Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

16 hours ago, striker said:

No, no, no. Not trying to get at you at all although I can see how it could be interpreted so sorry for that. I just follow two teams which is all it is.

Can't wait to see Kodjia play. It could be that JamesBCFC might have to admit that Kodjia was a steal by the end of the season. :) 

It is a possibility, but I do doubt it.

Even before the whole 'asking not to play against Scunthorpe' thing came out, I don't recall a single comment from any of our fans suggesting we should have got more from the sale.

7 million and thank you very much .

above is a post from our forum back in June when he was linked with Wednesday

Should just slap an 11m price tag on his head. Nobody would come in for him for that much and if they do.... then well we've done amazing to make that much money on him. We don't want another Maynard situation, looking back now there won't be a single city fan who would say no to 6m for him....

another at around the same time, suggesting, even 3 months ago that £11m would be an overpayment

The question with any player sale has to be "is it enough to replace the player with someone as good, if not better" and strengthen elsewhere in the team?  I don't think £4 million is anywhere near that.  Especially as we don't want to sell, I think we should be looking at £8 million upwards

and another, I wont keep on with these otherwise it would be an incredibly long post, I will add just 1 more though, which will be my own comment from back then

I really don't think Johnson would have given the date that Kodjia will be back training (the 4th) if he was expecting him to leave soon.

As for Newcastle, if they were interested we can change what we ask for based on their other signings this summer and our need for him. If they came sniffing I'd be telling them £15m plus add ons. Don't think he's worth that much, but in the market we have right now its a reasonable price to put on him

at the time Kodjia was away on international duty and there was speculation of a bid from Newcastle, hence the bit about training (this was at the start of July).

I hope he does well, only so we can get that extra 4 million in the clauses, and may even get a bit extra from the sell on

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I find it odd that a player who scored 20 goals wasn't rated higher. Have Bristol City had lots of goal scorers over the last few years and just been a bit spoilt. 

We had Benteke and were all gutted when he finally went.

Yes and no, we had a terrible side of journeymen for a few years, then after relegation found ourselves bottom of League 1 at Christmas. We ended that season with the 3rd highest goal scoring partnership in the country behind Sturridge and Suarez and another pair I can't remember. One of our 2 strikers then left the club for little more than £1m after scoring 20 odd goals in the league.

Our promotion season in league 1 didn't have a single extremely prolific striker (though Aaron Wilbraham of all people scored more than 20 in all competitions) but a several players who all got a fair share- Aden Flint (a defender) was our second top scorer with 15, including a hattrick on the final day, with a volleyed rabona. Kieran Agard (recently sold for about £400k) managed 14 goals, Matt Smith (not Dr Who, but a loanee from Fulham) scored 13 times in 17 games, Jay Emmanuel Thomas (left on free transfer) scored 12 and was only a bit part player, used as a sub. until injuries to Agard and Wilbraham gave him a run in the first team alongside Smith. We then had 24 more goals from our midfielders. Long story short goals were coming from everywhere.

Kodjia is a good player, but much like Baldock when he was with us in League 1, needs several chances to score. There is still doubt (mainly from fans of other clubs who saw him only 1 or 2 times) that he can replicate last seasons tally, bearing in mind he has only had 2 good seasons in his career, and that was one of them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

They don't seem to lack a good scout as far as strikers go to be fair to them.

We took Bournemouths head scout last season, then Man Utd took our scout who found Kodjia :(.

He did find us another lad who we signed for 50k in January, and got rave reviews from his debut for Plymouth on the weekend.

Edited by JamesBCFC

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I find it odd that a player who scored 20 goals wasn't rated higher. Have Bristol City had lots of goal scorers over the last few years and just been a bit spoilt. 

We had Benteke and were all gutted when he finally went.

I think it is synonymous with many fans thinking like they are playing football manager with their own club. 90% of the transfer fees between clubs seem obscene to me but I accept that my footballing brain hasn't yet caught up with the previous TV rights deal, let alone the new TV deal now in place.

I really hope Villa pay the extra £4m for Kodjia. If we do, we'll have earnt more than 20 times that amount from the increased income to the club. Whether one club has 'overpaid' another club for a player or not, fans don't benefit. It won't mean cheaper ticket prices or better pies at the selling club and most of the time the money isn't reinvested well.

Although Villa is currently a spending club, I accept that some of our new players will turn out to have been expensive, in hindsight. It's the price paid to increase the chance of the club doing better. In any case, it's not my money being spent so, even with hindsight, I've never seen the point in thinking which club has over or under paid for players. Commenting on fees before a player has kicked a ball for their new club seems even more nonsensical.

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

so over-reaction of the week goes to me then. :) All good. I was tired. The moral of my story is a variation on the don't drink and text rule I suppose, don't drive a band on a 300 mile round trip to portmeirion over the Welsh mountains to play a festival and text. Support who you want, it's a free country, ish.

Weirdo ;)

OT - I've always fancied going to No6 - how was it?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Bristol fans don't seem able to comprehend that money in the bank doesn't benefit them, be it £7mil,  £11mil or £15mil.

as far as money in the bank, we have plenty already, but are doing enormous work behind the scenes.

The aim is for the club to be self sufficient, but our owner is willing to sanction the big fees if necessary

I personally prefer the team to be right before worrying about other issues.

We lost Benteke for £32 mil last season and ended up relegated.

Look at Spurs and the money spent with the Bale money

Spurs didn't replace Bale, we didn't replace Benteke and you won't replace Kodjia.

If you need to sell to survive then the deal was good for someone who was only with you for 12 months.  12 months time though, look at your team and see how it has benefited from the sale

I have noticed that over time @JamesBCFC's posts have slowly taken a more negative tone. 

To be honest, I don't really mind. I prefer to judge a player in our colours, in our system and under our coaches. However one thing I have been pondering is the additional experience he has of the league and the country generally. 

James, I noticed you said he goes through purple patches? At what stage(s) of the season was he most prolific? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have noticed that over time @JamesBCFC's posts have slowly taken a more negative tone. 

To be honest, I don't really mind. I prefer to judge a player in our colours, in our system and under our coaches. However one thing I have been pondering is the additional experience he has of the league and the country generally. 

James, I noticed you said he goes through purple patches? At what stage(s) of the season was he most prolific? 

Here (stat table) is his scoring breakdown from last season.  Seems fairly well distributed although finishes slightly stronger than he started.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Have they? Haha, I hadn't realised, and certainly wasn't intentional.

I'm just trying to keep it balanced, he is a good player, but not prolific needing several chances per game.

He was fairly consistent I think, with one (long) spell where he netted just 2 in 17 games.

To start with he benefited from Wilbraham being a battering ram, and taking the physicality. Once Jimmy got used to the physicality he was able to play as the lone striker more effectively.

• Like 1

One last thing (for today, I think I'm close to my posting limit today already!) is going back to what I said before about offsides.

Incredible technique as it was, and I really wish to take nothing away from the goal, but he looks offside at the original cross for his goal a couple of days ago.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Have they? Haha, I hadn't realised, and certainly wasn't intentional.

I'm just trying to keep it balanced, he is a good player, but not prolific needing several chances per game.

He was fairly consistent I think, with one (long) spell where he netted just 2 in 17 games.

To start with he benefited from Wilbraham being a battering ram, and taking the physicality. Once Jimmy got used to the physicality he was able to play as the lone striker more effectively.

Not a knock bud, just an observation! I really appreciate your efforts here. 

I think the "not prolific" thing is a bit of a misnomer. I understand what you're saying, he's not Robbie Fowler, but I also appreciate that most decent forwards need 4/5 chances to score a goal. Christian Benteke was the same, but he also had that uncanny ability to create a goal out of nothing. Often at crucial moments. 

From our perspective let's say Kodjia is in place of Ayew for these last few games, directly or indirectly. Ayew has had maybe 7/8 semi-decent to stonewall chances in that time. Let's say, for hypothetical arguments sake that Kodjia only buries one of those, against Bristol City before half time. How does that game end up? Say he scores another against Huddersfield, how many points better off are Aston Villa in that time frame? How about Kodjia instead of Koz*k against Derby, how does that game play out?

I'm not expecting him to be a world beater, the price has been an irrelevance to me all along. I feel like to us, just being a decent Championship goalscorer will move us forward leaps and bounds. We're not totally reliant on him either, Gestede, McCormack, Ayew and perhaps Grealish are all capable of carrying some of the burden. Arguably McCormack is the most complete forward in the division. 

Basically, from what I've seen and heard he just works for us. Literally and metaphorically. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

so over-reaction of the week goes to me then. :) All good. I was tired. The moral of my story is a variation on the don't drink and text rule I suppose, don't drive a band on a 300 mile round trip to portmeirion over the Welsh mountains to play a festival and text. Support who you want, it's a free country, ish.

Weirdo ;)

Finally we agree on something. Yes i'm a weirdo. :P

Lets hope we don't have to ask you to drive Kodija back to Bristol. Think you will be safe enough.

Â