Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve got a problem up front if Wesley gets injured. Kodjia made us look like we had 10 men. Smith must be fuming.

Pretty harsh, Wesley wasn't in the game at all as he was struggling up front alone. Tottenham had all the possession and we were expecting him to battle two centre backs, hold the ball up and wait to bring players into the game.

Kodjia never stood a chance coming on, he's not a target man. Davis would have been a better option however even he would have found it tough. Kodjia will be fine against weaker opposition when he has time on the ball and can cause problems.

10 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Pretty harsh, Wesley wasn't in the game at all as he was struggling up front alone. Tottenham had all the possession and we were expecting him to battle two centre backs, hold the ball up and wait to bring players into the game.

Kodjia never stood a chance coming on, he's not a target man. Davis would have been a better option however even he would have found it tough. Kodjia will be fine against weaker opposition when he has time on the ball and can cause problems.

We’ll see mate. I personally think he’s useless at this level.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thug said:

I really don't understand some people on here.

Watch the game again.

I knew when he came on people would be on here with the usual 'lazy' comments, so I made a point of watching him specifically for his effort.

He definitely did a lot more closing down than Wes did.   The entire second half, Wes was in a huff, walking around.  This started after an incident where Wes closed down the opposing centre-half, and when the defender made a pass to an unmarked player, he turned around and was annoyed that the rest of the team weren't pushing as hard as he had done (on that one occasion!)  After that, he basically just gave up.

Kodjia made a couple of really poor touches where he just passed the ball into nowhere and put Spurs back on the attack again.  He was generally ineffective, added little more in a game where we were being dominated (surprise surprise).  I am by no means suggesting that he had a good cameo... but calling him lazy for that is well.. just lazy.

I just think overall he's a poor player, wouldn't hone in specifically on his workrate. It's his game awareness and how he uses the ball that do it for me. And these were glaringly obvious in the championship. Let's be honest. He can't keep living off the 16/17 season. 

The one incident that really sticks in my mind was when he made a couple of steps towards the guy with the ball who was going to draw Kodjia on to him before playing a sideways ball. Kodj knew it, their player knew it. And Kodjia just stops as if to say 'well, pass the ball then' and he didn't. Yes we were pretty much going through the motions but I'm still going to come here and say, that was below the standards I'd expect to see in terms of application. Perhaps you all disagree. Perhaps I am remembering it wrong, or Deano sent him out with specific instructions not to close the ball down......who knows..... bur passive aggressive suggestions that this is me and others repeating tropes because of a perceived lack of application is rather pathetic imho. And wildly misplaced in this instance. This wasn't a tired player after 80mins it was the fresh legs we'd just bought on. If you are all happy with that then cool.

I must have been watching a different game, I saw him constantly running trying to win the ball but apparently it was a lazy cameo?

I don't know what people were expecting when everyone else was on the edge of our box pretty much the whole time he was on the pitch. Is it really fair to write him off completely when he was trying to win the ball off 5 players by himself. Yes there was pass he made where he tried to lay it off to someone but sold them completely short but other than that I don't think he did anything that bad. Certainly wasn't "lazy"

Certainly wasn't any worse than Wesley but I don't see anyone writing him off for the season. 

He's only been back for a week as well. 

As for the calls of why Davis wasn't on the bench instead, well you can only have one of them, I'm guessing Deano thought it would be more likely we'd be chasing the game by the time it was the need for subs; in which case Kodjia would be the better option. So for someone above^ to call that the weirdest move DS has done to date is short sighted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Very harsh criticism on here for a 15 minute cameo against the CL runners up at their place when they were running our whole team ragged. 

I think it also comes from last season tbf not just his spuds cameo. 

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve got a problem up front if Wesley gets injured. Kodjia made us look like we had 10 men. Smith must be fuming.

We looked like we had 10 men before he came on.  The substitution made no difference.

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think it also comes from last season tbf not just his spuds cameo. 

Well that's just it. He was absolutely fine last season, especially when he was given a run of games in his preferred position when Abraham was out - he was scoring for fun and playing well.

Some fans are making up things that aren't true rather than just admitting they don't like him for whatever reason.

He had a few lackluster performances under Bruce when he came back from that double injury period, seems some decided then that he was finished and refuse to change their mind despite a good season last year

16 hours ago, wilko154 said:

That is not strickly true.....balls were played in to him, with a defender coming in late ample time for first touch, but the touch was poor......Its Early days, but the observations are there to see. It was a tough call for him no doubt, but some of the poor quality was of his own making.

Its not too much to ask to win headers either, but he was second to most of them......some things are basic and should be right from day 1.

I must admit, I was expecting to see more from Him.....but I accept, he needs time to settle.

9 hours ago, Thug said:

I really don't understand some people on here.

Watch the game again.

I knew when he came on people would be on here with the usual 'lazy' comments, so I made a point of watching him specifically for his effort.

He definitely did a lot more closing down than Wes did.   The entire second half, Wes was in a huff, walking around.  This started after an incident where Wes closed down the opposing centre-half, and when the defender made a pass to an unmarked player, he turned around and was annoyed that the rest of the team weren't pushing as hard as he had done (on that one occasion!)  After that, he basically just gave up.

Kodjia made a couple of really poor touches where he just passed the ball into nowhere and put Spurs back on the attack again.  He was generally ineffective, added little more in a game where we were being dominated (surprise surprise).  I am by no means suggesting that he had a good cameo... but calling him lazy for that is well.. just lazy.

Last season I mentioned a few times how it would be great if we had access to stats about how far players have run in a game to help dispel (or confirm) some of these "lazy" accusations. Not just with Kodjia.

Now that we're back in the prem we may well have access to those kinds of stats.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Last season I mentioned a few times how it would be great if we had access to stats about how far players have run in a game to help dispel (or confirm) some of these "lazy" accusations. Not just with Kodjia.

Now that we're back in the prem we may well have access to those kinds of stats.

We would have to use someone as a baseline. For that I would either say el ghazi or mings. Mings because midfielders run more so would be unfair for a striker. He also makes forward runs which would bump the numbers up a bit. El Ghazi because whilst he tracks back he doesn't do it every time as he is often looking to break on the counter. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

We would have to use someone as a baseline. For that I would either say el ghazi or mings. Mings because midfielders run more so would be unfair for a striker. He also makes forward runs which would bump the numbers up a bit. El Ghazi because whilst he tracks back he doesn't do it every time as he is often looking to break on the counter. 

Yeah of course. In isolation they'd mean nothing.

It was more for stuff last season like people accusing Whelan of not running anywhere and they'd prefer BB because he gets around more. 

I'd have loved some stats to show if that was actually true or not.

Stuff like that.

In this scenario you could compare how much ground Kodjia covers vs Wesley, for example.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah of course. In isolation they'd mean nothing.

It was more for stuff last season like people accusing Whelan of not running anywhere and they'd prefer BB because he gets around more. 

I'd have loved some stats to show if that was actually true or not.

Stuff like that.

In this scenario you could compare how much ground Kodjia covers vs Wesley, for example.

Well you would want to know whether wes was being lazy as well. Last game though I thought kodjia was getting around quite a lot. This was not a good game for him. He needed to get the ball more and needed some support but we couldn't do either of those things so he struggled. 

Also last year whelan wasn't being lazy he just couldn't close down without being out of position the next 5 minutes he had the turning circle of an oil tanker.

• Like 1

Â