Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

15 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Bye Kodj.

Just shows the risk of recruitment. Nearly 4 years on and a lot of salary money later, we finally get to unravel one of the early mistakes of the Xia/diMatteo era.

Worth remembering though that he got a fair few goals in his first season but never really regained form after his injuries.

A mistake? We'd have been in League 1 without him after that first season mate.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Scathing comments from smith on Kodjia. I defended kodjia in the past but sounds like I was wrong to do so

Hardly scathing. He also said the ACON and the injury he picked up VS Tottenham were the reasons he struggled.

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hardly scathing. He also said the ACON and the injury he picked up VS Tottenham were the reasons he struggled.

Oh that's good. I should have read the whole thing. 

Jimmy Danger brought a lot of enjoyment after that horrendous relegation season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

A mistake? We'd have been in League 1 without him after that first season mate.

Well that begs a long of questions!

Obviously if he wasn’t in the squad and there was no other forward in his place then, yes, we would have been in big trouble (a bit like we are now). I’m assuming though that it would have been possible to buy a forward who could have worked better with the team and scored more consistently. The “mistake I referred to was that no manager ever really found a way of integrating him properly into the team.

Edited by briny_ear

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The disrespect to Kodjia in here is embarrassing.

Kodjia isn't lazy. He may not run around like a headless chicken like Weimann used to do, not all strikers do. He is a fox in the box and prefers to conserve he's energy for what's happening in the final third.

Smith says he isn't up for the fitness standard yet got no problems playing a totally unfit Drinkwater. Does not add up to me. Clearly an agenda. Did Kodjia sleep with his wife or something?

I wish him all the best and thank him for the memories.

I actually agreed with the first half of your post.

The irony of mentioning an agenda in the second half of the post is funny though :D 

On 21/01/2020 at 10:45, briny_ear said:

Well that begs a long of questions!

Obviously if he wasn’t in the squad and there was no other forward in his place then, yes, we would have been in big trouble (a bit like we are now). I’m assuming though that it would have been possible to buy a forward who could have worked better with the team and scored more consistently. The “mistake I referred to was that no manager ever really found a way of integrating him properly into the team.

He was injured in his second season, third season we had Abraham who was definitely the first choice upfront.

I can tell you right now that fitness is paramount. If Kodjia didn't have it, Smith made a good choice.

There's not much use for a player who is technically sound to dribble by 2 or 3 defenders and has the technique to finish, if he can only do so for 5-10 minutes before his fitness fails.

Even if this individual is quite athletic (like Kodjia) with a quick first step, agile in change of direction, sound foot-eye coordination and has the ability to 'slow time' at critical moments.

All that goes to waste if the fitness levels are inadequate for the level of competition being played, otherwise you have to be exceptional at your skill-set and have others cover your liabilities.

Kodjia was never and probably will never be an exceptional PL striker. Unfortunately for him it was probably not too far from his reach, and who knows had he stayed injury free.

Edited by A'Villan

Â