Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Has he ever put the effort into any match that Tammy, who isn't even our player, routinely does? 

His off days are becoming more frequent than his on days. He just can't be bothered, and I can't be bothered with him in that mood to be honest. Picks and chooses his matches. Was Blues last time he played well?

He'd be twice the player with a better attitude. Same can be said of El Ghazi. You can see when they're going to lose the ball and when they're not. If they've got rough opposition and a soft ref they just give up possession again and again.

If Smith can get through to him, he's worth keeping, but it isn't looking good to be honest.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Has he ever put the effort into any match that Tammy, who isn't even our player, routinely does? 

His off days are becoming more frequent than his on days. He just can't be bothered, and I can't be bothered with him in that mood to be honest. Picks and chooses his matches. Was Blues last time he played well?

He'd be twice the player with a better attitude. Same can be said of El Ghazi. You can see when they're going to lose the ball and when they're not. If they've got rough opposition and a soft ref they just give up possession again and again.

If Smith can get through to him, he's worth keeping, but it isn't looking good to be honest.

I think it a fundamental flaw in their nature. It will go beyond the football pitch into their everyday lives. We all have our vitues and deficiencies. It would be very difficult for Smith to alter this, without deep psychological retraining, I think. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think it a fundamental flaw in their nature. It will go beyond the football pitch into their everyday lives. We all have our vitues and deficiencies. It would be very difficult for Smith to alter this, without deep psychological retraining, I think. 

I agree with this. Bolassie is the same.Taylor and El Ghazi too. Smith talks a lot about the importance of characters when signing players. It’s one of the keys things he looks that.

He also mentioned the work rate of Mcginn and Abraham. Why aren’t others putting in similar shifts? Most of them are not young players so if they can’t do it now they never well.  Thats why complete change of personnel is needed. It’s goes beyond ability. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the opposite. A quick look through Tammy's goals this season tells us that of his seventeen goals, three have been penalties; of the fourteen that remain, eleven have come through crosses (twelve if you count yesterday's. I haven't) - of those eleven, five have been headers.

He's a striker who gets the vast majority of his goals from being on the end of crosses. I think Kodjia is much less effective as a finisher of moves and more effective as a  player running at defences with the ball.

Totally, makes more sense playing Kodija starting wider to get some space to run at the defense, or like when we switched to 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) on sat and he was behind Tammy, picking it up between the midfield and their centre backs to run from there. Ran down a shit load of cul-de-sacs mind.

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Unless he’s on Bolasie money (maybe he is), I don’t see the point in loaning him out.

He came from Bristol City after only one good season there so doubt he is on a major salary then again this is the Tony Xia Aston Villa we are talking about so probably on about 280,000 a week

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He came from Bristol City after only one good season there so doubt he is on a major salary then again this is the Tony Xia Aston Villa we are talking about so probably on about 280,000 a week

Well this is it. He could be on £50k a week for all we know. Plausible, if Ross is on £40k ish.

If we loan him out, will the club that want him pay the full amount? Are we going to bring in someone else as a replacement (what will his wages be?) or will we look to Davis and Hogan as the next second choice strikers? 

We would also lose an option in the wide forward position. Ok some don’t like him there, fair enough. But no one has properly staked a claim for either wide positions and neither Davis or Hogan are going to do that.

I’d be inclined to keep him, use him as an impact sub/semi regular starter. We may get a bit of cash for him in the summer if he has a decent end to the season. Or Smith may decide he likes him and can use him next season.

However inconsistent he’s been, he’s probably one of only a handful of saleable assets we actually own. And to be fair he’s possibly the one asset we own that we’d miss the least.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

This would be a typical Villa loan, if Abraham were to then get injured we would be left with Abraham and Davis.

Tell him he can go in the Summer if he still wants, but we need to keep him for now. Next season we won't have the luxury of a player like Abraham and Kodjia could be vital.

Personally would bin off Bolasie and use Kodjia, Green and El Ghazi with Adomah as 4th choice. I would also give 4-4-2 a run on Saturday against Ipswich with both Abraham and Kodjia up front.

I have very mixed feelings on Kodjia.

• Technically, ok
  • Workrate and urgency questionable.

doesn't get stuck in physically and a very narcisstic player for me.

seems to have deal with the laundry lady to lighten her load.

If we are confident in getting a better replacement let him go.....but we do seem to struggle these days to get players in.

He is a player that can change a game. He likes to run at players and is very good in the box. The formation hasn't been working without jack. Maybe playing more 442 is the way while he is still injured. 

His work rate is questionable. I wouldn't sell but I can see why he would want to leave to get game time. He is Ivory Coasts striker but not for long if he doesnt get games

Â