Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

14 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

For £15m you'd expect him to win games for us on his own. He's really just a decent striker with pace, with a bit of thought and planning we probably could have signed someone just as good for £5m. 

Could have got somebody far better for free.

Ironically, the guy who Bristol City got.

On 10/17/2016 at 09:54, Woodytom said:

Could have got somebody far better for free.

Ironically, the guy who Bristol City got.

The player they loaned? Yeah, I guess so. If that's your preference. Though to be honest, if anyone other than Bristol City could really see that happening he wouldn't be at Bristol City. 

3 goals in 8 games, half from a wide position. 2 in 2. He's getting there. 

Not his biggest fan from what I've seen so far but I haven't seen any of Tuesday game bar the two pens. Tho again, I can't really argue if he scores. 

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Though to be honest, if anyone other than Bristol City could really see that happening he wouldn't be at Bristol City. 

Kind of the point that it's once again not us that's noticed a really good opportunity for a player but instead forked out a fortune.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Kind of the point that it's once again not us that's noticed a really good opportunity for a player but instead forked out a fortune.

When we were skint and were having to pin our hopes on cheap, unknown players turning into world beaters, were you in favor of continuing with that kind of scouting and buying process rather than being taken over by an owner with money to spend?   Were you advocating against Dr. Tony spending money on strikers with a history of scoring in the Championship in favor of taking a punt on some unknown instead?  We didn't really have a lot of success with that model, bar Benteke (and Westwood;)). 

The whole advantage of having money to spend is that you greatly improve the chances that the players you buy will come good.  Just because Abraham is having a great season and was cheap, it doesn't necessarily follow that Kodjia was a bad buy.   If he scores goals and helps us, he was a good buy.  We paid a premium to increase the likelihood this will be the case, but there are no guarantees.  There's no magic number of goals where he becomes a good buy vs. a bad buy, and Abraham's performance has no impact on it.   Bristol City got lucky.   We got lucky with Benteke.   Most teams get lucky once in a while.  I'd rather spend the money and occasionally get unlucky (or make a bad buy) than spend no money and occasionally get lucky (or make a brilliant buy).

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

When we were skint and were having to pin our hopes on cheap, unknown players turning into world beaters, were you in favor of continuing with that kind of scouting and buying process rather than being taken over by an owner with money to spend?  

Said this many a time but I never once moaned regarding the lack of funds made available. We had more than enough available to easily make a better fist of it than we did imo. 

The second half of your post I agree with entirely. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 08:45, omariqy said:

I would say he has been our best player this season so far. Lad has so much ability if a bit selfish at times. Bit like Benteke.

It's worth remembering Benteke had a similar start here....only 3 goals or so up to December 2012 and some poor misses v West Brom and Fulham.

But people could see from his debut and early games he had something about him.

Same for Kodjia imo at this level...the only thing I don't get is why we're so allergic to playing him through the middle. He plays that role for Ivory Coast (ahead of Bony) so not sure why we're so reluctant.

I think our best 3 is

Adomah- Kodjia- Ayew.

For home games like tommorrow stick McCormack behind them as we need to win home games. Away though I have no issue with him sticking to the dogged and hardworking central trio as we had the other night.

Whichever division you're in you need balance.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

For home games like tommorrow stick McCormack behind them as we need to win home games.

We did so against Wolves. It didn't work. 

Doesn't mean that it wont, just pointing it out. For the time being we need to stay solid and grind out results, hope that our talent on the ball shines through. Kodjia should start up front though IMO, with Ayew and Adomah on the wings. McCormack will have his part to play eventually. 

• Like 1

From what I've seen of him so far, and I admit I've not seen it all, I think we've a damn good player here.  And remember that a big part of how a striker does in a team relies upon the midfield.  This fella is doing well while 'Our midfield problems' is one of our most active threads.  That should tell you something of what he'll do when we get the rather big bit in the middle all settled.  Looking forward to it.  Oh yes.

• Like 3

Just now, BOF said:

From what I've seen of him so far, and I admit I've not seen it all, I think we've a damn good player here.  And remember that a big part of how a striker does in a team relies upon the midfield.  This fella is doing well while 'Our midfield problems' is one of our most active threads.  That should tell you something of what he'll do when we get the rather big bit in the middle all settled.  Looking forward to it.  Oh yes.

I agree, I think he has a ton of ability.

He's a bit of a maverick though, he does his own thing. Difficult player to manage logistically I would imagine but I like that in some ways, he's unpredictable and he doesn't seem flummoxed by the 'playing for a big club now' tag in the least. Confidence is not something he looks short of. 

As stated above he starts up front for Ivory Coast ahead of Bony. That should tell us a lot about how he's thought of within the game. 

FWIW,and I know it's only a youtube video, but a lot of his work last season for Bristol seemed to be out on the left and right.
..I also remember the manager saying he hasn't had a great footballing education and was very raw, even at this age.. so maybe doesn't have the intelligence to lead the line?

I wonder at times if some posters actually watch our games. Kodija has shown in glimses he has huge potential. He glides past players with ease. He has very good pace and loads of skill. He is still quite raw but if we can get him the ball in better positions he'all score for fun. Out wide he ends up having to go past midfielders and defenders If we can get him with just the defence to go at it'll be bett for us. Hopefully that'll come with a stronger midfield. A front 3 of Adomah Kodija and Ayew should be quality. Loads of pace and all ca play all 3 positions. 

• Like 1

I would respectfully suggest that complaints which include reference to the fee paid are maybe overlooking we have probably paid anywhere between 15-35 % premium for players given the widespread knowledge that (a) we were desperate and (b) had loads of money.

Kind of renders fee based comments redundant IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I would respectfully suggest that complaints which include reference to the fee paid are maybe overlooking we have probably paid anywhere between 15-35 % premium for players given the widespread knowledge that (a) we were desperate and (b) had loads of money.

Huh, I disagree entirely. All the more reason to have a proper scouting structure in place that sources cheap effective options.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The fee is £11m those quoting £15m must think he's going to be a success as that includes clauses. If we get promotion £4m is nothing! We needed proven goal scorers those stating we should've got the bloke Bristol brought in don't seem to realise that. I'm sure by the end of the season his fee won't be mentioned ever. 

Â