Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

56 minutes ago, deeps said:

My opinion on it being a panic buy. I refuse to go by YouTube videos.

If this was the guy we really needed he would of signed weeks ago when we were looking at him before. We were put off by the price tag and now reportedly paying more than we were first quoted?

Everything about this deal/situation screams flop to me.

You honestly think that it's purely up to the club as to when players are signed?

Strikers are a unique breed as good strikers always have options and their agents will wait until the best deal comes along, which is often at the end of the window. Hernandez, Kodjia, Wells, Bamford have been linked with umpteen clubs this summer. Hernandez may have been our no.1 target, but there's nothing to say that dropping into the Championship to play for us was his no.1 option.  Why do you think thus far only one of those 4 players have actually moved?

Credit the club as we've obviously kept irons in the fire with a few players as a contingency for not landing the top target.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As messed up as it is, people knowing we have money to spend was/is in conjunction with money going crazy in the football league, AND our incredible fall from grace was always going to work against us in some way. However if we are serious about getting back to the Premier League and fulfilling even a fraction of Xias ambition for the club, we are going to have to have the piss taken for a bit, until we regenerate our respect and top players actually WANT to sign for us again because we are Aston Villa.

It's not the most convenient situation, but it is what it is. In the beginning, Man City had to throw ridiculous sums around just to get "good" players to get to the point where they could then target "great" players who started buying into the overall projectt and not just the pound signs.

It is obviously sad that some players still aren't convinced and the highest bidder always wins, but it's business, and people have to look out for themselves.

I am partially convinced that initially XIA et all did not necessarily want it to get out how much financial muscle we potentially had, exactly to avoid the current situation, being held to ransom.

Absolutely 100 % this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeps said:

I think he will be a flop. Just my opinion, nothing more.

The fact he is plan "B" isn't great. We were linked all summer, was scared off by the fee and now gone back?

That's the Spirit !

As for Plan B - firstly, we don't know that, secondly, why is a problem ?  A problem would be no Plan B.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I don't get this"panic buy" business.

You have your top targets, and if you can't get them you move down the preference list until you can get second, third or fourth choice.

The only alternative is not signing anyone, or just buying anyone you can get your hands on.

All indications are that JK has been one of the strikers on our list. 

Aw, stop talking sense, will you?

Ruins the whole thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

When we get promoted it'll be the bargain of the summer. We have spent £14m on McScoremack and £15m on Kodjia to do just that. We have goals in the team now and the players around them to be solid at the back too. Promotion via first or second should be the aim now with a top 5 finish the minimum aim. Also we'll probably spend more again in January. It's time to be optimistic as a Villa fan which was anathema to us for a long time now. 

I fail to see how getting promoted with make £17m on a "raw" 26 year old will make it a bargain.

It is all well and good stating it is not my money but when your owner gets bored and withdraws his backing and your club ends up **** then people suddenly become accountants.

I think 15m for this guy is utter madness, yet alone with the add ons. Utter madness.

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking news: We are delighted to announce the signing of Jonathan Kodjia from <a href="https://twitter.com/bcfctweets">@bcfctweets</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WelcomeJonathan?src=hash">#WelcomeJonathan</a> <a href="https://t.co/CQwbWbyYlj">pic.twitter.com/CQwbWbyYlj</a></p>&mdash; Aston Villa FC (@AVFCOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/770618440088334336">August 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 4

Â