Slovakia v England

andykeenan

10 hours ago, andykeenan said:

Breaking news 

Team for Sunday 

BREAKING: England XI to face Slovakia: Hart, Walker, Cahill, Stones, Rose, Dier, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Sterling, Kane.

It will be interesting to see how the team react in their first outing since the humiliating euros, especially with 8 of tomorrow's team having played in the Iceland match. 

What will be interesting is to see whether Sam can get the players to break down teams that perennially camp on their 18 yard line. This was our biggest failure under woy and we became predictably easy to play against.

I'm also a little surprised Sam has selected essentially the euros squad but think this says more about the state of English players in top flights than Sam at the moment. 

• Like 1

And so the cycle begins again before the next abject failure, rinse and repeat.

Nothing will change because they never actually confront the issues. 

Sam's an improvement on Roy who should never have been allowed to continue after Rio but ultimately the outcomes will be similar.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Mans so the cycle begins again before the next abject failure, rinse and repeat.

Nothing will change because they never actually confront the issues. 

Sam's an improvement on Roy who should never have been allowed to continue after Rio but ultimately the outcomes will be similar.

Unfortunately I fear you could be right. 

There just doesn't appear to be any pride in playing for England anymore. 

The ever increasing ridiculous wage structure and ticket prices in the game is driving a wedge between players and fans, especially in these recent years of austerity and I believe this has an effect on how fans and players see the game. 

Fans want to see 100% effort in every game considering the amounts of money the fortunate few get each week but the players are so far removed from social reality they don't get it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:
5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Is there anything more 'meh' than international football?

Is there anything more 'meh' than international football?

If you look beyond England there is.....

In fairness the euro qualifying is pretty dull (much more interesting in South America with classic match ups...) but at least in this one only group winners get through so good teams will be in play offs such as the Italy Spain group.

I think the big problem is England always seem to be placed in boring groups full of East European teams. At least if they're top seeds have a decent second seed like Holland in there to make things interesting.

Good job the Us open tennis is on as they'd be no sport of interest this weekend. Is Hodgson still manager as the team and formation looks exactly the same. Sterling deserves his place because hes been good but its the same as we had in the euros. 

I'm not too bothered about Allardyce picking the majority of the same players from the euros as let's be honest there is littl else he could've selected. What will be interesting is how he gets them to play. Under Roy they had no game plan, so you'd hope Allardyce has worked on this.

As someone who goes to every tournament, the problem I have with this campaign is that it's hard to get excited about an event to which I have no intention of attending. The way we were attacked by the Russians in Marseille, coupled with their well documented racism, homophobia and organised violence, suggests you'd have to be mental to attend the World Cup in Russia. Especially as an England fan. 

England will qualify, easily, and then after our fans have been badly attacked at every game, we will get knocked out by a country with a population the size of Birmingham. Which will at least be an improvement on the last shambles.

FWIW I expect England to get at least a draw in Slovakia on the way to topping the group. Meaning sod all.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 4

England defence is really poor, if the full backs didnt have pace and good going forward they be playing in Championship maybe even lower level they are that poor defensively

though even more amazing they arent even worst defender on the pitch, Skrtel is still crap after all these years and shouldnt even be on the pitch

Â