Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fitness is one thing......being physically inclined or up for the fight is another ( that's more mental) Its having a tendency to want to scrape for the advantage......McGinn is a perfect example but he can't do it on his own.

Costa & Shearer was an example as strikers...... you have to have the "Eye of the Tiger" to succeed in this league.

There is much to learn and do for us.

said ages ago in the transfer thread that we need someone like Costa/Milner or hell even Giroud/Mitrovic. I know people go on about premier league experience mattering/not mattering but a tough old git who will quite happily go about his business while being kicked,shoved & generally thrown around without a care in the world who will happily dish out the same can make a hell of a difference. We do have Mings at the back that is somewhat like this but further forwards we are a little weak when it comes to players you wouldn't want to start a fight with.

People mentioned Mcginn there too but 12 months ago he was playing in one of the least competitive leagues in the world and whilst he may have a concrete arse he isn't exactly imposing as a figure

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

said ages ago in the transfer thread that we need someone like Costa/Milner or hell even Giroud/Mitrovic. I know people go on about premier league experience mattering/not mattering but a tough old git who will quite happily go about his business while being kicked,shoved & generally thrown around without a care in the world who will happily dish out the same can make a hell of a difference. We do have Mings at the back that is somewhat like this but further forwards we are a little weak when it comes to players you wouldn't want to start a fight with.

People mentioned Mcginn there too but 12 months ago he was playing in one of the least competitive leagues in the world and whilst he may have a concrete arse he isn't exactly imposing as a figure

I was more referring to McGinn's mental approach......Andy Gray was only 5'10.....David Speedie was small.

Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles, were not very big in stature, but you wouldn't want to tell them.

I get your point, but its more about approach than size.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Fitness is one thing......being physically inclined or up for the fight is another ( that's more mental) Its having a tendency to want to scrap for the advantage......McGinn is a perfect example but he can't do it all on his own.

Costa & Shearer was an example as strikers...... you have to have the "Eye of the Tiger" to succeed in this league....Mo Salah and Sadio Mane, just lap it up and get on with it....they take some stick....as does Aguero.

There is much to learn and do for us.

Your right, I'm pretty sure our latest signings have had their attitude looked at closely and will be mentally strong and having strong characters. Kodjia I'm not to sure about, think he maybe one of those characters that need a little boost to get the best out of them , maybe a lucky goal or whatever. I'm not to sure we would have got any better than him for this side of £12m , I suspect Davies will get the nod ahead of him the next time Wesley doesn't or can't play . 

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Isn’t that the wrong way round? Normally teams agree a fee then they discuss personal terms, seems a bit odd.

Most of the time but not always, occasionally a team will allow you to speak to the player while the fee is still being haggled over, just to speed up the process as much as anything.

It would be incredibly odd if we sold him now though, considering how few options we have up front.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:
isn’t that the wrong way round? Normally teams agree a fee then they discuss personal terms, seems a bit odd.

Nope, we did it with Benhrama. You approach a club for a player and they can give you permission to discuss personal terms with the player while the transfer fee negotiations are ongoing. Also you could just employ agents to discuss the terms unofficially. 

• Like 1

Perhaps we have an out of contract player, other than the usual click bait rubbish, who we feel could do a job if called on. Even so we’d be paper thin up top. Unless there are other youngsters that have impressed in the summer and are ready to step up?

Edited by DaveAV1

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

If we are selling him we must have a non-contract player lined up

We said that about a winger when Green went out on loan and the same again when Hogan went out on loan.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Absolutely. On deadline day, when many of us were 'begging' for another forward of some sort, there were plenty of finger waggers saying we didn't need anybody, and that Kodjia was 'the man' and that we would be okay. I jumped on board that train (had no option really given no signing!), especially after Smith himself said that the Premier League suited Kodjia better... We're virtually united in our support of Smith, so Kodjia must be the man (!). Would be bonkers to sell him now, and I would be surprised if this progressed any further until January at the earliest.

Edited by Raver50032

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

An injury this early to one of our strikers really hits home how weak we are in that area. 

Really think it was a mistake to just sign one forward

I actually think this may have strengthened us as Keinan Davis now has a spot on the bench.

• Like 1

Â