Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

On the ball, he's exciting - he wants to find shooting positions and he wants to have a pop. He's physical and he looks talented and a handful. He's not the hardest working and his closing down tonight was abysmal - in a more balanced team that wouldn't matter as much. Cracking first goal though and I think he'll get a lot more.

Despite being played out of position he stuck to his task and stayed out wide, linked up well with de Laet and most of our attacking threat in the first half was down the right. Unfortunately he faded in the second half with the rest of them. As our most accomplished forward he should really be leading the line upfront with Gestede relegated to the bench.

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's not the hardest working and his closing down tonight was abysmal - in a more balanced team that wouldn't matter as much. 

He shouldn't even be being asked to do that though should he. It seemed to me he was told to sit way too deep as his starting position was too often in our half. Certainly for the whole of the second half it was. That won't be what a forward naturally wants to do so the manager must have told him to which to me is madness. You don't pay 15 mill for a centre forward and ask him to play wide with an emphasis on tracking back.

Despite the above he was our best player tonight. I want to see him up top from now on though with not a mention of having to defend.

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That won't be what a forward naturally wants to do so the manager must have told him to which to me is madness. You don't pay 15 mill for a centre forward and ask him to play wide with an emphasis on tracking back.

It should be madness, but we have a midfield that can't run.

Despite the above he was our best player tonight. I want to see him up top from now on though with not a mention of having to defend.

I thought Ayew was our best player tonight by a distance - but I 100% agree with you on where and how Kodjia should be playing.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Next game I'd try playing with an actual midfield, while having Ayew and Kodija up front

What midfield? He played the best he had. The only difference he could make to that central position is to out Tshibola in for Westwood but that's pretty difficult with the player out injured. That's RDM's biggest mistake so far, not getting enough CM depth in. 

Nice piece on Codger in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/22/jonathan-kodjia-ivory-coast-new-didier-drogba-aston-villa?CMP=share_btn_tw

“We know that the fans expect wins and we need that, too, so that we can be a bit happier in training,” Kodjia says. “We have a lot of new players and all we need is time for everyone to gel. We have players with immense qualities and a manager who has won the Champions League, and knows football very well. We have everything going for us. It’s just about fine-tuning details, getting a bit more luck and, also, becoming more killer in front of goal. Once we’ve done that, I don’t think anyone will be able to stop us. People are going to be pleasantly surprised.”

Sounds like a good lad and being a late starter should mean he'll come into his peak in the next couple of years.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Nice piece on Codger in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/22/jonathan-kodjia-ivory-coast-new-didier-drogba-aston-villa?CMP=share_btn_tw

Sounds like a good lad and being a late starter should mean he'll come into his peak in the next couple of years.

Good interview. I really like him and McCormack. our best two players by some distance.

• Like 1

Villa player in 'were about to turn a corner' claim shocker.

Fails to explain how the more time we spend gelling as a team, seems to have resulted in us getting worse.

Do us a favour Jonathan, stop with the wishy washy media friendly nonsense (I'm sick of it from this club tbh) and just bang some goals in.

Stop telling us how it's going to be. Just get on with it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Villa player in 'were about to turn a corner' claim shocker.

Fails to explain how the more time we spend gelling as a team, seems to have resulted in us getting worse.

Do us a favour Jonathan, stop with the wishy washy media friendly nonsense (I'm sick of it from this club tbh) and just bang some goals in.

Stop telling us how it's going to be. Just get on with it.

How did you find settling in at a new club then Woodytom?

Â