Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Unsure what this paragraph has to do with Kodjia. Just reads like a pointless, off-topic pop at Villa.

I think lots of Championship teams/their fans have been unhappy at the amount ourselves and Newcastle have spent. It's almost like we are the two biggest clubs down there, also benefitting from parachute payments for the first 3 years.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Not convinced who's saying that..?

Again, it was in response to a pop at Bristol City fans being happy with the fact we roughly broke even with transfer fees and that we are going about things in a sustainable way.

If Villa have a net spend of £30 odd million each season then they will be in trouble and get fined/have a points deduction.

Just now, AvfcTheObsession said:

I think lots of Championship teams/their fans have been unhappy at the amount ourselves and Newcastle have spent. It's almost like we are the two biggest clubs down there, also benefitting from parachute payments for the first 3 years.

I understand that and sympathise with them.

However, a Villa forum isn't the right medium to moan about that.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcTheObsession said:

Not fussed about the amount you spend tbh, but this isn't a league where you can buy the title. Derby tried last season and as a result have had to curtail their spending this year so they can meet the regulations.

And once again I will repeat that "pop" at Villa was in response to an off topic "pop" at Bristol City, by a poster who has tried to belittle my posts, so is it any surprise I have given them short shrift?

31 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Personally think you'll fall short of playoffs, had you down as mid table before all transfers were done, but after the signings made think 7th-8th

When this team has gelled and it will be sooner rather than later I see nothing in this division to be frightened of - no reason why villa shouldn't go on a good run of results and be right up there come  may .

Thanks for your insight that you don't feel we will make the top 6 - only time will tell .

Anyway good luck to Bristol city and I hope you stay up :D

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

When this team has gelled and it will be sooner rather than later I see nothing in this division to be frightened of - no reason why villa shouldn't go on a good run of results and be right up there cone may .

Thanks for your insight that you don't feel we will make the top 6 - only time will tell .

Anyway good luck to Bristol city and I hope you stay up :D

I hope we do too! :D

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

And once again I will repeat that "pop" at Villa was in response to an off topic "pop" at Bristol City, by a poster who has tried to belittle my posts, so is it any surprise I have given them short shrift?

I'll repeat, you're on a Villa forum. Yes it is a surprise to me if you think you can have a "pop" at our club and think that everybody here is going to be fine with that and there will be zero backlash, regardless of the circumstances. 

I feel like this conversation, generally, is a bit classless. We should all give it a rest perhaps?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'll repeat, you're on a Villa forum. Yes it is a surprise to me if you think you can have a "pop" at our club and think that everybody here is going to be fine with that and there will be zero backlash, regardless of the circumstances. 

I feel like this conversation, generally, is a bit classless. We should all give it a rest perhaps?

I didn't expect everyone to be fine with it, however since joining here I hadn't said anything derogatory about your club until then, and even that was hardly derogatory, by the same token why should I be expected to accept a slander on my character and a pop at my club, regardless of the forum.

I think you'll agree a bit of banter is expected and we have had some already, but the posts I was responding in the manner that I did were not a part of that at all and were nothing but insults towards the views I had taken my time to give to you guys, and towards my club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So anyway, Kodjia... I think he'll be on the bench Sunday. 

If so , a far better option than Kozak . 

Maybe give him a start against Brentford on Wednesday after he's had a few days training with us . 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I'd stick gestede on the bench - think kodija has more strengths to his game than rudi - although adomah may get the best from rudi . 

Adomahs crossing (at least with us) was very hit and miss, that said he causes defenders trouble regardless. Kodjia as the right of 2 strikers (perhaps alongside McCormack) with Adomah on the right wing would menace any side in this league

• Like 1

At the risk of taking this further off topic, I never got the impression Adomah was much about the crossing at all.  Didn't watch him when at Bristol City so can't comment on that, but at Boro he always seemed to be much more bothered about taking players on and getting a shot away, playing short balls into the box or pull backs from the by-line.  Can't really remember him ever whipping in crosses; although may be entirely wrong here!

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Adomahs crossing (at least with us) was very hit and miss, that said he causes defenders trouble regardless. Kodjia as the right of 2 strikers (perhaps alongside McCormack) with Adomah on the right wing would menace any side in this league

I like the kodija signing as he gives us options whereas gestede needs service - I'm hoping kodija will be more involved in the game and add a new dimension to our attack 

40 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So anyway, Kodjia... I think he'll be on the bench Sunday. 

No. Get him on the pitch straight away. Big money move, wonder goal on international duty, I hope we don't just put him on the bench and wait for his chance. 

Gestede was decent against Rotherham but he should be the option off the bench against forest IMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Depends which way you look at it - Ayew has played at a higher level of football in every single season of his career than Kodjia has.

Kodjia's Championship record last season was 19 goals in 45 games, Ayew scored 7 goals in 30 games in the Premier League.  Given all of the "other" elements here (Ayew playing in a comparatively much worse team and against much stronger competition), I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Ayew would have a chance of scoring 19 goals in the Championship playing as a striker.

I think the chances Ayew has missed this season suggest he wouldn't score that many. He has one bundled in goal against a league 2 side so far. 

Even last year, he scored a few great goals but never looked like he could be prolific. 

On 6 September 2016 at 13:13, Butterfingers said:

Bristol fans don't seem able to comprehend that money in the bank doesn't benefit them, be it £7mil,  £11mil or £15mil.

Well at the rate that Mark Ashton fella finds low cost talent....it might benefit them.

Â