Steve Round

meme

20 hours ago, sne said:

Can't understand how one of the brightest young thinkers in the game (sic) can sit and just let this shit show continue. 

Xia needs to clean house and start again with new people.

One of the brightest young thinkers who never became a manager, and was snubbed by remi garde as assistant manager ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hippo said:

One of the brightest young thinkers who never became a manager, and was snubbed by remi garde as assistant manager ? 

I don't understand this criticism. Unless I'm mistaken, based on your previous comments, you regard Remi Garde as pretty much the pinnacle of shit ineptitude. I don't necessarily agree, but if you think that way, then why would you assume that being rejected by Garde was a mark of shame? Are we to believe that he was absolutely useless at everything else, but the most shit-hot judge of assistant managers the club has ever seen?

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand this criticism. Unless I'm mistaken, based on your previous comments, you regard Remi Garde as pretty much the pinnacle of shit ineptitude. I don't necessarily agree, but if you think that way, then why would you assume that being rejected by Garde was a mark of shame? Are we to believe that he was absolutely useless at everything else, but the most shit-hot judge of assistant managers the club has ever seen?

The first part of my sentence ie always a coach but never a manager - is the part that speaks volumes. The failure to secure an Aston Villa assistant manager is just a tad more evidence to cast doubt on his 'one of the brightest thinkers in the game' title.

From what I understand much of time is producing reports and researching - although he has a grand title he isn't really that much of a senior figure at VP. 

• 1 month later...

From all of the online content that I have seen of his day to day role here. It does appear me that he has brought some real structure to the scouting network, data analyst, football psychologist and youth development.

But this Wolves match has made me wonder, what football philosophy has he tried to implement in a year of being here and how has he tried to build this with  our current management and coaches?

I remember him speaking about this blackbox of data and this will allow us to assess our current players and find players that fit into this group but this has not been the case. We have signed players because Bruce knows them well or Round and his data team have selected a specific player i.e Bjarnsson.

I am worried because despite Round building some sort of structure to this club the key components are missing. I.e Management, players and Identity. 

Recently this new marketing buzz word called the "Villa Engine" has been touted.  It has taken a year to come up with this yet we do not know what this consists of? 

//

My thought is that when Xia joined,  he was advised on the right footballing people to bring to this club because he never had any inside football knowledge.  Hence why he appointed RDM with a degree and Round that also has a degree.  Xia probably thought he had the right credentials to help bring this club back to the promise land. 

Xia strikes me as someone that has been using his own time to understand the game better and even building up his own contacts in this footballing industry.

I would not be surprised if Xia decides to have a massive overhaul at this club next summer if we do not succeed in getting promoted this season, Round being one of many casualties.  

• Like 4

On 14/10/2017 at 21:22, Reivax_Villa said:

From all of the online content that I have seen of his day to day role here. It does appear me that he has brought some real structure to the scouting network, data analyst, football psychologist and youth development.

But this Wolves match has made me wonder, what football philosophy has he tried to implement in a year of being here and how has he tried to build this with  our current management and coaches?

I remember him speaking about this blackbox of data and this will allow us to assess our current players and find players that fit into this group but this has not been the case. We have signed players because Bruce knows them well or Round and his data team have selected a specific player i.e Bjarnsson.

I am worried because despite Round building some sort of structure to this club the key components are missing. I.e Management, players and Identity. 

Recently this new marketing buzz word called the "Villa Engine" has been touted.  It has taken a year to come up with this yet we do not know what this consists of? 

//

My thought is that when Xia joined,  he was advised on the right footballing people to bring to this club because he never had any inside football knowledge.  Hence why he appointed RDM with a degree and Round that also has a degree.  Xia probably thought he had the right credentials to help bring this club back to the promise land. 

Xia strikes me as someone that has been using his own time to understand the game better and even building up his own contacts in this footballing industry.

I would not be surprised if Xia decides to have a massive overhaul at this club next summer if we do not succeed in getting promoted this season, Round being one of many casualties.  

I hope so

If you look at the career of southamptons Les Reed it is rather inspiring including 5 weeks in charge of Charlton. So I won't judge Round for another year at least as you never know it might be a Xia master stroke or a disaster. How can he judged now so soon ? 

9 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Very interesting point.

For someone in his role it could potentially take longer establish something that we can all admire.  But I am worried about the lack of identity that this club has had since his arrival, yet a football agent was able to create something formidable in Wolverhampton over the recent summer.

The agent hasn't created anything though has he. He's had the contacts in the game to get the players to come.  It's a different story getting them to play. If you look at their first season then zenga was a disaster but nuno looks to have worked wonders in a small space of time.

I always get confused when the pitch forks are pulled out for Round. From the small bits we hear he is working wonders with rebuilding everything that was left to rot under lerner, and most of which wont come to fruition for a few yrs. I'm not sure if he has much to do with the first team other than providing the first team staff with data / recommendations. What Bruce and his team choose to do with it, is a different matter.

I think we can all agree that the team and style smacks of Brucie so maybe he is just doing his own thing. I think Round was quoted as saying I'm hear if the manager needs me, which would suggest 90% of his efforts are academy focused.

We haven't found a nuno. But that part of the puzzle points more to Wyness than it does Round for me.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2017 at 20:22, Reivax_Villa said:

//

If we really are trying to create this "villa Engine", then it's something that will take years and years to implement.

You can't judge whether that has been successful on one game vs Wolves.

None of us have any idea if Round is doing a good job. He might be doing the worst job imagineable. But as usual we're all just guessing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villan_007 said:

The agent hasn't created anything though has he. He's had the contacts in the game to get the players to come.  It's a different story getting them to play. If you look at their first season then zenga was a disaster but nuno looks to have worked wonders in a small space of time.

I always get confused when the pitch forks are pulled out for Round. From the small bits we hear he is working wonders with rebuilding everything that was left to rot under lerner, and most of which wont come to fruition for a few yrs. I'm not sure if he has much to do with the first team other than providing the first team staff with data / recommendations. What Bruce and his team choose to do with it, is a different matter.

I think we can all agree that the team and style smacks of Brucie so maybe he is just doing his own thing. I think Round was quoted as saying I'm hear if the manager needs me, which would suggest 90% of his efforts are academy focused.

We haven't found a nuno. But that part of the puzzle points more to Wyness than it does Round for me.

Interesting perspective, one i cannot disagree with. 

Maybe it will talk a lot more time to know the impact Round has had to the first team. I did mention that he has done good things behind the scenes but as you stated he may not be entirely responsible to what happens to the first team.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If we really are trying to create this "villa Engine", then it's something that will take years and years to implement.

You can't judge whether that has been successful on one game vs Wolves.

None of us have any idea if Round is doing a good job. He might be doing the worst job imagineable. But as usual we're all just guessing.

Fair point

I guess if you look at Southampton it took them several years to establish something at their club, so i do see where your coming from.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

These things in terms of changing the clubs philosophy, do take time.

but people who are at the heart of it all, should know.

They were calling for SAF's head in his early days at Old Trafford ,but Martin Edwards knew the job he was doing and supported him.....The rest is history, well thanks to Mark Robins goal.

The problem for us is ( talking genrally) we have no idea what is going on in terms of development.

The problem for me is i see improvement in terms of resillience and being harder to beat......in terms of quality of offensive play i see very little.

It seems to me everyone associated with the club are frightened to death of losing....such is the mentality that has gripped this club over many years.

Edited by TRO

On 10/16/2017 at 21:33, Reivax_Villa said:

Very interesting point.

For someone in his role it could potentially take longer establish something that we can all admire.  But I am worried about the lack of identity that this club has had since his arrival, yet a football agent was able to create something formidable in Wolverhampton over the recent summer.

When you think about it, once again, it is clear Bruce was brought in to get us promoted, full stop, and not necessarily a part of the long term vision.

Hopefully we will be benefiting from Rounds work in the future, in the Premier League.

Allowing us to have a mixture of our own home grown youngsters, and splashing cash on the odd Ronaldo etc :p.

Will take a year or so to drill the hoofball out of them and hammer the currently dilapidated "engine" into a Rolls Royce (Villa) Engine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I can’t be the only one worried that the Villa Engine is going to be more like Wimbledon of the 90’s. 

I would kill for that engine, at least they won a trophy.

Right now we are looking like Gary Megson's Nottingham Forest engine.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I can’t be the only one worried that the Villa Engine is going to be more like Wimbledon of the 90’s. 

Wimbledon, Wimbledon, they show nowhere near the agression of the crazy gang.

They wouldn't emulate Wimbledon in a million years.

Edited by TRO

• 3 weeks later...
Â