Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

23 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

For example, if we had this much money to spend on a quick strike partner for McCormack i'd rather us have got Gayle, who incidentally was cheaper. 

Why? 

Prior to the start of this season Dwight Gayle had managed a grand total 15 goals in the last 3 seasons, in contrast Kodjia netted 19 last season.

I'm struggling to understand what would have made Gayle a better signing than Kodjia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You've moaned about him from day one. 

If you genuinely believed it was going to be one of the top players in the world then that's your foolish fault. Most sensible people realised it was Hernandez being rated highly by Dr T and we went all out to try and sign him for the manager. 

I complained about him because I thought he was a bit of a joke. I got slated for it and so I thought I'd give him a chance and listen to people's positivity about him. Now I KNOW he isn't completely genuine. He posts absolute **** on twitter and I have been proven to be spot on. Why tweet crap like that in the first place? And as for this signing. What a let down.

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I'd be annoyed too if I really believed him. Definitely worth taking the tweets with a large dose of scepticism. I don't hold it against him, he's ambitious and eager to please. 

I will hold it against him for lying to the fans. Sorry, but he didn't need to do that. He really needs to stay of Twitter.

He's spent £35m net on players for your club dude. That's discounting all the additional fees associated with spending £50m.

It doesn't make him a 'saviour', we need to see consistent results on the pitch and consistent progress off it. However to turn your nose up at him at this stage and react like this, after the shit we've been through the last 5 years, it's kind of a shame. 

You're entitled to your opinion though, can't win them all eh. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I just wish he would stay off Twitter. It causes more harm than good. I said it from day one and this has convinced me beyond all doubt. 

Anyway, back to the thread.

It's caused harm to you and seemingly you alone, you do realise that don't you? You're self harming. 

Anyway yes, back to the thread. 

Kodjia = Goals. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The 2 goals in 17 game stretch is a bit worrying

In a shit side that finished 18th in this league. He contributed 19 of their 54 goal total last season. Yeah the barren spell is a bit concerning but he's joining a Villa side that have created 50+ chances in 5 matches, I am sure he will rectify that goal drought fast. 

2 hours ago, decamoto said:

He's probably the only signing we've made this summer where I've been a bit underwhelmed. I think that this has a lot more to do with my expectations and the way I'd built up that we were getting a top (not world class) striker on the back of Tony's tweets and other business over the summer.

I'd be very happy if I was made to eat my words come next May though. 

100% this. and iirc one of tony's tweets stated that the striker was not a championship striker(assuming that tweet was concerned with Hernandez) and Kodjia was plan B

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I will hold it against him for lying to the fans. Sorry, but he didn't need to do that. He really needs to stay of Twitter.

Hopefully they'll refund you for the Suarez/Neymar/Dybala shirt you bought.

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

we should have bought andy gray's son.

Xia out

10 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Why does he always have strapping on his left hand?

The strapping is because of an injury he had before, offers his wrist some protection

14 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Probably thought

"Damn, they create a lot of chances. I'm gonna score lots of goals!"

We created plenty of chances last season too. With the amount of chances made he probably should have got nearer 30 goals!

13 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'm not writing him off, I just think we overpaid by a lot. 

Kodjia hasn't managed to score this season yet which is also worrying. 

He has been played as a winger in all games but one. In the game upfront (Wigan) he was poor for 90 minutes and still very nearly got goal at the end.

13 hours ago, Spoony said:

No one on twitter from the BCFC side seems unhappy about this. On the contrary, they're thrilled with the price.

I know nothing about him so can't really comment, but the reactions don't seem good. 

Let's put it this way I'd have been happy if he stayed, but for £15m you are welcome to him.

13 hours ago, Daweii said:

Player leaving is no longer good shock horror.. I mean he scored 20 goals for them last season, he was not the reason for their lack of fortune.

Correct, he wasn't the reason, that was our defence, but Jimmy could easily have scored many more than he did

13 hours ago, useless said:

If Bristol City had have turned down our bid their fans would have been delighted. They're talking him down as means of coming to terms with his departure.

As above, happy if he stayed, but for that money you can have him- overpaid.

13 hours ago, Daweii said:

He scored 20 goals for them last season.. They were shit last season. It appears they were expecting him to score all 60+ goals they needed to be a decent mid-table side.. 

Personally a striker that scores 20 goals in a season has done his job, it's on the other striker and the midfielders to contribute. Yeah in an ideal world a team wants a player that scores 10+ more than that but he was not their issue last season.

First- we weren't shit last season. Not in the sense that Villa were. In the first half of the season we regularly left games wondering how we had lost and not won. And in the second half of the season (since Johnson got the job) we were at playoff form, beat the playoff finalists 4-1 and the current league leaders 4-0.

11 hours ago, Daweii said:

This.. I think Bristol will miss him when they realise just how many goals he was contributing.

Their claims that he was inconsistent I don't know how many 1 in 2 strikers they have had, but you don't get much better than that at this level. 

A spell of only 2 goals in 17 (or something along those lines) yet scoring 20 is inconsistent, no?

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

19 in the league, 1 in the cup.

4 hours ago, Daweii said:

In a shit side that finished 18th in this league. He contributed 19 of their 54 goal total last season. Yeah the barren spell is a bit concerning but he's joining a Villa side that have created 50+ chances in 5 matches, I am sure he will rectify that goal drought fast. 

Again, we weren't shit. We created numerous chances in each game. Against Charlton Kodjia had about 10 chances to himself and it wasn't him who scored our goal. Against Wigan we had 20 shots just in the second half and he failed to score.

He will probably get you 14-15 goals this year if he starts most games. But I personally think the ones you had already were better, so he won't be starting every game and so won't replicate last seasons tally.

• Like 1

From what i have read on their forums...

they are delighted with the transfer figure... doesnt make him a bad player. In the grand scheme of things.. their club is not used to getting such fees above 7-8 million so to get almost double that.. they are amazed. Never they thought their players would be worth that much. He probably isnt but the fee to Villa at the moment is not a problem. Xia is happy to bankroll the club... then so be it.

He does seem to be highly rated as a player by their fans. It appears he scores 1 goal in 6-7 shots. Not too bad. Ayew hasnt scored in 20+ shots. Tonev shots dont come back down to earth. 

His record at Angers isnt as good as he was primarily being played on the wing. 

I think he will be a better finisher to us than Ayew will so it is an upgrade. Was there better for the price? probably... are they willing to come? obviously not. We got whats best for us right now. If he can help us get the Premier League.. then thats job well done. 

----------------------------Kodjia-----------------------------

Adomah--------------McCormack------------Grealish

Rudy and Ayew as back up.. but i am expecting Ayew to be gone by the end of the window. 

9 hours ago, limvillian said:

Anyone who actually thought even for a second that we ( A championship club) were actually going to sign a world class player wants their head examined. Regardless of what Tony said I think 99.99% of the Villa following knew that wasn't possible.

Agreed....add in the act that his use of English isnt perfect too

Â