Have a little patience...

Spoony

34 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Of course we have time - not going up this season isn't going to kill this football club. 

It will make it harder to do next year. And the longer we stay here, the harder it becomes and while it won't kill the club we could quite easily become a nothing club in this division. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Of course we have time - not going up this season isn't going to kill this football club. 

It won't kill the club but I could very well see it ending RDM's association with us.

Regardless of what we expect as fans I think the owner will expect promotion. I also think RDM will expect it and I certainly think the likes of Elphick, Chester, Jedinak, McCormack will demand performances from themselves and those around them to achieve promotion.

This whole club for the last half dozen years as wreaked of failiure and a lack of ambition and expectation. That as to stop and the whole club needs to be as one in demanding better. Whilst there is a balance to be struck by allowing time for the squad to gel the over riding feeling around the club has to be that ultimately promotion is expected. As a fan base to expect less would be a failiure on our part.

• Like 1

Top 6 at xmas and then have a real good crack at trying to finish in top 2 for second half of the season is what I'm expecting. We'll spend more in January I'm sure.

For us not to finish in the play offs at least would be a disaster imo with the investment and the proven quality of player we now have for this level.

I know RDM spoke of a two year plan but I fail to see how he'd survive not making the play offs. 

• Like 3

Patience is required however in a month or so we should be expecting to start putting winning runs together. We are the envy of everyone in the division bar Newcastle and the manager can have no excuses if he doesn't get us promoted this season. He got the players he wants, now he has to get the results.

• Like 2

Not sure what this means if anything but if you remove the amount paid for Pogba,  on average each premier league club spent 53.35M this summer.  Obviously a lot spent less than that it would have been inflated by the top four spending vastly greater sums but that was the average spend.

We spent 57.3M on a new team so we spent more than an average premier league team

Doesn't mean much because we bought 9 players and let 17 go.  Also doesnt mean much as even smaller premier league clubs spent more than us on their main signings. What it does mean though is expectations are unrealistically high.  For me I didnt expect promotion this season regardless of what we spent

• Like 2

I think we've now signed enough and sold enough players to banish the atrocities of the last few years from the team's mindset, but I don't expect us to gel immediately. If we're still suffering the same old problems come the end of October then I'll get concerned. But I reckon we'll come good over the next month or so. Bit of patience is not a big ask under the circumstances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I expect promotion this season, nothing else is good enough. Results have been poor so far and need to improve dramatically.

but performances havent been IMO

bar the shakey start vs a decent sheffield wednesday team and a shit 2nd half vs bristol we've played ok

the penny will drop eventually, its just a case of how far off the pack we are when it does

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It won't kill the club but I could very well see it ending RDM's association with us.

Regardless of what we expect as fans I think the owner will expect promotion. I also think RDM will expect it and I certainly think the likes of Elphick, Chester, Jedinak, McCormack will demand performances from themselves and those around them to achieve promotion.

This whole club for the last half dozen years as wreaked of failiure and a lack of ambition and expectation. That as to stop and the whole club needs to be as one in demanding better. Whilst there is a balance to be struck by allowing time for the squad to gel the over riding feeling around the club has to be that ultimately promotion is expected. As a fan base to expect less would be a failiure on our part.

For me to expect less than promotion is a failure on my part ?

I disagree.  IMO for a fan to expect promotion is -  to use the same concept - a failure on their part.

There are few things worse than a sense of entitlement, especially when applied to a Club that only a few months ago was record breakingly bad.

The atmosphere (at VP, or on VT, when I chat to my mates, or in my own head,)  won't be adversely affected this year by me, if we are mid table at Christmas, because I don't expect promotion, so I won't be one of either ; angry, frustrated, disappointed, let down, or any of the other emotions those who do expect promotion will be.

(NB - I am by no means saying that all those who expect promotion will sour the atmosphere, of course not, but I think it is reasonable to say those that do will be from those that expect promotion - so lets not get sidetracked down that side alley :))

And why don't I expect it ?  Because regardless of whether we need to go up this time, whether Tony will sack the Manger if we don't go up this time, whether the players ought to be good enough to go up, whether of finances will be badly affected, or whether we have been poor and had a culture of failure for years, I accept that (1) football doesn't work like that, and (2) I accept that the massive job already done is nothing more than to restore us to a competitive position.

So I expect us to compete, but not necessarily to succeed, which is the difference.  I like to think we will challenge well, but that's it. 

I don't see that as a bad thing or a failure in any way.

The whole point of acknowledging how poor we have been should, IMO, be to appreciate that what we have just seen just puts us back on the road, it hasn't been icing on the cake.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard said:

For me I didnt expect promotion this season regardless of what we spent

Really? so even if we had spent twice as much your expectation still wouldn't have raised to promotion.

Two months ago I felt promotion would have been a huge ask. Everything is relative though and that was before we spent 60 odd mill on new players, got rid of some of the tripe and those that didn't want to know and replaced them with proven quality at this level and a number of natural leaders. 

Whilst I am happy to allow a period of time for the players to gel with 41 games to go I think that is ample time to do that and achieve promotion.

Edited by markavfc40

Patience?? I can't even wait for forest let alone wait for this team to gel!! 

But, in all seriousness, it's a good point. We need to give some of these players time to settle in and not get on their backs 4/5 games in. (Gollini). We need to give the players time to gel and get to know each other... The defence already seems pretty together. That attacking unit needs time to click. When it does, I can see us putting a run together which will propel us up the table. We could easily go 10/15 games unbeaten imo.

positivity is definitely needed now. And it's not happy clapping, a positive atmosphere from us will eminate itself to the players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Really? so even if we had spent twice as much your expectation still wouldn't have raised to promotion.

Two months ago I felt promotion would have been a huge ask. Everything is relative though and that was before we spent 60 odd mill on new players, got rid of some of the tripe and those that didn't want to know and replaced them with proven quality at this level and a number of natural leaders. 

Whilst I am happy to allow a period of time for the players to gel with 41 games to go I think thst is ample time to do that and achieve promotion.

Even if we had spent 100 times as much I wouldn't expect promotion !

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Even if we had spent 100 times as much I wouldn't expect promotion !

That is fair enough. It is not all about money. We spent 60 odd mill on some real proven quaility at this level including a number of natural leaders something we have lacked for years.

As I said previouusly although unlike you I think a fan base expecting promotion is a good thing as long as patience is shown, regardless of what we think I think the owner and manager will be demanding promotion from the players. I also think we now have a number of players who will thrive on that level of expectation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That is fair enough. It is not all about money. We spent 60 odd mill on some real proven quaility at this level including a number of natural leaders something we have lacked for years.

As I said previouusly although unlike you I think a fan base expecting promotion is a good thing as long as patience is shown, regardless of what we think I think the owner and manager will be demanding promotion from the players. I also think we now have a number of players who will thrive on that level of expectation.

I agree with that.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

We should definitely be looking for and hoping for promotion but I feel, as stated on the previous page, that it's a bit arrogant to 'expect' it.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It will make it harder to do next year. And the longer we stay here, the harder it becomes and while it won't kill the club we could quite easily become a nothing club in this division. 

Not likely with Tony splashing the cash to get out.