Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

How many starting left?

This is going by whoscored, by the way.

5 in 15 as a striker
4 in 7 on the left
2 in 2 on the right

But obviously this doesn't tell the full story.
-Some goals were scored after changes were made, therefore his starting position may not be relevant (Example: Fulham)
-Some goals were from the penalty spot, which again means his starting position is not relevant (Example: QPR)
-Some goals were scored after a tactical change in game - yes, Bruce makes them. (Example: Reading)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I didn't say that - I said it's too early to judge Bjarnason (4 games?).  Infer what you like, though :rolleyes:

It's too early to judge his potential and what he can do. But in the last game he made less passes than Kodjia. Yet one is called greedy and selfish and the other nothing is said. Hogan made 1 pass and gets nothing really said about him, in fact he gets excused for it. 

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's too early to judge his potential and what he can do. But in the last game he made less passes than Kodjia. Yet one is called greedy and selfish and the other nothing is said. Hogan made 1 pass and gets nothing really said about him, in fact he gets excused for it. 

You can't characterise a player over 3 or 4 games (although we do our best here on VT B)) - therefore, I'm not going to call Bjarnason or Hogan intrinsically "selfish" based on **** all sample data.

Kodjia has been doing it all season.

(But yes, Hogan barely got the ball last game so comparing the two is **** bonkers.  Expected - but bonkers). 

Don't think you need a lot of sample data. I'm looking at one game. One player who tried to pass to his teammates more than others was labeled selfish and greedy during this one game. 

Why can't I compare Hogan and Kodjia? Kodjia has played that lone striker role and still managed to complete more than 1 pass in a game. 

There was also a few times where he had adomah or Green breaking into space beyond him, glaringly obvious passes to make, and he turned back and passed it to a full back.

His decision making is shocking, and he can't hold the ball up.

I like him when he's on it, but he has a lot of faults.

• Like 4

He isn't a central striker for me. He doesn't hold the ball up well enough, wins nothing in the air and he doesn't have the awareness to play others in around him. He is a much better player coming in from the left where he has had most of his best games for us.

For now though he has to play as we have no other options. I will be hung drawn and quartered by some for suggesting this but I think Gabby would be a very useful option at present as he is arguably the most adept we have at leading the line and can create space for others by occupying the centre backs.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He isn't a central striker for me. He doesn't hold the ball up well enough, wins nothing in the air and he doesn't have the awareness to play others in around him. He is a much better player coming in from the left where he has had most of his best games for us.

Thanks, Mark you saved me some time. He was terrible today, where is Gestede when you need him. :P

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

For now though he has to play as we have no other options. I will be hung drawn and quartered by some for suggesting this but I think Gabby would be a very useful option at present as he is arguably the most adept we have at leading the line and can create space for others by occupying the centre backs

I still think your best finisher should be your main striker. 

His weaknesses are where we need a good coach or plan. As a central striker, he doesn't have to just play in the middle. Henry would drift wide, collymore used to do it for us as well. Kodjia could still drift and start in wider positions. 

We should also limit the amount of long balls we play to him, due to his poor aerial presence. 

• Like 1

He falls over quite a lot doesn't he?

Really isn't a target man, lone striker.

But with him refusing to pass the ball he doesn't really work in a 2 either.

Bit strange player, still think he's OK. But obviously not close to what we paid for him.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I still think your best finisher should be your main striker. 

His weaknesses are where we need a good coach or plan. As a central striker, he doesn't have to just play in the middle. Henry would drift wide, collymore used to do it for us as well. Kodjia could still drift and start in wider positions. 

We should also limit the amount of long balls we play to him, due to his poor aerial presence. 

I think he can play in a two up top, which I guess is the plan with bringing Hogan in, but he just doesn't have the attributes for me to lead a line on his own. I actually think the manager quickly identified that and actually stated in interviews that he thinks Kodjia is at his best when coming in from out wide.

It is fine saying that he should be told/allowed to drift into wider positions and I think you are right but if he does that at present due to injuries we have no one to fill the space in the middle as Hogan, Gabby, RHM are all injured.

As with most of this squad though the main thing they all need to consistently see the best of them is time playing together, time to get to know each others games and time to build up understandings meaning when players do drift in to other positions then those around them will fill the spaces they vacate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think he can play in a two up top, which I guess is the plan with bringing Hogan in, but he just doesn't have the attributes for me to lead a line on his own. I actually think the manager quickly identified that and actually stated in interviews that he thinks Kodjia is at his best when coming in from out wide.

It is fine saying that he should be told/allowed to drift into wider positions and I think you are right but if he does that at present due to injuries we have no one to fill the space in the middle as Hogan, Gabby, RHM are all injured.

As with most of this squad though the main thing they all need to consistently see the best of them is time playing together, time to get to know each others games and time to build up understandings meaning when players do drift in to other positions then those around them will fill the spaces they vacate.

Hard for players to get used to things when we have a manager who seems to make things up as he goes. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hard for players to get used to things when we have a manager who seems to make things up as he goes. 

Maybe mate and I understand that you and others have a downer on him at the moment.

I think in the case of Kodjia though you can't adapt him to being able to lead a line on his own and you can't blame the manager for the fact that Gabby, Hogan and RHM are all out injured leaving him with no options.

I'd like to think with the pressure pretty much off in terms of relegation and making the play offs Bruce can use this period to settle on a formation and line up ,barring injuries/suspensions, and we can see some consistency and allow the chance to build relationships on the field and a team to evolve. That is for another thread though.

• Like 1

Atrocious again. Slows everything down with his inability to pass. Has he ever played a 1 touch pass?

Not only does every attack end with him running into someone, he is the laziest bloke I've ever seen. 

We will not get promoted next year with Kodjia in the team. The cons far outweighs the pros, he just isn't a team player

Â