Steve Round

meme

@mykeyb - I think he was under contract at his previous employer until 1st September (which potentially meant that nothing could be officially announced until his previous contract had expired)?  That would probably also mean that officially he couldn't work for us during that period - whether that meant that he could / could not do anything is another matter.  In the past when I have been on "gardening leave" after having resigned to take up a position with another organisation - part of the agreement was that I was unable to do any work for my new company whilst on "gardening leave" but my old company did permit me to attend a couple of internal meetings prior to my official start (but I did need to get approval from them for that).

• 3 months later...

@OutByEaster? Good find Scott. I know you have met him but just off the back of that interview he comes across as highly knowledgeable and driven. 

It is a vital role at the club, arguably as important as the manager, and he at least comes across as someone not only with the knowledge to do it but also confident in his ability to do the job well.

We know the first team has been a shambles for years but so much below that has been neglected and one of the big issues seems to be that the buck was stopping with no one person who was overseeing it. That will no longer be the case.

• Like 1

Everything he talks about sounds like the present and the future of football.  I don't know how far behind we are as a football club but I'd suspect he has his work cut out here at Villa.

I sincerely hope that we have stability in the technical and the coaching ranks to embed some of this thinking and practice.

1 minute ago, Tubby said:

Everything he talks about sounds like the present and the future of football.  I don't know how far behind we are as a football club but I'd suspect he has his work cut out here at Villa.

I sincerely hope that we have stability in the technical and the coaching ranks to embed some of this thinking and practice.

That's his job, to find those people.

He's the boss now. The importance of his role to our future cannot be underestimated. 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's the boss now. The importance of his role to our future cannot be underestimated. 

So in effect, he's like the MD of the footballing side of the club?

Whilst Wyness is CEO focusing on the non-football side?

• Like 2

And there was me thinking Steve Round was here to oversee transfers and stop us dropping clangers with incomings/outgoings, but maybe not. Letting Gestede leave so early in the window, without any replacement, thus having to rely on Gabby is **** ridiculous. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2017 at 12:46, OutByEaster? said:

Nice little interview here:

I stil think people underestimate how much influence Steve Round has in what we're doing and what we will do.

Must watch if you have even the vaguest interest in the structure of our football club and the definition of each particular role.

On 14/01/2017 at 19:00, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

And there was me thinking Steve Round was here to oversee transfers and stop us dropping clangers with incomings/outgoings, but maybe not. Letting Gestede leave so early in the window, without any replacement, thus having to rely on Gabby is **** ridiculous. 

Care to reevaluate? 

• Like 1

Not bad for a first properly planned window. I'd seen his interview and was very impressed now seeing our signings I'm even more so. Hopefully the structure we've craved is finally in place. Xia, Wyness, Round and Bruce have all done well now time to do well on the pitch. 

He sounds like just the right person we need. However that is what I also thought when we hired Tom Fox so I know nothing.

I think it shows that clubs do need a Round type person employed nowadays. Football is so massive now it is unrealistic to expect a manager to do all this long term restructuring, training and recruitment whilst at the same time coaching the first team and responding to media pressures. Coupled with most clubs now having owners who cannot be 24/7 at a club, and executives busy getting the next sponsor and commercial streams,  then having a TD with 20 years plus experience in football sounds like a good idea to me.

Its intriguing how these advancements are finding there way in to the game.

I was also interested in him speaking about the art of player decision making and that whilst there is techniques they can help players with, it is largely intrinsic.

I thought his reference to Paul McGrath identified very clearly that there are naturals in the game to whom you just have to let get on with it , I would think Gascoigne or Dalglish in their hey day was similar.

The game has moved on in leaps and bounds and the sports science side of things has made colossal changes......but equally, I still think there is a bit of old fashioned individual artistry, that will never fade away.

Ps colour by numbers has its place, but a brilliant artist is what we all want to see.

On 1/27/2017 at 09:02, dn1982 said:

Not bad for a first properly planned window. I'd seen his interview and was very impressed now seeing our signings I'm even more so. Hopefully the structure we've craved is finally in place. Xia, Wyness, Round and Bruce have all done well now time to do well on the pitch. 

Proof of the pudding........:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â