Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not a knock bud, just an observation! I really appreciate your efforts here. 

I think the "not prolific" thing is a bit of a misnomer. I understand what you're saying, he's not Robbie Fowler, but I also appreciate that most decent forwards need 4/5 chances to score a goal. Christian Benteke was the same, but he also had that uncanny ability to create a goal out of nothing. Often at crucial moments. 

From our perspective let's say Kodjia is in place of Ayew for these last few games, directly or indirectly. Ayew has had maybe 7/8 semi-decent to stonewall chances in that time. Let's say, for hypothetical arguments sake that Kodjia only buries one of those, against Bristol City before half time. How does that game end up? Say he scores another against Huddersfield, how many points better off are Aston Villa in that time frame? How about Kodjia instead of Koz*k against Derby, how does that game play out?

I'm not expecting him to be a world beater, the price has been an irrelevance to me all along. I feel like to us, just being a decent Championship goalscorer will move us forward leaps and bounds. We're not totally reliant on him either, Gestede, McCormack, Ayew and perhaps Grealish are all capable of carrying some of the burden. Arguably McCormack is the most complete forward in the division. 

Basically, from what I've seen and heard he just works for us. Literally and metaphorically. 

Maybe. I doubt many of us have seen him yet aren't necessarily believing a Bristol City fan who is posting about Kodjia. 

To me, he sounds remarkably like Ayew. Needs a whole host of chances to score but will score a fair few over a season.

He's had one season in English football. One. It's a big gamble for me - hope it comes off. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Maybe. I doubt many of us have seen him yet aren't necessarily believing a Bristol City fan who is posting about Kodjia. 

To me, he sounds remarkably like Ayew. Needs a whole host of chances to score but will score a fair few over a season.

He's had one season in English football. One. It's a big gamble for me - hope it comes off. 

How many 20 goal a season players need "a whole host of chances"?  How many chances do you think that lowly Bristol City made?

Bristol wanted more than £10mil for him, he had 3 years on a contract remaining.  For me the £11mil was about right in todays market for a player whose club didn't want to sell and who was tied in for 3 years.

Every signing is a gamble, regardless of the fee involved.  Kodjia is better than what we have so has improved the side.  Our options were limited in who we could bring in, with us being a championship side.  For me, it was critical that we bought in a striker.  Hernandez fell through so what options were left?  Maybe the Notts Forest kid but isn't that just as big a gamble given his injury?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I'm not knocking him. I answer all of your points and his quite thoroughly in the post you quoted.

Ayew has never scored 20 goals in a season. He hasn't even looked like he might do that. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

How many 20 goal a season players need "a whole host of chances"?  How many chances do you think that lowly Bristol City made?

Bristol wanted more than £10mil for him, he had 3 years on a contract remaining.  For me the £11mil was about right in todays market for a player whose club didn't want to sell and who was tied in for 3 years.

Every signing is a gamble, regardless of the fee involved.  Kodjia is better than what we have so has improved the side.  Our options were limited in who we could bring in, with us being a championship side.  For me, it was critical that we bought in a striker.  Hernandez fell through so what options were left?  Maybe the Notts Forest kid but isn't that just as big a gamble given his injury?

We made plenty of chances last season, even if we finished 18th.

Just because we finished in a low position doesn't mean we didn't make the chances. Our issue at the back was the main reason we did badly.

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not knocking him. I answer all of your points and his quite thoroughly in the post you quoted.

Ayew has never scored 20 goals in a season. He hasn't even looked like he might do that. 

Indeed. Ayew has not looked like a 20 goal a season player at any level he has played at professionally. 

38 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

We made plenty of chances last season, even if we finished 18th.

Just because we finished in a low position doesn't mean we didn't make the chances. Our issue at the back was the main reason we did badly.

He got 19 goals.  One less than the divisions top scorer.  If he gets 19 again this season, he can miss as many as he wants.

it is very rare for strikers not to miss chances, hence 19 or 20 goals being considered an excellent tally.

You also failed to mention that he scored goals out of nothing that no one else in your side would have scored.  the one balances out the other.

If strikers convert all their chances, they'll be on 40 or 50 goals a season.  That is why 20 is always considered an excellent return.

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

He got 19 goals.  One less than the divisions top scorer.  If he gets 19 again this season, he can miss as many as he wants.

it is very rare for strikers not to miss chances, hence 19 or 20 goals being considered an excellent tally.

You also failed to mention that he scored goals out of nothing that no one else in your side would have scored.  the one balances out the other.

If strikers convert all their chances, they'll be on 40 or 50 goals a season.  That is why 20 is always considered an excellent return.

I didn't fail to mention that at all, I have said it multiple times. Perhaps you need to go back and read my posts, rather than picking and choosing which bit you want and making untrue assertions about my club.

Careful now with the aggressive "my club" stuff James, you are in bandit territory ;)

He honestly sounds like Benteke to me, if you've seen much of him? One would assume a poor man's Benteke, but very similar in style and ability traits. Though not as good in the air?

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I didn't fail to mention that at all, I have said it multiple times. Perhaps you need to go back and read my posts, rather than picking and choosing which bit you want and making untrue assertions about my club.

I have read your posts.  I have interpreted them as stinking of bitterness.

You have begrudgingly accepted that he's half decent and then by the same token suggested that he's limited, has baron spells, needs a high ratio of chances and then you suggested that we've grossly overpaid and that you are laughing all the way to the bank.

Go and enjoy your £11 million being spent "behind the scenes" if that's what matters to you.  I'm more than happy paying £11 million for an international striker who got 19 goals last season for a side that finished 18th.

I do hope people aren't expecting to add Kodjia's 19 to McCormack's 21 and Gestede's 22.  It doesn't work like that.  These players got their goals as the main striker in their respective teams last time out*.  They'll find a level here and we should be fine for goals.  But we're not going to have 3 main prolific strikers all getting 20 apiece ... prove me wrong guys, please!  :D 

* Well, Gestede had Rhodes alongside him too ...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yeah stop disrespecting us with your well thought out, well presented views on a player you have fond memories of......splitter.

Well thought out?

The only well thought out thing about the posts is that every time he gives Kodjia a bit of credit, there is a sting in the tail.

Whatever possessed you to think they were well thought out anyway?  All I see is a desperation to quote people saying that they'd have accepted less than £11 million for him.  That is not well thought out, it is petty.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

I do hope people aren't expecting to add Kodjia's 19 to McCormack's 21 and Gestede's 22.  It doesn't work like that.  These players got their goals as the main striker in their respective teams last time out*.  They'll find a level here and we should be fine for goals.  But we're not going to have 3 main prolific strikers all getting 20 apiece ... prove me wrong guys, please!  :D 

* Well, Gestede had Rhodes alongside him too ...

It doesn't matter where the goals come from.  having Kodjia in there will help create for others as well.  defenders can mark Gestede and read the paper at the same time.  having someone with presence and movement will create space for others.

4 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Well thought out?

The only well thought out thing about the posts is that every time he gives Kodjia a bit of credit, there is a sting in the tail.

Whatever possessed you to think they were well thought out anyway?  All I see is a desperation to quote people saying that they'd have accepted less than £11 million for him.  That is not well thought out, it is petty.

Well that's the beauty of opposing views right, we can disagree about things :) I see no bitterness in his posts. I think his original posts at least give a pretty fair view of him but hey it's only his opinion on a player he's seen play more than the vast majority of us. Far be it from me to interject in you getting all angry and stuff, you carry on. If you were actually interested I think the thing that 'possessed me' was my moderate viewpoint.

Â