Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

19 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

LOL. *SOME* badly directed long balls. Go and watch the second half again without your "everything is wonderful" tinted glasses on.

Yes we won the game, yes Bruce got it right but Jesus that second half was painful. There must be a capacity to defend well and then keep control of the ball rather than punting it straight back to the opposition. You know maybe take the pressure off, slow the game down, frustrate the opposition because they can't even get the ball and not give Villa fans heart attacks.

Are we legit moaning about a 1-0 win away from home in a playoff semi-final?

I’m wondering if Kodjia is in the mindset to manage his rehabilitation and not to run through walls for the team, which is fair enough considering the injury but also not what we need in the next two games.

I did think he was unfairly called up while battling for the ball on at least two occasions though, what was that one the linesman flagged up for? looked like he received the ball and didn’t fall over when the defender bulldozed into the back of him. bizarre.

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He has a point though. You can be happy about the win and criticise how we played in that awful second half. You don’t need to decide between one or the other.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

He has a point though. You can be happy about the win and criticise how we played in that awful second half. You don’t need to decide between one or the other.

I don't agree that the second half was 'awful' or 'painful' or that other are seeing the game with rose-tinted glasses. We sat deeper than ideal, but they didn't have many clear-cut chances, and it's hardly some astonishing new feature of a football match for a team to try to hang on to a lead away from home. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

Defending a 1-0 lead in the second half of the away leg of a semi final. I'm really surprised at how many people expected us to be so much more attacking in that scenario.

We invited relentless pressure and responded with James Collins/Richard Dunne esque aimless long balls to no one for 45 minutes. It was shit. Hardly a tactical master stroke. It was more a case of Middlesbrough being woeful in the final third. Just my opinion though. I’m still happy overall with the win, you’d be mad not to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, we are acknowledging that it happened. It being a poor second half.

52 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Exactly. There must be a way to close out a game without playing attack v defence for 45 mins.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I get what you're saying, however i'm sure the gripe of many will be we could have possibly put the tie to bed with a bit more impetus.

Now imagine if we lose 2-1 at home?

All they need to do is score one and we could possibly capitulate.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

LOL. *SOME* badly directed long balls. Go and watch the second half again without your "everything is wonderful" tinted glasses on.

Yes we won the game, yes Bruce got it right but Jesus that second half was painful. There must be a capacity to defend well and then keep control of the ball rather than punting it straight back to the opposition. You know maybe take the pressure off, slow the game down, frustrate the opposition because they can't even get the ball and not give Villa fans heart attacks.

OK. Thanks for the advice. 

It’s shit that we beat boro on their own patch and pretty well neutralised their attacking plan. Everything is terrible. I’m very angry about the shit way the team played.

Is that more on message?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yesterday, when he was criticised for not trying by his teammates, he reacted by giving up altogether and having a sulk - that's simply unacceptable - he downed tools in the biggest game of our season because he had the hump that Hourihane and Chester wanted more out of him. 

For me, he either switches on in training this week, accepts the criticism he deservedly got from his teammates for not trying against Boro in the first leg and changes his attitude for the second leg - or he's replaced by Davis on the bench. Right now I'm leaning on putting Davis on the bench, but that might just be an emotional response to his emotional response yesterday. 

Good points here obe.  Tbh I didn't even notice the other players having words with him but it' a fantastic thing to see after years of accepting mediorocracy.

A lack of effort is criminal, no excuses!

Be very interesting to see how Bruce reacts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, briny_ear said:

OK. Thanks for the advice. 

It’s shit that we beat boro on their own patch and pretty well neutralised their attacking plan. Everything is terrible. I’m very angry about the shit way the team played.

Is that more on message?

Now you are just being silly. As usual.

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get what you're saying, however i'm sure the gripe of many will be we could have possibly put the tie to bed with a bit more impetus.

Now imagine if we lose 2-1 at home?

All they need to do is score one and we could possibly capitulate.

No away goal rule mate.

With regards Kodjia: I said in the match thread I wasn't happy he came on for Adomah. Kodjia is not a runner, he's not a counter-attacking player. Someone like Hogan would've been more useful (as much as it pains me to say this).

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't agree that the second half was 'awful' or 'painful' or that other are seeing the game with rose-tinted glasses. We sat deeper than ideal, but they didn't have many clear-cut chances, and it's hardly some astonishing new feature of a football match for a team to try to hang on to a lead away from home. 

It was also obviously not a tactic and just the way the game flowed.

The first thing SB said when he was collared for an interview on the touchline was that we'd gotten too deep and didn't do enough with the ball.

For all the best intentions and tactics sometimes teams get on top and once they do, it can be hard to break out, particularly when you're holding a 1-0 lead away from home in the first leg of a playoff.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No away goal rule mate.

With regards Kodjia: I said in the match thread I wasn't happy he came on for Adomah. Kodjia is not a runner, he's not a counter-attacking player. Someone like Hogan would've been more useful (as much as it pains me to say this).

I think he put Kodjia on for all the reasons he was so successful last season.

We had very little of the ball and couldn't move players up the pitch to form any kind of pressure, I think SB looked at Kodjia and figured he might just do something amazing of his own making.

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Now you are just being silly. As usual.

Pleased to have that advice too.

Really appreciate the profundity of the argument.

Always willing to learn the errors of my ways.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

No away goal rule mate.

He brought Kodjia on to hold the ball up a bit as we were so deep. I didn't think he was especially poor, or indeed lazy, and he should have had a couple of refereeing decisions too.

I'm almost certain he did more than Hogan would have done, but then I could probably say that about about almost anyone.  

21 hours ago, omariqy said:

Defending well is also playing football well. We didn't look in any danger really. Boro counter well with Adama but let them play and they struggle. 

Very well said, this appears lost on some !

• Like 1

Â