Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Ah yes, playing for a move away on the big stage of *checks notes*...Telford away in a preseason friendly.

Its where all the big transfers happen

4 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

I was one that commented so. There were 3 occasions in the 1st half where he could have played in a pass to an overlap run and chose not to to see if he could fashion a chance himself, which he didn’t. He will only ever pass if he can’t get a shot away himself. By doing so he misses countless opportunities to create very good chances for other members of the team. In my opinion this is why he will be with us for the next season as he’s not clever enough, football wise to make it at the next level.

Better than shooting straight into the defender in front of you like Davis did around the hour mark.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, I didnt see any greediness or selfish play. I certainly didn't see any glorious opportunity for him to pass to someone who was unmarked and he deciding to take on someone instead.

I did see him get tackled a couple of times as soon as he received the ball without having time to asses whats around him though - if thats what youre talking about. I find it odd that someone wouldnt be excited by that performance - especially considering how long he was injured then not looking anything but a shadow of the player he used to be when he returned at the end of last season.

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

Better than shooting straight into the defender in front of you like Davis did around the hour mark.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, I didnt see any greediness or selfish play. I certainly didn't see any glorious opportunity for him to pass to someone who was unmarked and he deciding to take on someone instead.

I did see him get tackled a couple of times as soon as he received the ball without having time to asses whats around him though - if thats what youre talking about. I find it odd that someone wouldnt be excited by that performance - especially considering how long he was injured then not looking anything but a shadow of the player he used to be when he returned at the end of last season.

I accept the comment on Davis although I wasn't commenting on him and he needs to learn a lot as well.

Football is all about opinions and yes we'll have to agree to disagree. Whilst Kodja does have some strong elements to his game he wil always frustrate because he could be a much better palyer with a bit of football nouse.

Onwards and upwards UTV.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Had a distinct feel of Not At His Best tonight I thought. 

Wasnt Telford his first start since his return. Probably less match fit than guys that finished last season

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wasnt Telford his first start since his return. Probably less match fit than guys that finished last season

I'm sure you're right (and to be clear, I'm a fan, at least compared to many on here). Just seemed a long way off the pace, is all.

I'm not so sure about kodjia. He looks good...but not with the rest of the team.

He is like jack used to be, holds onto the ball far too long ruining any quick attacks, and he completely ignores passes that will cost us easy goals this year. 

I'm not sure if he is the striker we need.

He worries me.

With the ffp troubles I'd sell if a half decent offer came in, and I'd try and get in a half decent target striker like ulloah (sp) on loan.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nigel said:

With the ffp troubles I'd sell if a half decent offer came in, and I'd try and get in a half decent target striker like ulloah (sp) on loan.

Kodjia can go, if it means grealish stays.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

I'm not so sure about kodjia. He looks good...but not with the rest of the team.

He is like jack used to be, holds onto the ball far too long ruining any quick attacks, and he completely ignores passes that will cost us easy goals this year. 

I'm not sure if he is the striker we need.

He worries me.

Good strikers arent team players though. If we gave him the bullets and he got 25 goals nobody would care

All depends him staying fit

The trouble with strikers who play it safe every single time, they dont score many goals. Though Kodjia this preseason has passed it a lot more than i'm used to see him doing in the past, yes there are times when he tries things when there is a pass on, sometimes they come off and sometimes they dont. But when they do come off he's suddenly through on goal, which is why he scores SHED loads more than any other striker on our books, you can go back as far as since Benteke actually.

The other factor is the quality of player and what he's likely to do with it that he can pass to. I'd rather Kodjia try take on the last man and go through on goal than him lay out sideways to Neil Taylor who will just end up over hitting the cross for example. There is a better chance of Kodjia getting past the last man in this scenario. Having said that, its not like Kodjia will try something ridiculous every time, but he seems to have developed an unfair reputation with a host of fans who claim this.

It was a joy watching him yesterday with some of his skill, had a good game I thought in the 2nd half. First half the whole team was rubbish. 

He played his part in 3 out of 4 goals yesterday too. Scored the first, laid it off to Hourihane who played it to Lansbury to slip in Adomah - good team goal. And for the RdL goal, he made the run which took 2 defenders with him to open up the space for De Laet.. but no, Kodjia is shit apparently. 

• Like 3

Well, he is one of our best players around, I wouldnt be sure wether he would have done better for the team last year (as some says because of his selfishness). But would you rather see Kodjia or any other striker which we had in the last couple of years (apaert from Benteke), let alone Hogan or even Grabban (who was fine).

I usually prefer powerful strikers in our side, maybe because our team has forget how to play a proper football for a while ?

Davis gave the team a boost when he came against Preston, that attack at the end of the game gave me faith on him again.

To be honest, until now weve lost Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass and added Kodjia to last season squad.

I would say the biggest lost was in Johnstone (It was really bad that "they" took him before the new takeover). 

We need couple of our youngsters to step up soon. Would Green be able to replace Snoddy? 

Can we depend on Kodjia as a winger with Davis upfront?

At the end of the day our current spine of the team are:

JJJ, James, Jack, Jonathan. Not really enough, although suddenly the midfield seem alright with Birker and Hourihane, not sure about Jedinak, I would keep him if its not having a big effect.

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Would like to see him from the bench on Saturday. Davis should be given a chance to start (If hes fit?).

I thought davis and kodjia looked good up top together before kodjia got injured again.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought davis and kodjia looked good up top together before kodjia got injured again.

Something has to change up top, Kodjia does not work up there as it stands!

His lack of ability to bring other players into the game is really hurting us; The man only passes when he has no other option, so every move breaks down with him.

We cant play the whole season like that!

Â