Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

26 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

What points did he do well in 90 minutes?

He was lucky to stay on the field the way he barged over idiotically into the grealish incident having already been booked.

Did he put the penalty away ok? Or was it not quite good enough?

• Like 1

What really done my head in was we constantly kept pumping into the air for him, he's not that type of player at all. It's clear to see. Just play it to his feet.

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

What points did he do well in 90 minutes?

He was lucky to stay on the field the way he barged over idiotically into the grealish incident having already been booked.

His general play. He barely got a sniff. Didn't help that we were lumping it forward in the air as if he was some kind of Gestede/Shearer hybrid

As above - thought he linked up fairly well with Adomah in the first half. Could/should have squared to McCormack in the first half for a dead cert goal. 

Needs the ball at his feet in the final third. Lumping it up to him is and will be useless. Feel some of the earlier opinions post game are overreactions. 

7 hours ago, chappy said:

His general play. He barely got a sniff. Didn't help that we were lumping it forward in the air as if he was some kind of Gestede/Shearer hybrid

His closing down was pretty poor after a while, though. He seems pretty self-interested if I'm honest. McCormack was constantly having to shout at him to press the defence - not to mention that non-pass. 

He's a handy enough player and had an off day but there's been nothing to convince me that he's a good purchase for £15m this far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

His closing down was pretty poor after a while, though. He seems pretty self-interested if I'm honest. McCormack was constantly having to shout at him to press the defence - not to mention that non-pass. 

He's a handy enough player and had an off day but there's been nothing to convince me that he's a good purchase for £15m this far. 

At this level I'd want to see upwards of 30 league goals to be convinced that £15m was good business to be perfectly honest.

Rightly the standards are being set high on this bloke given the fee, he has pace and is skillful but so far he has not scored enough and not really done enough. Yesterday was awful IMO, his decision making was putrid, not only that chance where he should have squared it to McCormack, but his general back-to-goal play was shite - often opting to try and go past several players rather than do the simple lay off. Kodjia just over complicates things, and we really ought to have no time for that. 

Whilst strikers are very far down our list of priorities this winter, I would really like to see us sign Scott Hogan from Brentford at some point, perhaps at the cost of McCormack.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Agree on the closing down. McCormack had to partially shame him into it on occasion. 

I'm not a huge believer in your centre forwards killing themselves chasing lost causes, but there were several times yesterday when if he'd gone with Ross, their back four would have been in trouble. As it was they pretty much always had a comfortable ball out, because RMcM was going alone and there was no support behind or alongside him, 

Edited by wazzap24

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

said it earlier in the thread he would have be league top scorer to justify that fee

Bristol City mugged us especially when they have Abraham

No doubt in my mind we got mugged off with Kodjia. I like him, but Kodjia is not worth what we paid. The price tag we put on him was ridiculous considering he only had 1 good season in the championship. Rudy had a better strike record and yet we got Rudy for half. 

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

@KHV just wondering, but do you think he was a waste of money?

I think we overpaid massively for him. I don't think he is a bad player but I would not have paid more than £10m for him. 

9 hours ago, KHV said:

I think we overpaid massively for him. I don't think he is a bad player but I would not have paid more than £10m for him. 

Remember a lot of that is add ons though so really it is more like 10m as we are not getting promoted this season

Â