Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

12 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Yeah but RDM had us in the relegation zone having won one game in those 11. We've already won many more under Bruce.

It depends how you look at it though. 11 games is so hard to judge, we were definitely playing decent football under him but the results were bad / unlucky / players still gelling etc. Obviously things would have picked up, especially with a run of fixtures against teams in the bottom half coming up, which Bruce immediately benefited from. Also you have to remember we played all 3 promoted teams in those 11 games under RDM and didn't lose to any of them, also played Derby, Shef W, Preston who were all in and around the play offs. On reflection draws against these sides weren't that bad, although obviously we didn't realise at the time these teams were the strongest in the division.

I think a fairer comparison between the 2 managers would be to compare RDM 11 games after his transfer window in August to Bruces 11 games after his transfer window in January.  

RDM picked up 8 points.  Bruce picked up 10 points. Similar tally but you could argue RDM had the tougher fixtures. 

Really dont think there was much between the managers performances last year, and definitely think RDM was unlucky with the fixtures playing all the best teams and expecting to win. 

Not trying to argue that RDM is better than Bruce, but just trying to bring a bit of balance as I see a lot of RDM bashing and claims that Bruce did much better. 

• Like 4

I don't buy it I'm sorry. You can't ignore the difference Bruce made up to January and you can't just dismiss that under Di Matteo we only beat the worst team in the division by far. Rotherham were nineteen points behind the next shittest team. 

I'll agree on one thing, comparisons are dangerous and over tidy sometimes, just like ignoring things that did happen to fit in a very narrow analysis of events.

How anyone can say there was not much between the managers is astounding though. You don't have to like Bruce or think he's anything but limited to appreciate be at least stabilised us while RDM had us soft, weak and vulnerable and sliding in an ominous direction. At the very least Bruce has stabilised us. I'd say there's a fair debate whether he can push us on and that's obviously what's going round in circles at the moment even though we've played just one game so far of the new season.

10 hours ago, Junxs said:

It depends how you look at it though. 11 games is so hard to judge, we were definitely playing decent football under him but the results were bad / unlucky / players still gelling etc. Obviously things would have picked up, especially with a run of fixtures against teams in the bottom half coming up, which Bruce immediately benefited from. Also you have to remember we played all 3 promoted teams in those 11 games under RDM and didn't lose to any of them, also played Derby, Shef W, Preston who were all in and around the play offs. On reflection draws against these sides weren't that bad, although obviously we didn't realise at the time these teams were the strongest in the division.

I think a fairer comparison between the 2 managers would be to compare RDM 11 games after his transfer window in August to Bruces 11 games after his transfer window in January.  

RDM picked up 8 points.  Bruce picked up 10 points. Similar tally but you could argue RDM had the tougher fixtures. 

Really dont think there was much between the managers performances last year, and definitely think RDM was unlucky with the fixtures playing all the best teams and expecting to win. 

Not trying to argue that RDM is better than Bruce, but just trying to bring a bit of balance as I see a lot of RDM bashing and claims that Bruce did much better. 

I liked RDM, hindsight now suggests he did well against the top teams in the league.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

By Bruce's comments Kodi could be out for a while yet. They'd hoped after the international break but seems he's sore still.

Yeah, noticed that too. It doesn't sound promising, rather disappointing. Hogan has to get going.

14 hours ago, Junxs said:

To me, the difference was really highlighted with the result at Colchester against the result at Luton last year. 2 very similar sort of games and 2 completely different results and performances. One was a shambles and one was professional and that's the difference for me.

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

By Bruce's comments Kodi could be out for a while yet. They'd hoped after the international break but seems he's sore still.

If that is the case then a new forward is essential if we want promotion. It will take Kodjia a while to get up to speed, and I am concerned that Gabby and Hogan are our only two senior strikers. I am not sure that is enough to get promotion, unless the other areas of the team weigh in with goals.

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Don't know why, but I'm worried about this. Just a bad feeling his recovery is going to drag on. I hope it doesn't reduce his physical capability in the long term. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Don't know why, but I'm worried about this. Just a bad feeling his recovery is going to drag on. I hope it doesn't reduce his physical capability in the long term. 

Don't forget what happened to Amavi after injury.

Is the reason Bruce has had the time he has. How many points did he win for us last year as a direct result of his goals? The amount of 1-0s and 2-0s with Kodjia as the only scorer was staggering. But even when winning these games we played with the same style we still do today, Kodjia papered over the earthquake sized cracks that are so obvious in our style of play and tactics under the prehistoric spud

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Is the reason Bruce has had the time he has. How many points did he win for us last year as a direct result of his goals? The amount of 1-0s and 2-0s with Kodjia as the only scorer was staggering. But even when winning these games we played with the same style we still do today, Kodjia papered over the earthquake sized cracks that are so obvious in our style of play and tactics under the prehistoric spud

I looked into this, and Bruce's success at Aston Villa directly correlates to when Kodjia was fit and with the team. In January of this year, we lost Kodjia to the african cup of nations. Our form proceeded to dip hard. Kodjia came back, but if I remember right he was carrying a knock or something stalled him from jumping back into the first team so we continued to struggle. Kodjia then was fit again, and we went on a ridiculous run that made a lot of us believe we could make the playoffs. BUT then Kodjia breaks his leg, and our form falls off a cliff again. Bruce's style of play is so dependent on having a big man like Kodjia up top, so I am kind of shocked we haven't signed anyone as a back up to Kodjia. Hell, I'd even think Kozak would probably do better than Hogan in Bruce's team.

03dfb231c8e2283e8ae3d7b517c21d15.png

Edited by Czechlad
adding photo
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I looked into this, and Bruce's success at Aston Villa directly correlates to when Kodjia was fit and with the team. In January of this year, we lost Kodjia to the african cup of nations. Our form proceeded to dip hard. Kodjia came back, but if I remember right he was carrying a knock or something stalled him from jumping back into the first team so we continued to struggle. Kodjia then was fit again, and we went on a ridiculous run that made a lot of us believe we could make the playoffs. BUT then Kodjia breaks his leg, and our form falls off a cliff again. Bruce's style of play is so dependent on having a big man like Kodjia up top, so I am kind of shocked we haven't signed anyone as a back up to Kodjia. Hell, I'd even think Kozak would probably do better than Hogan in Bruce's team.

03dfb231c8e2283e8ae3d7b517c21d15.png

Lewis Grabban..

Balls!

Blow for Aston Villa as striker Jonathan Kodjia suffers injury setback

Boss Steve Bruce says patience is required as the hitman faces a prolonged spell on the sidelines

Jonathan Kodjia has suffered an injury setback and will be back later than expected, boss Steve Bruce has confirmed.

The 27-year-old was Villa’s top goalscorer last season but he hasn’t played a competitive game since breaking his ankle in April.

Bruce thought the striker would be close to returning to fitness by the end of August but he’s now facing another month on the sidelines.

“We hope he will be back in the next three or four weeks,” Bruce said.

“We thought he would be back before now, it is fair to say he had a setback.

“At the end of the day he has a fracture.

“We have to be patient and wait for that fracture to heal.“He has got two or three pins in the fracture too.

“We thought he would be back by now but he is still a few weeks away.”

Bruce is still looking for a loan signing to help cover Villa up top as Scott Hogan’s fitness issues are a concern and Gabby Agbonlahor is also out with a short-term back problem.

“If we can do something in the market, it is the top end of the pitch where there is a concern,” Bruce added.

“It’s been a disappointing time for Scotty because four or five times now he has had to come off injured.

“It is fair to say he has not really got started with one thing and another.

“Let’s hope his ankle is not so bad and he gets a run injury-free.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-jonathan-kodjia-update-13508915.amp?service=responsive

Â