Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Kodjia just doesn’t seem to want it enough. With Wesley when the ball came up to him I saw him battling quality defenders to try and hold it up. With Kodjia I saw token gestures to attempt to win the ball. 

Maybe im being harsh and it’s just not his game so shouldn’t have been bought in at that situation.

But unfortunately it’s not the first time I’ve seen this kind of performance from Kodjia. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thug said:

I really don't understand some people on here.

Watch the game again.

I knew when he came on people would be on here with the usual 'lazy' comments, so I made a point of watching him specifically for his effort.

He definitely did a lot more closing down than Wes did.   The entire second half, Wes was in a huff, walking around.  This started after an incident where Wes closed down the opposing centre-half, and when the defender made a pass to an unmarked player, he turned around and was annoyed that the rest of the team weren't pushing as hard as he had done (on that one occasion!)  After that, he basically just gave up.

Kodjia made a couple of really poor touches where he just passed the ball into nowhere and put Spurs back on the attack again.  He was generally ineffective, added little more in a game where we were being dominated (surprise surprise).  I am by no means suggesting that he had a good cameo... but calling him lazy for that is well.. just lazy.

10 hours ago, Junxs said:

I must have been watching a different game, I saw him constantly running trying to win the ball but apparently it was a lazy cameo?

I don't know what people were expecting when everyone else was on the edge of our box pretty much the whole time he was on the pitch. Is it really fair to write him off completely when he was trying to win the ball off 5 players by himself. Yes there was pass he made where he tried to lay it off to someone but sold them completely short but other than that I don't think he did anything that bad. Certainly wasn't "lazy"

Certainly wasn't any worse than Wesley but I don't see anyone writing him off for the season. 

Kodjia made 6 touches in his cameo - 2 were passes from kick off, 2 touches were being caught offside (I didn't realise this counted as a touch), 1 was a pass and 1 was a weird backheeled flick thing straight to a Spurs player about 40 yards from our goal.  So, out of the 6 touches he had, 3 were bad and 2 were kick offs.  1 successful pass summed up his 20 minutes on the pitch.

All of this happened centrally too.  If you look at everything Wesley did, it's over the full width of the pitch and he played a key part in our goal.  Kodjia didn't offer anything.  He didn't close down any better than Wesley (who was poor at this), was offside twice as many times and fannied about playing some half-arsed pass straight to the opposition.  It was absolute laziness - nothing else.

The thing is that this criticism isn't anything new.  He's always been like it.  Tammy Abraham put him to shame last season, showing how effective a centre forward can be at closing down the ball and being a nuisance.  Kodjia isn't like that at all.  His strength is getting on the ball and having strength to hold it up, spin players etc.  If he isn't doing this, he doesn't really offer much which was entirely evident on Saturday.

• Like 1

Besiktas might be trying to make a move for Kodjia, which makes me wonder even more on why we didn't bring someone else in.

I don't think Kodjia has what it takes nor fits into what Smith is trying to make happen at Villa. It's no news I don't rate the guy anymore but if he's to be about as our second, he simply has to do more on the pitch.

Everyone one on a team has to go looking for the ball in prem, it's what each and every spurs player did against us and did there best to shut us down and succeeded. When you have just one player not seeking the ball out, that's when problems start, need to be pressing all game long.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Besiktas might be trying to make a move for Kodjia, which makes me wonder even more on why we didn't bring someone else in.

I don't think Kodjia has what it takes nor fits into what Smith is trying to make happen at Villa. It's no news I don't rate the guy anymore but if he's to be about as our second, he simply has to do more on the pitch.

Everyone one on a team has to go looking for the ball in prem, it's what each and every spurs player did against us and did there best to shut us down and succeeded. When you have just one player not seeking the ball out, that's when problems start, need to be pressing all game long.

Spot on Dave......some of our players do and some don't.

The ones that don't, need to learn quick or be replaced.

I knew when we was in the championship this piece of criteria would be our biggest challenge going up.....i have no reason to change my mind.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 12:35, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he’s lazy. I just think he’s shit.

He has talent in some area's.......but he is not physically inclined enough to cause problems in this division.....He doesn't hunt for the ball in the manner of sending out a message that he wants it.....he doesn't demand the ball like a shearer or a Drogba.

We do have one or two players who are happy to drift through a game.....Albert was one, but he has now gone......These types will cause us problems, we was lucky to go up with them.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Would quite happily let him go & get Sturridge or Llorente in as cover for the rest of the year

So would I, we need someone who will come in and see this as an opportunity for either a comeback or there next test and who wants to make everyone who doubted him regret they ever did.

To put it simply we need an eager beaver who is an over achiever and a punisher lol.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Could not disagree more. Unless by ability and talent you mean the occational fancy pants move. 

Well there lies a problem in appraisal......its one thing showing fancy work against lowly opposition, but the top teams, you have to work and show combative skills .....they don't just let you flaunt your talent.....they are past masters at closing down and denying you....you have to fight back or sink.

This league will seek out in our players who can cope and who can't......it might throw up some surprises.

Edited by TRO

On 12/08/2019 at 12:10, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kodjia just doesn’t seem to want it enough. With Wesley when the ball came up to him I saw him battling quality defenders to try and hold it up. With Kodjia I saw token gestures to attempt to win the ball. 

Maybe im being harsh and it’s just not his game so shouldn’t have been bought in at that situation.

But unfortunately it’s not the first time I’ve seen this kind of performance from Kodjia. 

Sadly, despite his undoubted talent.....he is lightweight.

We need a Diego Costa, type.

I hope Wesley can come close.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spot on Dave......some of our players do and some don't.

The ones that don't need to learn quick or be replaced.

I knew when we was in the championship this piece of criteria would be our biggest challenge going up.....i have no reason to change my mind.

The speed in which those Spurs players got onto us was simply on another level I think, we were unable to do anything till we were that backed up which is not the point where we need to be taking the ball.

It wouldn't of took much for our striker like Kodjia to run into our midfield and start harassing for the ball, instead he just walks around waiting for it to come to him, go fetch that bloody thing.

I think Kodjia is the one player from an old regime we need to shift, he fits the old lazy camp who became so into what they were earning. Yes hes a striker but he always expects the ball to him and won't go fight for it unless someone has made the run happen for him, that to me in the prem is a big no no, a striker has to also attempt to chase the ball, cause the opposition to make mistakes, Tammy severely highlighted what we needed in the way of a striker.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Could not disagree more. Unless by ability and talent you mean the occational fancy pants move. 

I mean more by his technical abilities.

Kodjia has scored goals Davis will never be able to score because of technical limitations.

Davis is a much better target man though and i'm sure he can be quite effective in the right system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

The speed in which those Spurs players got onto us was simply on another level I think, we were unable to do anything till we were that backed up which is not the point where we need to be taking the ball.

It wouldn't of took much for our striker like Kodjia to run into our midfield and start harassing for the ball, instead he just walks around waiting for it to come to him, go fetch that bloody thing.

I think Kodjia is the one player from an old regime we need to shift, he fits the old lazy camp who became so into what they were earning. Yes hes a striker but he always expects the ball to him and won't go fight for it unless someone has made the run happen for him, that to me in the prem is a big no no, a striker has to also attempt to chase the ball, cause the opposition to make mistakes, Tammy severely highlighted what we needed in the way of a striker.

I would imagine it will be a priority for the next window.

John McGinn has set the standard for our physicality for all to match...and that includes the striker.

A number 9 should be working the 2 centre backs, like gray and withe did.

it has to happen.

its easy to quote the top players, but Ashley Barnes and Billy Sharp as 2 lesser examples work their opposite numbers.....we have to do it.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 12:32, Tom13 said:

Embarrassment of a cameo on Saturday unfortunately. There is a good player in there but not be seen anywhere near enough lately.

He is just not physically inclined.....it could be his down fall in this league.

If he could resist a challenge better, this league could be ideal for him.

Dean Smith said " we give the ball away too cheaply"  .....He is spot on, but we did a bit of that in the championship too....this league is unforgiving.....we have to learn fast.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I mean more by his technical abilities.

Kodjia has scored goals Davis will never be able to score because of technical limitations.

Davis is a much better target man though and i'm sure he can be quite effective in the right system.

I know what you mean.....but when those technical abilities cannot be applied, because the hard working opponent denies you, your game gets negated.

The problem is physicality gets poo pooed in some quarters.......but look at Messi, Hazard closely ,they resist challenges constantly....Man City's work rate and physicality is awesome, but some folk only notice the sexy bits.

All the top teams have a physicality that must be matched....in order to apply the technical stuff.

I would think Dean is well aware.....knowing it and doing it is of course entirely different.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I know what you mean.....but when those technical abilities cannot be applied, because the hard working opponent denies you, your game gets negated.

The problem is physicality gets poo pooed in some quarters.......but look at Messi, Hazard closely ,they resist challenges constantly....Man City's work rate and physicality is awesome, but some folk only notice the sexy bits.

All the top teams have a physicality that must be matched....in order to apply the technical stuff.

I would think Dean is well aware.....knowing it and doing it is of course entirely different.

The fitness aspect will probably be why certain players sat the game out against Spurs. The sports science involved when looking at how fit players are is amazing. They get people on the treadmill and look at how efficienctly they use the air their lungs pull in and all sorts of wonderful stuff   

Edited by tinker
Typing bollox

1 hour ago, tinker said:

The fitness aspect will probably be why certain players sat the game out against Spurs. The sports science involved when looking at how fit players are is amazing. They get people on the treadmill and look at how efficienctly they use the air their lungs pull in and all sorts of wonderful stuff .

The blood transfusions before athletes compete take it all to another level, I'm not sure if it's allowed in the Premier league but if it is then I wouldn't be surprised if certain teams use it.  

Fitness is one thing......being physically inclined or up for the fight is another ( that's more mental) Its having a tendency to want to scrap for the advantage......McGinn is a perfect example but he can't do it all on his own.

Costa & Shearer was an example as strikers...... you have to have the "Eye of the Tiger" to succeed in this league....Mo Salah and Sadio Mane, just lap it up and get on with it....they take some stick....as does Aguero.

There is much to learn and do for us.

Edited by TRO

Â