be top 6 - but I would hate to predict whether that is automatic promotion or play offs. It all depends on how quickly everyone moulds into position. 

I would have hoped that we could get all our business done a lot earlier, but appreciate that was close to impossible, so we are playing catchup. We have basically lost 5 games. If we were going into a pre-season with this squad, I would expect us to muller this league. As per RDM - it may even be next year that we get promoted, but I do think that towards the end of the season we will be flying. Hopefully we will have stayed in touch up till then.

Other teams will have injuries as well and wont have as good backup options as we do 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think I've actually said yet but I think we will finish between 1st and 4th. 

On paper it would be top 4.  We're slightly disadvantaged due to the team being thrown together so quickly.

What I really like about the division is that there are some really good managers who are able to motivate sides.  Chris Hughton at Brighton being the obvious stand out one but there are several others.  I'm really enjoying the division so far.  It reminds me of what football used to be like before TV and the middle classes ruined it

• Like 2

Hmm

Q1 Will this GK defence and midfield keep clean sheets?

A1 not very often

Q2 will the Midfield be strong enough to dominate games giving AM's & CF/ST enough to create and score more goals than we conceed?

A2 I dont think so

Q3 Will our attacking options score?

A3 yes I Think/Hope so

Q4 is our first 11 plus a few options to change a game/hold on to a lead/see out a game, one of the top 6 best in the league?

A4 not sure/hope so

Q5 is our squad of enough quality to win/draw more than we lose?

A5 Dont think so

Q6 Management/coaching team - do they have it in them?

A6 They should but I dont know if they will

Q7 Should we get promotion considering Dr X's outlay RDM & his staffs past records and the quality of our 1st 11 - Bench - Squad?

A7 Possibly - not a sure thing

So I'm hoping for Top2

Believe Playoffs are reachable

Honestly think a top 10 is a must

Facet- Hopefull but not Convinced of promotion

somewhere between 2-8

It's alright saying we need time to gel...I think most of us realise that from our underwhelming start points wise.

At what point though do you seriously look at the manager if we can't string 2-3 wins together?

I've said I'm fine with inconsistant form up to xmas as we've seen many teams after xmas get hot and win promotion that way, Reading in 11/12 went on a ridiculous run and won the league from about January.

I would expect to be in the top 6 on NYD, if we aren't then I'd want to know what RDM is doing for all the investement. We know have some of the best players in this league playing for us so we need to start winning games sooner or later and snap out of the mental fragility we have.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Top 10 for me. I think it is a massive ask to go from 17 points to a promotion in such a short amount of time.

Why?

The two sides are incompatible.

Last season has no bearing on anything-We have a completely new team, new manager and even new owner.  There is a feelgood factor about the place.

Are you saying there are 10 better sides than Villa?  Or that because a team playing in Villa colours last season has any influence on what a completely different side this time around will do?

We have 2 of the top 3 strikers from last season and a side littered with Premier League players.  Why should they finish 10th?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

Why?

The two sides are incompatible.

Last season has no bearing on anything-We have a completely new team, new manager and even new owner.  There is a feelgood factor about the place.

Are you saying there are 10 better sides than Villa?  Or that because a team playing in Villa colours last season has any influence on what a completely different side this time around will do?

We have 2 of the top 3 strikers from last season and a side littered with Premier League players.  Why should they finish 10th?

I would agree with that but we've already seen this summer despite all the changes individual errors are still costing us goals and we've had two major collapses when under pressure in away games.

I think those are the two main things nagging away at me in which I don't quite think we'll make top 2...we should certainly be in the play offs though even if it is a lottery.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I would agree with that but we've already seen this summer despite all the changes individual errors are still costing us goals and we've had two major collapses when under pressure in away games.

I think those are the two main things nagging away at me in which I don't quite think we'll make top 2...we should certainly be in the play offs though even if it is a lottery.

The goalie is a worry-Incredibly young for a first teamer.  His mistakes could have affected his confidence, even in this early stage.

it wasn't only away that we folded-Huddersfield also took control of the game second half.

being the eternal optimist, I put it down to the team getting used to each other still.

The two latest signings will help immensely and I'd venture to suggest that had Kodjia played against Huddersfield, the game would have been out of sight at half time-Derby also, possibly.

I think the club have done a remarkable job of trying to repair us.....It is unlikely the quality we are looking for will spend time on the bench, we have to look at the 11 players on match day to transform our fortunes and move us forward to be a more attractive proposition to recruit, its a snowball effect..Dr Tone has done his bit in phase 1 and now its up to the coaches  to do their job.....Like Flashingqwerty, i too have doubts of the defensive side of our game, from every dep't not just the back 5......thats an observation as opposed to criticism, because we have signed new players and i haven' t seem them perform for us, but. I am hopeful a scrooge like defence will raise our confidence and credibility and subsequently give the attack confidence to focus on their job in hand and score more regularly.

The forwards need to have the confidence from the defence that they can leave them to it and not keep leaving their posts to help out.....thats when the shape and balance will reappear.

until i see  the team perform on the pitch as opposed to whats on paper appears to be a damn good window, i don't know.

as a stab.....The playoffs, i would guess.

I will watch with interest.......and a juggernaut full of passion.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1