Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

That Bristol City fan view article, you could just swap out the price tag, division and the name for Christian Benteke and it would read how I'd describe him. Always offside, we were a stepping stone, should have squared it more. But essentially an absolute beast of a player. If we have a championship standard Benteke in our squad now I am very excited. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, skarroki said:

That Bristol City fan view article, you could just swap out the price tag, division and the name for Christian Benteke and it would read how I'd describe him. Always offside, we were a stepping stone, should have squared it more. But essentially an absolute beast of a player. If we have a championship standard Benteke in our squad now I am very excited. 

Exactly what I thought when I read the post! 

• Like 1

Would have preferred Rhodes as I feel he would be more clinical in front of goal not needing as many chances to score but hopefully our coaches can work on the rough edges that Kodjia has to reveal a diamond.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Would have preferred Rhodes as I feel he would be more clinical in front of goal not needing as many chances to score but hopefully our coaches can work on the rough edges that Kodjia has to reveal a diamond.

You have me all kinds of confused to be fair. When did Everton buy Kodjia?

• Like 1

Fantastic strike that goal, but not something you will see from him often (just look at his goals for us last season)

imavillan is right that he will be a menace to defenders, there is an element of unpredictability to him where sometimes I'm not sure he's thought any further ahead than "get near the goal"

I don't think he will be first choice for you, as in McCormack have a proven Championship striker, and Gestede is class at this level whereas there is an element of doubt that Jimmy can replicate last seasons tally, but with regular game time I think he will get 10-15 for you.

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Fantastic strike that goal, but not something you will see from him often (just look at his goals for us last season)

imavillan is right that he will be a menace to defenders, there is an element of unpredictability to him where sometimes I'm not sure he's thought any further ahead than "get near the goal"

I don't think he will be first choice for you, as in McCormack have a proven Championship striker, and Gestede is class at this level whereas there is an element of doubt that Jimmy can replicate last seasons tally, but with regular game time I think he will get 10-15 for you.

You don't spend the kind of money we did on a second choice striker. He will start after settling into the team with Gestede coming off the bench to provide a different approach. 

1 minute ago, NashVillan said:

You don't spend the kind of money we did on a second choice striker. He will start after settling into the team with Gestede coming off the bench to provide a different approach. 

good point, it's silly money for a backup, do feel Gestede is the better striker, but they are different types.

In any case there's no excuse for you to not score bucket loads with the attacking options you have, arguably the best forward players in the league.

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I remember when Benteke signed we were told he was rough around the edges and wouldn't be a starter.

Kodjia is very, very rough around the edges, but there is quality in there. Not to the extent of Benteke though.

About 6 months ago he was described as "tactically like an 18 year old" by Lee Johnson, and it really isn't an unfair comment. Jonathan didn't come through a clubs academy and so hasn't had the football upbringing that most in this league will have had, he is tactically naïve but if you can get past that and teach him the offside rule he will score plenty.

He isn't clinical though, so good job you create lots of chances.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Kodjia is very, very rough around the edges, but there is quality in there. Not to the extent of Benteke though.

About 6 months ago he was described as "tactically like an 18 year old" by Lee Johnson, and it really isn't an unfair comment. Jonathan didn't come through a clubs academy and so hasn't had the football upbringing that most in this league will have had, he is tactically naïve but if you can get past that and teach him the offside rule he will score plenty.

He isn't clinical though, so good job you create lots of chances.

Fair enough. You know him much more than I and I appreciate your opinion and effort in replying.

46 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

good point, it's silly money for a backup, do feel Gestede is the better striker, but they are different types.

Mate Gestede is poor. If this guy is a backup for Rudy we have well and truly had our pants pulled down.

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate Gestede is poor. If this guy is a backup for Rudy we have well and truly had our pants pulled down.

appreciate you have seen more of him than I have. But he did great in a very poor Blackburn side. I get the feeling he is one of those who is great in one league, but can't cut it at the next level (like Joe Garner, great in league 1 but poor in the Championship).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

appreciate you have seen more of him than I have. But he did great in a very poor Blackburn side. I get the feeling he is one of those who is great in one league, but can't cut it at the next level (like Joe Garner, great in league 1 but poor in the Championship).

Without looking up his stats again mate I'm sure his one stand out season at Blackburn was the exception rather than the rule. I did look up his stats a while back and that 1 season aside, i think he had scored about 20 goals in the previous 8 or so years. 

I'll admit that previous to this year I've never really watched the championship, but he looked absolutely useless in the PL, so I'm not holding to much hope for the bloke. 

Edited by av1

21 hours ago, skarroki said:

And a scorer of great goals! Resemblance is uncanny, on paper at least.

Â