Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Was poor, but lacking in quality rather than effort for me. That being said, it was a very difficult situation to be put in. Think most strikers would have struggled playing for us in that second half.

• Like 2

Had perhaps the simplest job to do in the second half: If you ever get the ball, keep it for as long as possible.

Couldn't do it. Tried to lay it off immediately to an exhausted midfield.

I would have left Wesley on.

• Like 1

Just now, ozvillafan said:

Had perhaps the simplest job to do in the second half: If you ever get the ball, keep it for as long as possible.

Yeah, Wesley wasn't impressive, but Kodj was terrible.

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I wouldnt. Dont want his confidence completely shot, he was poor today, no bones about it, he was poor. Needed to have been far stronger and mobile than he was. 1st game and all that... but it was a mare for the lad. 

Edited by brummybloke

I was baffled he came on today. The only huge tactical mistake I've seen Deano do. The match was screaming for a Wesley sub and we needed hold up play. Someone to take some pressure off and get a free kick. We needed Davis. Even Stevie Wonder could see that. Bringing Kodjia on made no sense.

Kodjia simply isn't PL material. He has some ability to come off the bench with trickery and an X factor. I can value that. But the game today was not for him. He can't do any tricky stuff when we never have the ball. He doesn't have the hold up strength, or ability. 

Weird from Deano, weird. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I was baffled he came on today. The only huge tactical mistake I've seen Deano do. The match was screaming for a Wesley sub and we needed hold up play. Someone to take some pressure off and get a free kick. We needed Davis. Even Stevie Wonder could see that. Bringing Kodjia on made no sense.

Kodjia simply isn't PL material. He has some ability to come off the bench with trickery and an X factor. I can value that. But the game today was not for him. He can't do any tricky stuff when we never have the ball. He doesn't have the hold up strength, or ability. 

Weird from Deano, weird. 

He can hold the ball though. He is actually very good at it,  using his body and his arm to hold defenders off (at championship level admittedly) rolling his foot over the ball etc.

He just never bothered today, for whatever reason.

I probably stick up for him more than most in here and I have a big soft spot for him despite his brain farts from time to time.

That being said he was awful today. Absolutely awful. Half-arsed pressing, strolling around the rest of the time.

It's not like he deserves blame for the defeat, but he's earned his pelters tonight with that cameo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Weird from Deano, weird. 

Davis was not in 18 for whatever reason. Our two attacking options were Jota and Kodjia. We used both.

It is a fear to me that the lack of getting in another striker will bite us a few times between now and January. Either games we play well and dominate but can't find a killer touch and so draw and others like today when we need a clever head upfront to hold up and see out time and lose to a late goal.

Our first signing in January is obviously going to be a striker.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We barely had the ball that second half.

What was he supposed to do exactly? Tried to play it simple when he got the ball. Did nothing wrong.

Nah, bollocks. He needed to actually move. The one time he had a chance to relieve pressure, he tried some weird fancy backheel thing and just gifted possession to Spurs.

I don’t mind Kodjia, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone who comes on as sub and runs less than the person they’ve replaced. He didn’t help us at all. 

• Like 2

Poor when he came on but such a difficult game to make your premier league debut in.

The gulf in class yesterday was huge but we don't need to finish close to spurs we need to finish 17th. 

I think against the likes of bournemouth, barnsley, southampton etc.. Kodjia will show us he can contribute. 

I thought the sub was the right one. Wesley was contributing very little and we needed to try something different. 

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

Kodjia doesn’t have a chance with many on here and unfortunately if last year is anything to go by with many at the ground too.

He came on for 15 minutes when we were getting absolutely battered by the champions league finalists of last season and unsurprisingly got very little ball and lost the aerial battle against alderwiereld and Davinson Sanchez. He had nobody anywhere near him on the rare occasion he got the ball and forced to spend the majority of his time on the pitch in our own half.

Douglas Luiz was literally jogged past for their third goal but kodjia gets hammered for laziness in a game where he was feeding off absolutely nothing. I’m not sure how he was supposed to press 4 defenders and 2 midfielders on his own either as the rest of our team were pretty much camped on the edge of our own box.

Im hindsight it would have been a better game for Davis to come on as an out and out hold up player as that game was never suited to kodjia’s strengths. 

Nice to read a reasoned post.

Â